w3wp.exe process error

Ben

Apr 20, 2007, 11:30:04 AM4/20/07
When trying to extent a web application, or modify authentication settings,
of a particular web application in our MOSS 2007 environment, I get the
following error: "An update conflict has occurred, and you must re-try this
action. The object SPWebApplication Name=[SharePoint Web App]
Parent=SPWebService is being updated by domain\username, in the w3wp process,
on machine [server]. View the tracing log for more information about the
conflict. "
I have tried recycling the application pool and restarting the server in
attempts to clear whatever is being updated by the w3wp process. I looked at
the log file and the following lines were generated:

04/20/2007 11:24:18.84 w3wp.exe (0x1608)
0x0330 Windows SharePoint Services Topology
75bd High UpdatedConcurrencyException: The object SPWebApplication
Name=BlueNet Parent=SPWebService was updated by another user. Determine if
these changes will conflict, resolve any differences, and reapply the second
change. This error may also indicate a programming error caused by obtaining
two copies of the same object in a single thread. Previous update
information: User: domain\user Process:w3wp Machine:[server] Time:January 24,
2007 02:00:04.0000 Current update information: User: domain\user
Process:w3wp Machine:[server] Time:April 20, 2007 11:24:18.6117

04/20/2007 11:24:18.84 w3wp.exe (0x1608)
0x0330 Windows SharePoint Services Topology
8xqy High ConcurrencyException: Old Version : 36145 New Version : 0

If anyone has any idea how to resolve this concurency issue it would be
greatly appriciated.

Thanks,
Ben Stegink
BlueGranite

Corro'll Driskell

Apr 22, 2007, 11:17:32 PM4/22/07
Ben, I have a question for you. Did you modify any configuration,
application pool identity, via the IIS Mgmt Console?

"Ben" <B...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ben

Apr 23, 2007, 9:28:04 AM4/23/07
Corro'll, Thinking back on it, I think we may have changed the app pool
identity via IIS Mgmt Console soon after installing SharePoint. I'm trying
to remember exactly what we did b/c it was a few months ago and we didn't
come across this w3wp error until about a week ago, but I'm pretty sure there
were some changes made through the Mgmt Console.

thowden

Apr 23, 2007, 11:24:00 PM4/23/07
Hi Ben

I am having the same error come up. I only noticed it when installing SQL
Reporting Integration for MOSS.

In my case the domain\username mentioned in the update messages is my own
account. As I had configured MOSS & SRS with specific domain accounts, ie not
my own, I am thinking that it is an access issue, in that because I have
limited the permission sets as much as possible, that the process is failing
to begin correctly as it is using the logged-in user rather than one of the
specified accounts and that my user account has insufficient privileges for
the action. Hence the update is started but does not complete.

Noting that this specific message is an ouptut from an obsolete function
according to MS, then is it possible that I have introduced the problem via
an out-of-date DLL ?

Alternatively is there any indication that the error relates to file
permissions as distinct from a SQL server database update ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Tony

Ben

Apr 24, 2007, 3:04:00 PM4/24/07
Tony,
I have the same thing as you in that in all the cases where I have
domain\username it is my own username. I also configured my whole SharePoint
installation with specific usernames and passwords used only for SharePoint.
However, I've also logged into MOSS using the specific usernames and
passwords I've set up for SharePoint (i.e. the App Pool user, Admin User,
etc). When I try to make the same changes, extending the web app, I still
get the same error, with my username (even though I'm logged in as a
different user). So it appears that it isn't a permission issue on my end.
From talking to co-workers we've wondered if it is possible to have to
contridicting rows in the content database for a particular web app, and when
you try to update your web application, the rows contridict each other
through this error.

Your thought about an out data DLL is also a thought, I'm trying to figure
out what we may have installed though on our server that would have
overwritten or changed the DLL to an older copy.

I'm going to keep working on it and hoping that someone has figured out this
problem and lets us know how to resolve it. Any new information I can
discover I will deffinately keep posting here.

Ben

georgemathews

Nov 6, 2008, 6:27:03 AM11/6/08
hi.

even i have the problem as posted above.

"An update conflict has occurred, and you must re-try this
action. The object SPWebApplication Name=[SharePoint Web App]
Parent=SPWebService is being updated by domain\username, in the w3wp process,
on machine [server]. View the tracing log for more information about the
conflict. "

but i got that error because i changes my computer name from say, Example1 to Example2 and restarted the system. then, i changed it back to Example1. after this happened, i am getting this error.

can you help me out? i'm using a virtual image for developing Sharepoint.

thanx,
george.

Solomon Tesfaye

Jun 10, 2011, 10:01:18 AM6/10/11
Has anyone found a solution to this problem? We are still working on MOSS 2007 for a client and are unable to create a new application after deploying UAKS.

So far we tried the cache clearing, the detaching and re-attaching of DB suggested, but none of the suggestions presented worked for us.

Appreciate if you suggest any recommendations to try.