Multi-instance cluster

Sas

Jun 30, 2010, 2:25:37 PM6/30/10
Hello All,

I haven't done much digging yet but I have to build a sql server 2008 R2
cluster with 2 nodes. The configuration must be "active/Active" or what we
now call Multi-instance cluster.

I just need confirmation on the following:

1. If I need one SQL server running on Node1 and another sql server running
on node2, then I need 2 instances of SQL Server on each node (in order to
failover in case 1 node goes down). Right?

2. This means I need to install SQL Server twice on each node.

3. I will need at least 2 resource groups (1 for each instance).

Thank you
Sas
"I saw it work in a cartoon once so I am pretty sure I can do it."

Mohit K. Gupta

Aug 13, 2010, 6:20:03 PM8/13/10
1. If I need one SQL server running on Node1 and another sql server running
on node2, then I need 2 instances of SQL Server on each node (in order to
failover in case 1 node goes down). Right?

-- Actually when installing SQL Server you do not need to separately install
it on passive node. Once you select the node the installer will
automatically install it for you. But yes you will need to have two separate
installs of SQL Server.

2. This means I need to install SQL Server twice on each node.

-- Reference answer above, install once; installer with do other install
when you select passive node.

3. I will need at least 2 resource groups (1 for each instance).

-- Correct.

--
Mohit K. Gupta
B.Sc. CS, Minor Japanese