Network Binding Order Warning when setup sql 2008 cluster on win20

Yuhong

Nov 12, 2008, 4:29:03 PM11/12/08
I got a network binding order warning when I try to install sql 2008 cluster.
I have change the binding order through the network connection, advanced
settings. But that did not work. Any ideas what is going on?
Thanks in advance for your help!
--
Yuhong

Geoff N. Hiten

Nov 12, 2008, 9:22:12 PM11/12/08

Here is the relevant section of the page:

• Failover cluster Setup operations include a rule that checks network
binding order. Although binding orders might seem correct, you might have
disabled or "ghosted" NIC configurations on the system. "Ghosted" NIC
configurations can affect the binding order and cause the binding order rule
to issue a warning. To avoid this situation, use the following steps to
identify and remove disabled network adapters:
1. At a command prompt, type: set devmgr_Show_Nonpersistent_Devices=1.
2. Type and run: start Devmgmt.msc.
3. Expand the list of network adapters. Only the physical adapters should be
in the list. If you have a disabled network adapter, Setup will report a
failure for the network binding order rule. Control Panel/Network
Connections will also show that adapter was disabled. Confirm that Network
Settings in Control Panel shows the same list of enabled physical adaptors
that devmgmt.msc shows.
4. Remove disabled network adapters before you run SQL Server Setup.
5. After Setup finishes, return to Network Connections in Control Panel and
disable any network adapters that are not currently in use.

--
Geoff N. Hiten
Principal SQL Infrastructure Consultant

"Yuhong" <Yuh...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Yuhong

Nov 13, 2008, 9:41:02 AM11/13/08
Thanks for the info, Geoff!
I went through the steps as instructed and everything looks good. But I
still get the warning:
---
"Rule "Network binding order" generated a warning. The domain network is not
the first bound network. This will cause domain operations to run slowly and
can cause timeouts that result in failures. Use the Windows network advanced
configurations to change the binding order."
---
I am configuring the sql server on a 2 node cluster. There are only 2
physical NIC on each server. One for the heartbeat and one for the domain
public network. Don't know where to look now. I am thinking of reinstalling
everything from square one. Any suggestions?
Thanks again for your help!

--
Yuhong

Geoff N. Hiten

Nov 14, 2008, 9:42:42 AM11/14/08
I would leave it alone. The warning is only meaningful on clusters with
multiple public, routed NICs.

Unbind NETBIOS from the heartbeat NICs and Windows must use the public NICs
to find a domain host.

You should be just fine.

--
Geoff N. Hiten
Principal SQL Infrastructure Consultant
Microsoft SQL Server MVP

"Yuhong" <Yuh...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Yuhong

Nov 14, 2008, 11:52:01 AM11/14/08
Great, then I will go ahead with my installation. Thanks again for your help!!

umut gunes

May 2, 2011, 5:07:43 AM5/2/11
Hi
how can you unbind NETBIOS from the heartbeat NICs on windows 2008 R2 on vmware?