How to send GPS data to remote server through GPRS in C#.NET

Ali

Jul 15, 2005, 6:15:02 AM7/15/05
Hi..i am trying to send gps data(latitude,longitude etc)to a remote
server on internet through GPRS using C#..My application runs on a
imate PDA..I have used socket programming n my program is working good
on simple LAN..
I want to know that is there some extra thing to do to connect to a
remote server on internet through GPRS..if yes wat r the steps or wat
extra code n settings are??
I am new to PDA programming n using PDA emulator for testing.. so plz
help me n tell even trivial things.. thanks
Ali

Alex Feinman [MVP]

Jul 15, 2005, 4:20:29 PM7/15/05
You don't want sockets. You want to write a web service and consume it from
the device to send the data up to the server

--
Alex Feinman
---
"Ali" <ali.t...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Alex Feinman [MVP]

Jul 17, 2005, 1:11:41 AM7/17/05
Not at all. You can have a background thread that periodically sends data
using HTTP post. Granted, there is a bit of overhead, but the programming is
much simpler than sockets, and besides you don't need to keep an open
connection

--
Alex Feinman
---

> Thanks for the reply but u cant send data continuosly from a form.. i
> mean each time u have to send data u have to click some button to
> generate an event..so uptill now the only solution i found is to use
> sockets...i hope u understand and if u have any solution than plz do
> tell me..

qbuster

Jul 17, 2005, 7:11:01 AM7/17/05

"Alex Feinman [MVP]" wrote:

> Not at all. You can have a background thread that periodically sends data
> using HTTP post. Granted, there is a bit of overhead, but the programming is
> much simpler than sockets, and besides you don't need to keep an open
> connection
>
> --
> Alex Feinman

Alex

That sounds like the ideal approach but I am completely new to PocketPC
programming....are there any code samples of how to set up aa background HTTP
thread?

Thanks

Will Chapman

Ali

Jul 19, 2005, 1:26:35 PM7/19/05
ya thats a good idea... but i have already developed the application
using sockets...Plz tell me if i create a Smart Device Project with
sockets,, Will it connnect to internet through gprs.. my application
connects using TcpClient class and server uses TcpListener..plz tell me
soon..its important for me...Thanks

qbuster

Jul 19, 2005, 2:17:04 PM7/19/05

"Ali" wrote:

I have similar interests. I have a simialr app running on Palm OS devices
(Treo). I capture NMea strings via a GPS device attached to the Treo serial
port and, using a timer loop, I then send the NMea string to a server via
TCPIP. It works brilliantly without any separate threads (just the timer
loop). What I need to do with some urgency is re-create the same
functionality on a PPC GPS-enabled Smartphone (ideally, the Ipaq hw6515).

Will Chapman

Alex Feinman [MVP]

Jul 19, 2005, 6:43:25 PM7/19/05
You can absolutely use TcpListener and TcpClient in Smart Device project. If
you already have the code that works for you on the desktop, simply port it
to the device. I'm not sure if you will need any changes, but if yes,
they'll be very minimal

--
Alex Feinman
---
Visit http://www.opennetcf.org
"Ali" <ali.t...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Alex Feinman [MVP]

Jul 19, 2005, 6:47:19 PM7/19/05
I can't think of any examples, but I'm sure you can try searching for one.
What you need to do is to create a thread (System.Threading.Thread), start
it and then loop inside it (checking some sort of global flag so that you
can quit the thread if needed),
Inside the thread loop wait for a period of time, then check if there is any
data to send (I suggest stuffing data structures with coordinates into a
Queue object) and if there is, create an instance of the web service and
call a method that sends the data. You might want to group multiple data
items into an array and send the array to enhance performance

--
Alex Feinman
---
Visit http://www.opennetcf.org

"qbuster" <qbu...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ali

Jul 16, 2005, 11:02:37 AM7/16/05

Ali

Jul 22, 2005, 1:48:25 AM7/22/05
ill try n than tell u the results..Thanks for all the guidance:-)

mike_nz

Oct 18, 2005, 11:53:06 AM10/18/05
Here's good working example

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetcomp/html/PPCSignatureApp.asp

only problem being i can't get it to work over gprs? I keep getting host
unknown errors.

Garbarek

Mar 21, 2011, 12:30:37 PM3/21/11
responding to
http://www.1-script.com/forums/How-to-send-GPS-data-to-remote-server-through-GPRS-in-C-NET-article801--15.htm
Garbarek wrote:

Ali wrote:

Hi

I'm new to this, i need to send a XML file through GPRS using C#. I need
to transfer files between a PDA and a Server. Can you help me? Send me
some examples maybe? ~

Thanks in advance