Cannot configure SQL Server 2005 during install

Alex

Dec 8, 2005, 3:00:02 PM12/8/05
During the installation process of SQL Server 2005, Setup complains it cannot
connect to the database service for server configuration. The error was:
[Microsoft][SQL Native Client]Shared Memory Provider: No process is on the
other end of the pipe.
I have checked that the pipe exists (\\.\pipe\SQLLocal\MyInstance), but
everytime the installer attempts the connecting the pipe is closed by the
server and another is reopened. That's why the Client says there is no
process on the other end of the pipe.
I have re-installed 'everything', tried connections via TCP, but nothing
works.
I have made a small application to connect to the pipe and noticed that
there are 3 instances of the pipe running, one that I am connecting to, and 2
listening pipes. If I write to 'my' pipe SQL server disconnects the pipe and
reopens another too. The difference is that SQL server writes an error
message in the log file. No such luck when the Native client is doing the
same.
What more can I do?

Alex

Dec 10, 2005, 3:16:02 PM12/10/05
I finaly found the problem to be the certificate used.
I noticed that a certificate was added to the machinekeys just recently.
(in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys)

I renamed it to another name and re-installed sql server.
I noticed that sql server ERRORLOG complained about certificate that it
couldn't load and the generation of a self-generaed certificate (see below)

"2005-12-10 21:01:02.30 Server The server could not load the
certificate it needs to initiate an SSL connection. It returned the following
error: 0x8009030d. Check certificates to make sure they are valid.
2005-12-10 21:01:02.49 Server A self-generated certificate was
successfully loaded for encryption."

Now the installation succeeded