Windows 2008 Verification of Failover Cluster...

Rich@discussions.microsoft.com J. Rich

Aug 15, 2008, 2:36:25 PM8/15/08
Hello all,

I was curious if there was a documented check list similar to the list
available in the Windows 2003 Server Clustering manual that describes how to
verify step-by-step a fail-over cluster in 2008. For example Initiating a
failure of a resource or a drive or powering off a node to verify failover is
occuring. I noticed when I validated and created my cluster it did several
tests on the drives during these processes. I was curious if there was an
post-cluster check list I need to verify as well before I attempt to install
SQL. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
Thank you for your time.

Geoff N. Hiten

Aug 17, 2008, 1:28:30 PM8/17/08
I haven't seen a Windows 2008 specific validation document. However, the
basic functionality of a cluster isn't any different than in Windows 2005.
The same validation checks should work just fine.

You will need to go ahead and create a new applicaiton group and move the
disk resource(s) into that group before installing SQL.

--
Geoff N. Hiten
Principal SQL Infrastructure Consultant

"J. Rich" <J. Ri...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Kriginis

Sep 9, 2008, 5:07:01 PM9/9/08
I am reciving a message during installation of SQL 2008 on a cluster -

Rule "Microsoft Cluster Service (MSCS) cluster verification errors" failed
The cluster either has not been verified or there are errors or failures in
the verification report. Refer to KB953748 or SQL server Books Online for
more information.

The problem is that the KB does not exist and I cannot find a verification
report. There is a Validation report... maybe same thing.

Robert Tibor Gajdzica

Oct 2, 2008, 6:46:49 AM10/2/08
I have same problem. Unfortunately still no solution.

"Kriginis" <Krig...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Robert Tibor Gajdzica

Oct 10, 2008, 3:37:56 AM10/10/08
I managed to workaround this issue.
First of all I have to find source of this error in Cluster validation
report (c:\windows\cluster\reports...), in my case I had two NICs with same
MAC (because of NIC teaming). Then I started Cluster Validation Wizzard
again and unchecked failing test. After that I was able to install SQL 2008.

Robert

"Robert Tibor Gajdzica" <ti...@imperium.cz> wrote in message

A@discussions.microsoft.com Steve A

Nov 19, 2008, 12:46:11 AM11/19/08
I literally spent two days on this before finding the resolution.

The problem occured for me on a fresh install of Windows 2008 with a brand
new cluster scripted from a batch file. I go to run an install of SQL 2008
from a batch file and I get the kb953748 error. Fresh install of Windows,
fresh cluster, fresh SQL... error message.

To resolve, you have to open Failover Cluster Management and under Manage
select to Validate the Cluster Configuration. Go through the process of
actually getting the validation report complete and then your cluster install
will go through.

rl

Jan 30, 2009, 12:33:02 PM1/30/09
Hi Steve,

I followed all the steps metioned below and the validation passed
susscessfully without any errors and warnings, but I still get the MSCS
cluster validation error.

Can you help me resolve it.

Thanks.

Mat Bloor

Sep 11, 2009, 8:31:38 AM9/11/09
Did you ever find a resolution to this?

url:http://www.ureader.com/msg/11421295.aspx

daveberm

Sep 15, 2009, 11:21:52 AM9/15/09
On Sep 11, 8:31 am, "Mat Bloor"<m...@me.com> wrote:
> Did you ever find a resolution to this?
>
> url:http://www.ureader.com/msg/11421295.aspx

You should validate your cluster, but in the case of a multi-site
cluster where storage validation is not possible, you will need to
skip this validation test during install. I suppose you could use
this method if you are sure you have passed validation and are still
having problems. In order to skip validation, you will need to
install SQL 2008 via the command line.

At a command prompt, change to the folder that contains SQL Server
Setup (Setup.exe). Then, type one of the following commands to skip
the validation rule:

For an integrated failover setup, run the following command on each
node that is being added:

Setup /SkipRules=Cluster_VerifyForErrors /
Action=InstallFailoverCluster

For an advanced or enterprise installation, run the following
command:

Setup /SkipRules=Cluster_VerifyForErrors /
Action=CompleteFailoverCluster

To add the additional Nodes, the following command works

Setup /SkipRules=Cluster_VerifyForErrors /Action=AddNode

Gordon Jeanes

Sep 1, 2011, 9:19:05 AM9/1/11
Unfortunately, a multi-site cluster is exempt from passing the storage related test, so you never are able to actually ?pass? the validation as far as SQL is concerned. It took a little investigation on my part, but what I have come to find is that there is a command line parameter that allows you to skip the validation test on the SQL 2008 installation. Here is the command line.