Problem Saving Changes to Excel Spreadsheet back to WSS 3.0

Rebecca Miller

Nov 27, 2007, 10:05:04 AM11/27/07
Hello All,

We are experiencing an increasing problem modifying spreadsheets in WSS
3.0 using both Office XP and Office 2003 (XPPro environment). In one
particular document library with versioning and check in/check out turned on,
an individual will check out a document, choose "Edit in Microsoft Office
Excel", make changes and choose save. The document acts like it is saving,
but after closing the document, checking it back in, and opening the document
back up (in either read only or edit modes) the previous version of the
document is shown. We have tried saving as and overwriting the document in
that library, but the new changes still do not save. I have also tried
recreating the document library and recreating the document.

I am hoping that some other individual has experienced this problem and has
found a solution to it. It seems to be spreading to other document libraries
that have been recently created, and seems only to affect excel documents
created or edited with Office versions earlier than 2007. In addition, I did
see that a similar problem was noted with Office 2003 and SharePoint, but was
fixed with Service Pack 3. The computers running Office 2003 that are
experiencing this issue have already been updated with Service Pack 3.

Thank you in advance.

Mike Walsh

Nov 27, 2007, 10:58:21 AM11/27/07
Are you sure that it isn't actually saving the document correctly but
that you are far to quick to go and look at it to see if it has changed
so you are getting the cached version ?

Could you try doing this Edit in Microsoft Excel; amending and Saving
back to the document library as the last thing you do one day and then
next day have a look to see if the document is the new version or not?

Mike Walsh
WSS FAQ http://www.wssfaq.com
no questions by e-mail please

Rebecca Miller

Dec 10, 2007, 10:08:00 AM12/10/07
I am absolutely positive that the document is not saving. The individual can
enter totals in a spreadsheet in the evening, and the next morning they will
return to the same spreadsheet and see that their changes have not been saved
from the previous day.

mbru...@gmail.com

Dec 11, 2007, 12:08:06 PM12/11/07
We are having the same problem with the system at one particular
client. Unfortunately, I don't have a solution either.I am beginning
to suspect it may be a nuance on the workstations. Saving locally then
uploading the file as a replacement is a clunky work-around currently.

Michael
NCTG

Rebecca Miller

Dec 11, 2007, 12:22:06 PM12/11/07
It's honestly nice to hear that someone else is having this issue. I can't
find any solution or anyone else who is having the problem. It is very
frustrating, and, since employees were reluctant to use SharePoint in the
first place (they prefer Common Folders) they refuse to save to their local
machine and upload the document back to SharePoint. Thanks for your response
and please post if you find any solution to this issue.

Kholmes1

Dec 12, 2007, 6:25:02 AM12/12/07
Rebecca,

My instance of WSS 3.0 is also displaying the same issue. I am using Excel
2007 and have posted a document to a document library. It is to be used by
multiple people. I check out the document, select 'edit in Microsoft Excel',
which opens the document without any problems (even displaying the taskbar
with relevant document details), make changes and then click on save. Excel
then tells me the document is Read Onle (which it is not) and I can only save
a local copy. It does not save changes back to the server, or allow me to
check the document back in from within Excel 2007. I am reduced to saving a
local copy and then uploading the new version to the server, overwriting the
previous version, and undoing the check out of the previous document.

This is less than ideal as we collaboratively use this document amongst my
team here and it is very frustrating, not to say problematic for versioning,
if all of my team are saving local copies and having to overwrite the
'master' excel document!

Kevin.

mbru...@gmail.com

Dec 12, 2007, 11:54:51 AM12/12/07
On Dec 12, 3:25 am, Kholmes1 <Kholm...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> Rebecca,
>
> My instance of WSS 3.0 is also displaying the same issue. I am using Excel
> 2007 and have posted a document to a document library. It is to be used by
> multiple people. I check out the document, select 'edit in Microsoft Excel',
> which opens the document without any problems (even displaying the taskbar
> with relevant document details), make changes and then click on save. Excel
> then tells me the document is Read Onle (which it is not) and I can only save
> a local copy. It does not save changes back to the server, or allow me to
> check the document back in from within Excel 2007. I am reduced to saving a
> local copy and then uploading the new version to the server, overwriting the
> previous version, and undoing the check out of the previous document.
>
> This is less than ideal as we collaboratively use this document amongst my
> team here and it is very frustrating, not to say problematic for versioning,
> if all of my team are saving local copies and having to overwrite the
> 'master' excel document!
>
> Kevin.
>
> "Rebecca Miller" wrote:
> > It's honestly nice to hear that someone else is having this issue. I can't
> > find any solution or anyone else who is having the problem. It is very
> > frustrating, and, since employees were reluctant to use SharePoint in the
> > first place (they prefer Common Folders) they refuse to save to their local
> > machine and upload the document back to SharePoint. Thanks for your response
> > and please post if you find any solution to this issue.
>
> > "mbrun...@gmail.com" wrote:
>
> > > We are having the same problem with the system at one particular
> > > client. Unfortunately, I don't have a solution either.I am beginning
> > > to suspect it may be a nuance on the workstations. Saving locally then
> > > uploading the file as a replacement is a clunky work-around currently.
>
> > > Michael
> > > NCTG

Hi all,
Rebecca, I just re-read your original post. In my situation the
system is running WSS 2.0, not 3.0. Yet we are experiencing the same
errors. Further, this intermittent problem occurs with either Office
2003 or 2007.
More background: WSS 2.0 is running on a Small Business Server 2003
(not R2) box with the back-end an instance of MSDE, not full SQL.

