WinForms UI

Mike

May 26, 2004, 10:22:39 AM5/26/04
Hello.

How feasible is it to access Sharepoint from .Net and WinForms?

I'm working on creating a robust intranet and see WinForms as the
predominant desktop UI.

Thanks,

Mike

Derek Martin

May 26, 2004, 10:57:17 AM5/26/04
Hi Mike, you bet you can - we are using it and are about to deploy an entire
HR system using nothing but SharePoint and an inhouse created VB.Net windows
app...

I can give you a few pointers to get you started:

You will access your SharePoint lists and libraries using webservices -
check out lists.asmx and dspsts.asmx - both very usable.

Get the hang of XMLDocuments and playing with XML Nodes and Node Lists-
that's the way it all comes out of SharePoint - if you have never done that
before, don't be frightened by the initial goo that is required - it can be
easily abstracted.

Inserting data into SPS sites is a snap - it works just like getting data
out, but instead, you use commands like New, Update, Delete, etc.

Check out this MSDN article for some really cool example code:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/spptsdk/html/soapcDataRetrievalServiceWSS.asp

and

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/spptsdk/html/soapcDataRetrievalServiceWSS.asp

and

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/spptsdk/html/soapcDataRetrievalServiceWSS.asp
gives you access to all of the web services available to an SPS site!

Let me know how it goes and if you need any examples or additional help,
Regards,
Derek

"Mike" <Michae...@inds.com> wrote in message

Mike

May 26, 2004, 11:14:56 AM5/26/04
Hi, Derek. Thanks for the response, it's very encouraging.

When you speak of SharePoint, I assume you mean Windows SharePoint Services,
and not SharePoint Portal Server, correct?

Thanks again,

Mike

"Derek Martin" <dmj...@DONTSPAMMEokstate.edu> wrote in message

Derek Martin

May 26, 2004, 11:41:14 AM5/26/04
Either - SPS is exposed just like any other SharePoint Service site, with a
few minor quirks. Our HR project, for example, is not an SPS Area, it is a
subsite of an area which is exposed independently - MS really hit the nail
on the head with the way it is abstracted. After getting used to finding
List ID's and Column Names by URL hunting, it became very trivial to get and
insert or update or delete data - including doc libraries and (believe it or
not) form libraries (read only)!!!!

Let me know how it goes and if you need any assistance!

Derek

"Mike" <Michae...@inds.com> wrote in message

xiaoy...@gmail.com

May 13, 2014, 3:27:48 AM5/13/14
I am also curious about the same question you mentioned. However, it is not something be easily judged by me. However, there are more and more convenient WinForms UI components appears:

http://www.kettic.com/winforms_ui/

I hope it won't be too long for the .NET UI components to use expediently in mutual:

http://www.kettic.com/