How do I RUN management tools on MSSQL Server Express?

Zy Danielson

Nov 5, 2015, 7:55:47 PM11/5/15
I have installed MSSQL Express both with tools (I thought) and without, then tried to install just the tools to go with it. All I can verify is that my MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS service is running. What I am attempting to do is import an MSSQL database exported to an .SQL file. But I can't find any way to get any Emterprise Management Tools, or some sort of Management Studio, or anything like that to RUN.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, or if I've not installed something that needs to be installed, but any help would sure be appreciated.

Right now I've got a service running and an .SQL file to import, and no user interface to make that happen.

Thanks in advance,
Zy

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 6, 2015, 2:12:38 AM11/6/15
Zy Danielson (z...@zydanielson.com) writes:
> I have installed MSSQL Express both with tools (I thought) and without,
> then tried to install just the tools to go with it. All I can verify is
> that my MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS service is running. What I am attempting to do
> is import an MSSQL database exported to an .SQL file. But I can't find
> any way to get any Emterprise Management Tools, or some sort of
> Management Studio, or anything like that to RUN.

Get SQL Server Management Studio here:
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=sql+server+management+studio+2014

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esq...@sommarskog.se

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

Zy Danielson

Nov 6, 2015, 5:28:42 PM11/6/15
On Friday, November 6, 2015 at 2:12:38 AM UTC-5, Erland Sommarskog wrote:

> Get SQL Server Management Studio here:
> https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=sql+server+management+studio+2014

Hello Erland,

Thank you for the quick reply. When I went to that google search page, I chose the following URL:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt238290.aspx
On that page, all I saw to download was this:
"Download SQL Server Management Studio October 2015 preview" (a link)
I clicked that link and installed the program.
It restarted my computer.

And now? I don't see anything to click, any way to initiate interaction with the program "SQL Server Management Studio." What am I missing? Is there no GUI and I have to open a command window to interact on a command line? If so, where can I find documentation to help me know what I'm doing?

Command line tools are powerful. Sometimes too powerful if the user doesn't know what they are doing. I was hoping for a GUI solution. But if that link installed one, I don't know how to make the program load.

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 7, 2015, 11:37:29 AM11/7/15
Zy Danielson (z...@zydanielson.com) writes:
> Thank you for the quick reply. When I went to that google search page, I
> chose the following URL:
> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt238290.aspx
> On that page, all I saw to download was this:
> "Download SQL Server Management Studio October 2015 preview" (a link)
> I clicked that link and installed the program.
> It restarted my computer.

Sorry, my intention was to give a link to the SSMS 2014 download.
The SSMS 2016 works OK, but there is an issue with the uninstall if
you are on SQL 7.

> And now? I don't see anything to click, any way to initiate interaction
> with the program "SQL Server Management Studio." What am I missing? Is
> there no GUI and I have to open a command window to interact on a
> command line? If so, where can I find documentation to help me know what
> I'm doing?

It should be in the Microsoft SQL Server program group in the Start
Menu. Although, if you are on Windows 8, you don't have a start menu.
In that case you will go and find it C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft
SQL Server. Or install Classic Shell to get a Start Menu.
(http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/)

Zy Danielson

Nov 7, 2015, 2:46:50 PM11/7/15
On Saturday, November 7, 2015 at 11:37:29 AM UTC-5, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Sorry, my intention was to give a link to the SSMS 2014 download.
> The SSMS 2016 works OK, but there is an issue with the uninstall if
> you are on SQL 7.

Since you say the SSMS 2016 works OK, I decided to try to find a GUI application to load instead of going through an extensive uninstall and then install of SSMS 2014. So my comments below are addressed to the SSMS 2016.

> It should be in the Microsoft SQL Server program group in the Start
> Menu. Although, if you are on Windows 8, you don't have a start menu.
> In that case you will go and find it C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft
> SQL Server. Or install Classic Shell to get a Start Menu.

I am using Windows 8.1 without Classic Shell.
When I go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server
there are exactly 7 folders in that directory. They are:
80
90
100
110
120
130
Client SDK
I drilled down through each of these folders looking for an executable application file (exe), ignoring application extension files (dll) since they won't execute. I didn't find an exe file that looked like I should click it for a GUI interface. Could you tell me the exact path and name of the exe file I should be looking for?

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 8, 2015, 4:26:29 AM11/8/15
Zy Danielson (z...@zydanielson.com) writes:
> I drilled down through each of these folders looking for an executable
> application file (exe), ignoring application extension files (dll) since
> they won't execute. I didn't find an exe file that looked like I should
> click it for a GUI interface. Could you tell me the exact path and name
> of the exe file I should be looking for?

The link on my machine is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL
Server\130\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Ssms.exe".

I run Windows 7, and I also have SSMS 2016 on Windows 10. I have never
seen Windows 8.1, so I can help specifically with that OS, but as I
understand it, 8.1 has a start menu.

Beware that the page you went to points to a web installer, so the
direct download will not give you much.

Zy Danielson

Nov 8, 2015, 3:07:19 PM11/8/15
Thank you, Erland. When I went in and looked at my installations (Programs and Features) I saw installations of 2010, 2012, 2014, and 2016 stuff, all installed within 2 days of each other! I'm not sure what I did, but obviously I wasn't careful enough with the installs.

I uninstalled what I could, and then did a system restore to prior to when I started experimenting with MSSQL Express. I'm going to reinstall next week, being very careful to stick with 2014 on everything, unless you have some better advice for me. But thanks for the name of the exe. I'll look for it once I get what looks like a successful 2014 install.

And just FYI, Windows 8.1 is in the same boat as Windows 8. No start menu. I intend to upgrade my office computers to Windows 10 in a month or so. But first have to address some compatibility issues with some old clients I'm still supporting.

I'll follow up on this thread after my "full 2014" installation next week, just in case anyone else is following here. The attentiveness you have shown is very much appreciated.

Best Wishes,
Zy