Merge Replication Error: Column names in each table must be unique.

Noman Qureshi

Dec 29, 2004, 6:44:47 PM12/29/04
Hello All

I am new to SQL and facing problem creating merge replication, searched MS
site but found nothing on it

I have created a new merge publication with all the tables in a DB, this
error occurs wile snapshot agent starts to create the snapshot error is

Snapshot Agent Error Details

Error:
"Column names in each table must be unique. Column name 'PubID' in table
'aonflict_NomBilling_PubPage' is specified more than once."

Category = Data source
Source = sqlserver1
Number = 2705

At this point the snap shot agent aborts

Any advice/solution

Thanks & Regards

Qazi M.

Hilary Cotter

Dec 29, 2004, 7:02:19 PM12/29/04
there are some reserved column names in merge replication. PubID is one of
them, others are: reason_code, source_object, reason_text,
conflict_type, origin_datasource, tablenick, and create_time.

If any of your tables have columns with these names in them, your snapshot
will fail with a message similar to the one you are getting.

You will have to change the column names for this to work.

--
Hilary Cotter
Looking for a SQL Server replication book?
"Noman Qureshi" <no...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Noman Qureshi

Dec 29, 2004, 7:22:28 PM12/29/04
Thanks for you reply Hilary
The table and column is in use of five applications, is there any other
workaround for this problem

(else have to modify and recompile all the applications)

"Hilary Cotter" <hilary...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> there are some reserved column names in merge replication. PubID is one of
> them, others are: reason_code, source_object, reason_text,
> conflict_type, origin_datasource, tablenick, and create_time.
>
> If any of your tables have columns with these names in them, your snapshot
> will fail with a message similar to the one you are getting.
>
> You will have to change the column names for this to work.
>
> --
> Hilary Cotter
> Looking for a SQL Server replication book?
> http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602.html
> "Noman Qureshi" <no...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello All
>>

>> I am facing problem creating merge replication, searched MS site but

Kestutis Adomavicius

Dec 30, 2004, 11:48:04 AM12/30/04
You could create a "mirror table", with the only difference from original -
changed name of problematic column. And you could include this table in
replication. Of course you would gave to make sure that all the actions
(insert/update/delete) which are done on original table, would also be done
on "mirror table" and vice versa. That could be done by triggers, hopefully
without big problems.

--
Regards,
Kestutis Adomavicius

"Noman Qureshi" <no...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Hilary Cotter

Dec 30, 2004, 12:37:33 PM12/30/04
If your tables are small, you could have the application write to views
which correspond to the underlying tables, only the column names in the
underlying tables are correct, but pubid would be in the view. If the tables
are larger you would have to go with indexed views.

--
Hilary Cotter
Looking for a SQL Server replication book?
http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602.html

Noman Qureshi

Dec 30, 2004, 2:11:44 PM12/30/04
Thanks for the reply Hilary, Kestutis

We have decided that it is batter to update the applications and rename the
problematic column, that will make our DB more compliant to (MS) standards
and will be beneficial for us in the future, who knows what we will get in
the next patch/sp or future version of SQL . We have forwarded the column
names provided by Hilary to our development team so they can avoid them in
the future.

Thanks again
Regards & Best Wishes

Noman Qureshi
"Even impossible says I M Possible"

"Hilary Cotter" <hilary...@gmail.com> wrote in message

عبدالله فيصل

Dec 13, 2023, 11:41:32 AM12/13/23
the best solution :
let column name error : dept_no
1.create temporary table as name temp_dept_no and pk of table let name dept_id
2.copy data of dept_no column into table (temp_dept_no)
3.drop column from each server (dept_no)
4.create column in table from main server name (dept_no)
5.move data from table temp_dept_no using pk of dept_id