How to move MSDTC to another Cluster Group?

Ada

Sep 8, 2010, 9:44:03 PM9/8/10
Hello,

We have 2-node, 1-instance clsuter (64-bit Windows 2003 and 64-bit SQL
2005). We now want to add another sql instance. Currently, MSDTC resource is
under the existing sql cluster group.

We want to move it to a new its own cluster group, or move it to the cluster
group along with Quorum, Cluster name, cluster ip resources.

Is it as easy as removing from one cluster group and adding to another group?

Thanks,

Ada
--
SQL Server DBA

sporren

Sep 9, 2010, 6:05:03 PM9/9/10
Hi Ada,

We have that exact same configuration. 2-node (64-bit Windows 2003 and
64-bit SQL
2005).

We have MSDTC in its own group containing an IP, Network Name, Disk and the
MSDTC itself.

Do you have MSDTC on a disk that you share with your SQL instance? In this
case you will have to create a new disk and assign it to your new group and
move MSDTC here.

Then we have one group for each SQL instance and one for the base cluster
(Quorum, IP, Net Name)

Ada

Sep 10, 2010, 1:21:03 PM9/10/10
"Do you have MSDTC on a disk that you share with your SQL instance?"

Yes. But we might have to use the cluster group since we may not have a
separate disk.

Thanks,

--
SQL Server DBA