Huge log file size

£Jim

Mar 14, 2008, 10:37:51 AM3/14/08
Hi,
I have a database that's a 1.2GB file, but it's log file is 122GB.
There are a lot of import transactions overnight that probably account
for it but how can I reduce the size and what settings should I use to
keep it smaller?
Thanks

Ekrem Önsoy

Mar 14, 2008, 5:07:51 AM3/14/08
It looks it's too big then it's supposed to be. So you should take control
of it.

You can plan to change the recovery model to BULK LOGGED or SIMPLE when you
perform bulk operations. However you should backup your database before and
after changing your databases rovery model. So, unnecessary operations will
not be logged. And by taking backups you'll ensure you won't experience data
loss during this operation.

You can truncate and then shrink your transaction log. However, you should
consider keeping your transaction log's file size greater then a certain
size. You'll determine this according to your environment and needs. You
better read Tibor's favourite article about this.
http://www.karaszi.com/SQLServer/info_dont_shrink.asp

--
Ekrem Önsoy

"ŁJim" <hoo...@some.net> wrote in message

£Jim

Mar 14, 2008, 11:44:04 AM3/14/08
Interesting information, though now I'm confused about recovering the
database. If I do a full database backup to disk that takes 1.3GB. Is
that not sufficient for disaster recovery of the database? It has very
little data but some stored procedures that operate on another database.

Ekrem Önsoy

Mar 14, 2008, 4:54:57 AM3/14/08
I think there is a confusion here. I suggest you to take a look at the
following link:

Ekrem Önsoy