M2002: Error message "This transaction cannot be entered"

Andy Stevenson

Apr 25, 2004, 5:47:29 PM4/25/04

I'm periodically getting this message when entering transactions. Different
transactions on different accounts. Also occasionally gives me a message
about being unable to write to the Money file.

It's happening more & more frequently; try, try, try again works eventually,
but it's becoming a pain.

I'm also getting a message suggesting I reset reports, once reset I still
get the message.

It's been working fine for the last 2 years or so, & I'll be right miffed if
the thing falls over itself.

It saves a backup file on exit, but I'm not sure I trust it. If it's a file
problem I'm worried I may get the same result using the back up!

Any ideas much appreciated.

TIA.

--
oOo
Andy Stevenson

Glyn Simpson, MVP

Apr 26, 2004, 4:42:33 AM4/26/04
You could have some corruption in your data file. You say that you have a
backup - this could be a good time to review your backup strategy and
perhaps ensure you have more than the one.

With regards the error, try running a repair on the file
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;182608

--
Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money

or email mnyu...@microsoft.com especially if it's a UK specific wish.

"Andy Stevenson" <n...@chance.com> wrote in message

Andy Stevenson

Apr 26, 2004, 5:28:04 PM4/26/04
Glyn Simpson, MVP wrote:
> You could have some corruption in your data file. You say that you
> have a backup - this could be a good time to review your backup
> strategy and perhaps ensure you have more than the one.
>
> With regards the error, try running a repair on the file
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;182608

Thanks Glyn,

The repair failed; it seemed to think it wasn't a valid Money file. However
I've restored from the auto backup that Money does & so far it seems to have
cured the problem.

Reviewing the backup stratagy is a good suggestion, what would you
recommend?

Glyn Simpson, MVP

Apr 27, 2004, 3:52:33 AM4/27/04
Firstly, you can never have too many backups. Money can create two on exit -
one on removable media and the other on a hard drive. If I explain what I
do, perhaps this might help. I have a USB memory stick thing which I use for
my removable backup. I also save (compressed) to disk. In addition, there is
a scheduled task which takes this disk backup and copies it to another file
with a unique date stamp (I've posted it before, so it should be available
on google). This allows me to maintain quite a few backups (I manually
delete some of the older ones, once in a while). My Money file is my second
most important file on my machine (my email is more important), so I don't
want to see it unrepairable. Oh yes, I also export an account as QIF if I
close it. This doesn't happen too often though. And finally, all of this
stuff is copied over the network to another machine.

See also the FAQ entry: http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=69

--
Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money

or email mnyu...@microsoft.com especially if it's a UK specific wish.

"Andy Stevenson" <n...@chance.com> wrote in message

ganda...@gmail.com

Jan 7, 2020, 11:24:43 PM1/7/20
I received this error. Shutting down and restarting MS Money (sunset edition) did not help. Turns out Google "Backup and Sync" was stuck uploading the file to the cloud. When I shutdown "Backup and Sync" the problem went away.