Microsoft / Timeline patents

Lutz Morrien

Feb 24, 2003, 7:16:44 AM2/24/03
I just learned that Microsoft lost a process against
Timeline. Does anybody know what impact this might have
on working with Analysis Services? (If any at all)

Check the timeline patent here:

http://www.timeline.com/PatentMemo.pdf

lutz

Eric Bowden

Feb 24, 2003, 11:59:24 AM2/24/03
Also

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/53/29419.html and
http://news.com.com/2100-1001-985359.html

Sounds like Timeline has patents on just about everything relating to OLAP
and datawarehousing.

Very scary!

Timeline has granted licenses to Oracle, Hyperion, Crystal etc etc.....
Sounds like Microsoft thought they could cheap out on the licnense and leave
developers holding the bag.

Does anyone know the details on this? Funny how there is NO mention of this
on Microsofts web site.

"Lutz Morrien" <lutz.m...@ocb.com> wrote in message

some username

Feb 24, 2003, 11:15:47 PM2/24/03
What is even worse is that this message (at the moment anyhow) is only
accessible from a newsgroup reader. I can read every message from this
group on the MS web site but this one. Strange. Seems as though they are
going to keep this quiet.

"Eric Bowden" <ehbo...@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message

Lutz Morrien

Feb 25, 2003, 4:28:24 AM2/25/03
I still do not really know what impact it could have on
my work concerning Analysis Services. I guess nothing
will change until MS or Timeline says otherwise.

Can anyone put the effects in simple terms?

TIA

Lutz

Nigel Pendse

Feb 25, 2003, 5:16:38 AM2/25/03

> I still do not really know what impact it could have on
> my work concerning Analysis Services. I guess nothing
> will change until MS or Timeline says otherwise.

I don't believe any ordinary users of Analysis Services are affected
in any way. Nor is Microsoft directly. Both are covered by Microsoft's
original $5m patent settlement with Timeline.

But some Microsoft partners who sell pre-built apps which
automatically create SQL Server data marts from ERP systems may have
to pay royalties to Timeline, unless Microsoft negotiates some sort of
global settlement on their behalf. They, like Microsoft, may have
thought that Microsoft's original settlement with Timeline covered
them, but it seems that it did not.

Nigel Pendse
OLAP Solutions
http://www.olapreport.com

Kris Kaminski

Feb 25, 2003, 1:39:16 PM2/25/03
if you read the timeline memo, it basically put the onus on the
individual analysis services user to sift through their 500 ridiculous
patents to determine whether or not they are in violation. of course,
the patents are so vague that basically anyone doing OLAP or data
warehousing in any way, shape or form seems to be infringing on their
"property."

it will be interesting to see how this gets handled in sql server
2003. i would think that MS will have to take care of business with
timeline with this release, and then SQL server 2000 customers will be
pushed to upgrade in a hurry as to not have to worry about whether or
not they owe timeline any money.

aaron...@hotmail.com

Feb 27, 2003, 6:54:22 PM2/27/03
why dont they just buy Timeline and get it over with..

and oracle while they're at it..

no-- they should wait for a year after yukon comes out when oracle goes TU

Tom Chester

Feb 27, 2003, 11:07:58 PM2/27/03
Once upon a time this outfit (timeline) asked me my opinion as to whether
their technology was patentable. I had to stifle a loud GUFFAW. The fact
that they were able to parlay their ordinary, non-innovative little utility
into a patent on aggregation of financial data is a bad joke. <stepping off
soapbox>

tom @ the domain below
www.tomchester.net

<aaron...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Kris Kaminski

Feb 28, 2003, 9:38:05 AM2/28/03
hi tom-

i think we all agree on your assessment, however the judgement has
been made, and there has not been word one from microsoft as far as i
have seen. so, what do you think this means for analysis services in
the big picture?

thanks,

kk

Tom Chester

Feb 28, 2003, 10:29:17 AM2/28/03
You got me Kris. I suppose an accomodation will be reached between MS and
timeline. Even though it irks me, I'm not losing sleep over it.

tom @ the domain below
www.tomchester.net