Active/Active Two Node Cluster and Default instance

Gopinath Rajee

Jul 12, 2010, 8:39:14 PM7/12/10
All,

I'm new to clustering. We are trying to set up an Active-Active cluster
consisting of two nodes with each of the two SQLServer nodes hosting
multiple databases. We followed the two step approach in installing and
configuring the nodes. We setup SQLServer on the first node with default
instance and when we were trying to install SQLServer on the second node
with default instance it gave an error leading us to believe that it might
not allow the second node also to be a Default instance.

Please Let me know if our assumption is correct.

OS --> Windows 2008
SQL --> SQLServer 2008

grajee

Mohit K. Gupta

Aug 13, 2010, 6:18:03 PM8/13/10
Correct. In a single cluster configuration you are only allowed to have ONE
default instance.

Default instance are actually old; Microsoft has left them their for
backwards compatibility. Now when I set up SQL Instances I usually just use
named instances :D.

--
Mohit K. Gupta
B.Sc. CS, Minor Japanese