URGENT: SQL Error 9003

Igor A. Chechet

Jun 14, 2005, 2:32:29 AM6/14/05
Greetings!

Recently I detached database from SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager. When I
try to attach it, I got a message: Error 9003: The LSN (8855:5583:1) passed
to log scan in database 'contacts' is invalid. I have SQL Server 2000 with
SP3 installed. All MDF and LDF files are present. Please help me to resolve
this problem.

Thank you
Igor A. Chechet

Tibor Karaszi

Jun 14, 2005, 5:22:17 AM6/14/05
If you detached it first and have all the files then an attach should work. If it doesn't, you need
to work with MS Support (especially if it is urgent) so they can try to hunt down why it doesn't
work in your particular case.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp

Igor A. Chechet

Jun 14, 2005, 6:14:45 AM6/14/05
Solution:

1. Create Database with exact name and mdf-ldf files

2. Stop MSSQLSERVER service, replace created mdf file with original one

3. Start MSSQLSERVER service, the database will be in Suspend mode

4. From Query Analyzer (QA) execute script

use master

go

sp_configure 'allow updates', 1

reconfigure with override

go

5. From QA execute script

update sysdatabases set status= 32768 where name = '<db_name>'

6. Restart MSSQLSERVER service, the database will be in Emergency mode

7. Rebuild Log. From QA execute script

DBCC REBUILD_LOG('<db_name>', '<full name to new log file>'). You got a
message - Warning: The log for database '<db_name>' has been rebuilt.

8. From QA execute script

Use master

go

sp_configure 'allow updates', 0

Go

9. Clear from Enterprise Manager on database properties options tab Restrict
access checkbox

It works

Igor A. Chechet

Tibor Karaszi

Jun 14, 2005, 6:25:35 AM6/14/05
DBCC REBUILD_LOG will try to create a tlog for you, but it doesn't care if you have an inconsistent
database. If you can accept inconsistent data, or verify your existent data, this *might* be OK. But
in most cases you prefer a consistent database from an earlier point in time to an inconsistent
database.

ellisw...@gmail.com

Oct 10, 2014, 7:03:55 AM10/10/14
There are three methods to fix SQL Error 9003
1) Restore from backup
2) Reinstall SQL Server
3) DBCC Implementation

If these methods are failed to attach database, then you must use third party tool which can help you to fix this error & successfully attach the SQL database.

One such tool that you can use is http://www.sqlrecoverysoftware.net/blog/sql-error-9003.html

Hopefully you will be able to resolve this error and successfully attach your SQL Server database with it.