Taxonomy - have I got it right?

rogen

Jun 2, 2011, 10:11:17 AM6/2/11

I am looking for some advise as to whether I have understood SharePoint
correctly and have created my site Taxonomy correctly. (I use SharePoint
2010 Foundation)

Our company creates documents based on job numbers. Job numbers are unique
and therefore the common denominator to all other documents that we create.

I have created a site template for EACH customer, and within this site I
have several document libraries to store the different document types. I
have used multiple document libraries instead of 1 document library with
multiple views as certain users should be restricted from seeing certain
document types (ie. invoices etc).

Each document library has a lookup field to a SharePoint list which contains
all of our job numbers. Every time a new document is created we assign it
to a job number via this lookup column.

To access the data, all users must use the job list to find the specific job
number, and from there I have created a relation List on the Display Form
showing all documents which have been associated to that job number, from
each of the multiple document libraries. (multiple web parts)

I think this is the best solution as we don't want to accidentally mix up
different customers documents (hence the separate site for each customer),
and we don't want users to see specific document types (hence the multiple
document libraries).

If we need to look up a job number, we can do so by either;
a) use the SharePoint site search feature for the job number, or
b) if we know the customer, browse to the customers site and browse through
the job list until we find it.

This gives our end users a pretty easy and rigid platform and procedure to
create, save and open documents.

What do you think? Does it sound like I've set this up the most intuitive
and efficient way? Would you have done it differently?

I really appreciate your views.

Regards,

Keith.