Registering dll/ocx problem

RAB

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00
I have a program that too often fail to install. It's most commonly the
crystl32.ocx that failes, but also certain .dll files might fail to
selfregister, with the end result that the application wont install. Most of
this cases can be solved by using regsvr32, register the file and install
the program, but too often this procedure will fail.

the error reported is 'load library fail "path to ocx" get last error
returns 0x000so on"

It seems that no matter what I do, when this error occurs, I can't get this
file registered, resulting in the appllication not beeing able to install. I
do supportwork for this appllication, and naturally find it very frustrating
not beeing able to resolve this issue. I've searched technet to no avail.
Please help somebody.

Any suggestions or ideas you might want to share with me will be greatly
appreciated

Thank you

Kyle McDonald

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00
RAB,

Alot of it is going to depend on what that exact error code is. For
instance, a 0x00000485 means a component that your component needs is
missing or could not be found.

You did not say which OS you were working under - NT from time to time will
have a problem registering components that are in directories with long path
names, or path names with spaces in them.

Can you elaborate on the problem?

Kyle

Addison Software, Inc.
End DLL HELL Now!
Makers of Reveal 3.0 - the industrial demystification tool
http://www.addisonsw.com

"RAB" <kingf...@os.telia.no> wrote in message

RAB

Jan 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/10/00
Your tip was right on spot!

With the help of your company's regdrop (found it on your website mentioned
in the sig) we found the culprit - oledlg.dll was missing!

We might be able to help a few users now :-)

Wish I could try out Reveal 3.0. If regdrop is a sign then Reveal must be
really helpful :-)

"Kyle McDonald" <ky...@addisonsw.com> wrote in message