SSP backup

Shah

Jul 16, 2009, 11:21:02 AM7/16/09
Hi : ssp questions!! Thanks in advance

1. Using this command to backup ssp
stsadm -o backup -directory \\server\share -item farm\sspname -backupmethod
full -overwrite

The overwrite flag is not working.Its creating new backups
Why?

2.Looking at the ssp backup log..there is a list of items included in the
backup.Even when I include the farm\sspname under the -item flag,looks like
it included every thing on the farm like the config database and other stuff
that are not really under that perticular ssp .Is this normal?

3. (this is different environent than in 1.) Im trying to backup ssp but the
sql server service account is a local account so it is not possible to use a
shared directory for backup.Is this possible to use a shared directory on the
database server-- so the local sql server service account can access it?Or
this account has to ba domain account for ssp backup to work?

xuemei chang [MSFT]

Jul 17, 2009, 1:49:25 AM7/17/09

Thanks for your post.

1. The "overwrite" parameter is not used for catastrophic backup, it is
only used for site collection backup, so if you use "overwrite" in your SSP
backup, it will not overwrite the folder, and the spbr* folders are
automatically created. For more information about Backup: Stsadm operation,
please refer to: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263441.aspx

2. I think it is normal. If the backup completes successfully, the Command
Prompt window displays the following text: Completed with 0 warnings;
Completed with 0 errors; Backup completed successfully. For more
information about SSP Backup, please refer to:
3. I think you can use the shared directory on the database server, you
should grant "Change" and "Read" permission of the folder to these
accounts: your local account(SQL server service account) and the SharePoint
Central Administration application poll identity account, and then on the
"Security", grant all the permission except "full control" to these two
accounts. For more information about creating a shared folder on the
network, please refer to:

Hope it can help you.

Best Regards,
Xuemei Chang
Microsoft Online Support

xuemei chang [MSFT]

Jul 21, 2009, 12:54:35 AM7/21/09
Hello,

I am interested in this issue. Would you mind letting me know the result of
the suggestions? If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know.
I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Have a nice day!

heidarn...@gmail.com

Oct 13, 2015, 4:46:56 AM10/13/15
hi every body,
i don't use overwrite parameter but that happens... why????
i have a starnge problem in farm backup. for 7 days full farm backup does not create the seperate folder for example everyday create same fordername "spbr0042" in earlier,The spbr* folders are automatically created for example spbr0040,spbr0041,spbr0042,.... i have confused about this matter