How to paste multiple-value data into a Choice field in Datasheet View

GK

Sep 17, 2009, 6:12:07 PM9/17/09
I recently knocked my head against the wall trying to figure out how
to paste Excel data into a SharePoint list where one of the fields in
the list was a Choice field (checkbox), with multiple selections
possible. It kept giving an error. I could find no documentation for
this issue anywhere, and would like to share the solution I eventually
discovered.

In Datasheet view, multiple values in such a field may look something
like this:
A;D;F
where A, D and F each represent one of the multiple values in the
field.

If you export the list data to a spreadsheet, the values mentioned
above will display like this:
A;#D;#F

If the spreadsheet is still linked to the list, you can, of course,
simply edit that field using the same approach -- a semi-colon and a
pound sign as a separator between the items. You would expect that the
same format would work for pasting data from
an Excel spreadsheet into the Datasheet view of a list. However, this
is
not the case.

In order to successfully import the values given in the example above,
those values in Excel must be formatted like this:
;#A;#D;#F;#

In other words, a ";#" must appear at the beginning and end of the
selections, in addition to being used as a separator.

stevefairclough

Nov 23, 2009, 9:41:32 AM11/23/09
Been struggling with this for the last 2 hours and have just found your post explaining the solution.

Thank you so much for posting this after you had solved your own problem. I think you've saved me a few more hours !!.

Cheers

Steve

GK wrote:

How to paste multiple-value data into a Choice field in Datasheet View
18-Sep-09

On 18 September 2009 00:25
GK wrote:

How to paste multiple-value data into a Choice field in Datasheet View

Excel Interactive Tab Selection And Display
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/fd4f76d6-0068-4b6b-a9aa-0bc1b957e707/excel-interactive-tab-sel.aspx

williamgarvey

Jan 13, 2010, 4:48:08 PM1/13/10
A real time saver - thanks for posting this valuable nugget!

GK wrote:

How to paste multiple-value data into a Choice field in Datasheet View
18-Sep-09

I recently knocked my head against the wall trying to figure out how

On Friday, September 18, 2009 12:25 AM
GK wrote:

How to paste multiple-value data into a Choice field in Datasheet View

On Monday, November 23, 2009 9:41 AM
Steve Fairclough wrote:

Brilliant !, Many thanks.

Been struggling with this for the last 2 hours and have just found your post explaining the solution.

Thank you so much for posting this after you had solved your own problem. I think you've saved me a few more hours !!.

Cheers

Steve

Geocoding / Address Validation with MSN Virtual Earth
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/86902f8d-0b1b-45e6-888f-80fa2d6938a5/geocoding--address-valid.aspx

mus...@gmail.com

Aug 3, 2012, 6:33:50 PM8/3/12
On Thursday, September 17, 2009 5:12:07 PM UTC-5, GK wrote:
> I recently knocked my head against the wall trying to figure out how to paste Excel data into a SharePoint list where one of the fields in the list was a Choice field (checkbox), with multiple selections possible. It kept giving an error. I could find no documentation for this issue anywhere, and would like to share the solution I eventually discovered.In Datasheet view, multiple values in such a field may look something like this:A;D;F where A, D and F each represent one of the multiple values in thefield. If you export the list data to a spreadsheet, the values mentioned above will display like this:A;#D;#FIf the spreadsheet is still linked to the list, you can, of course, simply edit that field using the same approach -- a semi-colon and a pound sign as a separator between the items. You would expect that the same format would work for pasting data from an Excel spreadsheet into the Datasheet view of a list. However, thisis not the case.In order to successfully import the values given in the example above, those values in Excel must be formatted like this:;#A;#D;#F;#In other words, a ";#" must appear at the beginning and end of the selections, in addition to being used as a separator.

Thank

On Thursday, September 17, 2009 5:12:07 PM UTC-5, GK wrote:
> I recently knocked my head against the wall trying to figure out how to paste Excel data into a SharePoint list where one of the fields in the list was a Choice field (checkbox), with multiple selections possible. It kept giving an error. I could find no documentation for this issue anywhere, and would like to share the solution I eventually discovered.In Datasheet view, multiple values in such a field may look something like this:A;D;F where A, D and F each represent one of the multiple values in thefield. If you export the list data to a spreadsheet, the values mentioned above will display like this:A;#D;#FIf the spreadsheet is still linked to the list, you can, of course, simply edit that field using the same approach -- a semi-colon and a pound sign as a separator between the items. You would expect that the same format would work for pasting data from an Excel spreadsheet into the Datasheet view of a list. However, thisis not the case.In order to successfully import the values given in the example above, those values in Excel must be formatted like this:;#A;#D;#F;#In other words, a ";#" must appear at the beginning and end of the selections, in addition to being used as a separator.

Thank you sooo much for posting this.. This is awesome!!!

hugo....@gmail.com

Nov 14, 2012, 4:39:34 PM11/14/12
I've also had been struggling with this for 2 hours... Thanks a lot man!

zchan...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2013, 7:59:28 PM4/2/13
On Thursday, September 17, 2009 5:12:07 PM UTC-5, GK wrote:
I have to say you save my day!! Many Thx!!!! I have been trying to figure this out for hours and finally found this post. You are awesome to share this!

corey.pi...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2013, 11:13:50 AM8/1/13
An easier solution is just setting the choice column to allow fill in values. Once you have pasted the values in, disable fill in values.

xoko...@gmail.com

Sep 20, 2013, 11:21:31 AM9/20/13
Thank you so much! This worked perfectly. I tried everything, and it just wouldn't work. I wonder why MS didn't document this....

Anyways, I appreciate your help!

csomor...@gmail.com

Nov 15, 2013, 5:21:02 AM11/15/13
Many thanks!

javee...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2014, 11:24:15 AM2/7/14
thanks a lot :) saved my day

peteg...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2015, 11:38:33 AM3/13/15
On Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 4:13:50 PM UTC+1, corey.pi...@gmail.com wrote:
> An easier solution is just setting the choice column to allow fill in values. Once you have pasted the values in, disable fill in values.

Thanks you just saved us a few hours!

naylor....@gmail.com

Aug 9, 2016, 10:43:04 AM8/9/16
Huge thank you!!!!

rehan...@gmail.com

Jun 29, 2017, 4:32:01 PM6/29/17
Can't believe I am using this about 8 years after you posted this, but for sure saved a lot of time for me. Thanks!!!

Jenna Verne

Nov 12, 2020, 1:39:31 PM11/12/20
I know this post is really old, but in 2020 I was still struggling with this, so for anyone who is looking for an updated solution, I just added a semicolon (no #) to the beginning and end of the string (with ; in between values) and it works for SharePoint 2013. :-)