Michael

Rebecca Miller

Feb 25, 2008, 5:45:03 PM2/25/08
Has anyone found any solution to this problem besides reuploading the
document? The employees here are getting very annoyed with that solution,
plus we lose versioning every time we do that....

Hugo Minney

Nov 4, 2010, 9:16:12 AM11/4/10
Years later:
I'm having the same problem with Excel 2010 and Sharepoint 2007.
It works fine with Word, the check-out, edit, save and check-in process works fine.
In Excel, it usually complains that some mandatory properties haven't been added, but the document information panel won't load in Excel, so I can't change anything. When I do [edit properties] on sharepoint (with the file closed) then there don't seem to be any problems with the properties.
Right now, I have a choice:
EITERH the check out, edit, save, check-in process works in Excel, but Excel crashes after saving and tries to restart.
OR it just refuses to save the document so I have to save it somewhere else and upload it.
of course I don't get the choice wheich of the above scenarios happens. It seems to be something to do with the connection to Sharepoint being a bit intermittent.
I thought both products were by Microsoft?

> On Tuesday, November 27, 2007 10:05 AM RebeccaMille wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> We are experiencing an increasing problem modifying spreadsheets in WSS
> 3.0 using both Office XP and Office 2003 (XPPro environment). In one
> particular document library with versioning and check in/check out turned on,
> an individual will check out a document, choose "Edit in Microsoft Office
> Excel", make changes and choose save. The document acts like it is saving,
> but after closing the document, checking it back in, and opening the document
> back up (in either read only or edit modes) the previous version of the
> document is shown. We have tried saving as and overwriting the document in
> that library, but the new changes still do not save. I have also tried
> recreating the document library and recreating the document.
>
> I am hoping that some other individual has experienced this problem and has
> found a solution to it. It seems to be spreading to other document libraries
> that have been recently created, and seems only to affect excel documents
> created or edited with Office versions earlier than 2007. In addition, I did
> see that a similar problem was noted with Office 2003 and SharePoint, but was
> fixed with Service Pack 3. The computers running Office 2003 that are
> experiencing this issue have already been updated with Service Pack 3.
>
> Thank you in advance.

>> On Tuesday, November 27, 2007 10:58 AM Mike Walsh wrote:

>> Are you sure that it isn't actually saving the document correctly but
>> that you are far to quick to go and look at it to see if it has changed
>> so you are getting the cached version ?
>>
>> Could you try doing this Edit in Microsoft Excel; amending and Saving
>> back to the document library as the last thing you do one day and then
>> next day have a look to see if the document is the new version or not?
>>

>> Mike Walsh
>> WSS FAQ http://www.wssfaq.com
>> no questions by e-mail please
>>

>> Rebecca Miller wrote:

>>> On Monday, December 10, 2007 10:08 AM RebeccaMille wrote:

>>> I am absolutely positive that the document is not saving. The individual can
>>> enter totals in a spreadsheet in the evening, and the next morning they will
>>> return to the same spreadsheet and see that their changes have not been saved
>>> from the previous day.

Hugo Minney

Nov 4, 2010, 9:16:25 AM11/4/10

Hugo Minney

Nov 4, 2010, 9:18:16 AM11/4/10

Jason Gombos

Feb 1, 2012, 4:10:05 PM2/1/12
As a Sharepoint admin I have come across several strange issues between SharePoint 2007 and Office 2007 and searched for weeks for an answer. Docs only opening in Read only mode, user cannot check a document back in and close out of excel. I have found an answer that have resolved everyone of these strange issues, so I will pass it along and hope it helps you out as well because I know how frustating it was trying to find an answer:

Solution I found:

It is not uncommon for the web folders / WebDAV support in Windows XP to just stop working for no apparent reason.

You can usually reinstall the original Web Folders support by finding and executing webfldrs.msi with specific options.

webfldrs.msi is probably in one of your system directories. It is easiest to search for it (remember to set advanced search options to include system and hidden folders). When you find the program (it?s a normal Microsoft install package) launch it, then do these steps:

Click ?Select Reinstall Mode?
? Uncheck ?Repair all detected reinstall problems?.
? Check ?Force all files to be reinstalled, regardless of checksum or version?.
? Check ?Verify that required user registry entries are present?.
? Check ?Verify that required machine registry entries are present?.
? Check ?Validate shortcuts?.
? Press OK
Click REINSTALL

Normally no reboot is required. Now the web folder client should have been restored as it was shipped.

If you previously installed Software Update for Web Folders (KB907306) from the Microsoft site, you may have to install it again

mdenb...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2014, 8:19:07 AM4/24/14
Please check if you are using the x64 version of Internet Explorer. If so, that is the cause of your problem.

Navigate to the Program Files (X86)\Internet Explorer folder and use that iexplore.exe instead.