How to handle a ProfileSynchronizationDuplicateSiteIDException

stef.van....@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2007, 3:48:46 AM1/29/07
I have a problem with my Moss 2007 RTM implemenation.
Since I removed my webapplication and re-created it with the exsiting
Content DB, I receive an error in the event log ervery hour ( it is
the profile synchronisation for my site url ).

How do i solve this error, since now my profiles aren't synced
anymore, without loosing any data? ( in short, what record do i delete
or what stsadm statement must i run? ) I tried running the given
stsadm statement, but the error still remains.

A runtime exception was detected. Details follow.
Message: A duplicate site ID e988d221-a48b-4ae8-
ad91-6c6ca40548c3(https://my site url) was found. This might be caused
by restoring a content database from one server farm into a different
server farm without first removing the original database and then
running stsadm -o preparetomove. If this is the cause, the stsadm -o
preparetomove command can be used with the -OldContentDB command line
option to resolve this issue.

Techinal Details:
Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.ProfileSynchronizationDuplicateSit
eIDException: A duplicate site ID e988d221-a48b-4ae8-
ad91-6c6ca40548c3(https://my site url) was found. This might be caused
by restoring a content database from one server farm into a different
server farm without first removing the original database and then
running stsadm -o preparetomove. If this is the cause, the stsadm -o
preparetomove command can be used with the -OldContentDB command line
option to resolve this issue.
at
Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.ContentDBSynchronizer.RegisterSite
sForSynch(Guid[] rgGuid, Int32 nGuids, Object dummy)
at
Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.SynchCollection`2.FlushAdds()
at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.SynchCollection`2.Add(T
objAdd)
at
Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.ContentDBSynchronizer.AddRemoveSit
es(String strFirstChangeToken, SPChangeToken lastChangeToken)
at
Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.ContentDBSynchronizer.SynchContent
DB()
at
Microsoft.Office.Server.Diagnostics.FirstChanceHandler.ExceptionFilter(
Boolean fRethrowException, TryBlock tryBlock, FilterBlock filter,
CatchBlock catchBlock, FinallyBlock finallyBlock)

Vikram

Jan 31, 2007, 2:50:00 PM1/31/07
Hi Stef

We are running into the same situation on our Moss .We tried the prepare to
DB command few times and detached and attaeched content databases but nothing
seems to have fixed this issue so far. The service runs every hour and logs
these messages. If i appreciate if you can pass on if you find any solution
to this problem. I have a open ticket with MS but they did not provide us any
solution

Thanks
Vikram,

Ben Geers

Feb 3, 2007, 8:40:35 AM2/3/07
We are running into the same errors in our MOSS RTM environment as
well. In our instance we migrated our content database from an SPS
2003 environment. The migration appear to have been sucessful, but we
are now seeing these error every hour. Any additional information on
how to fix this problem would be great.

Vikram

Feb 5, 2007, 3:30:00 PM2/5/07
After extensive research of all the SharePoint databases I figured the table
“sistesynch” in the sharedservices database is responsible for the errors
caused by the hourly profile synchronizations service. I looked in the table
and found out the database id‘s in this do not match with the database id’s
from the config database of the SharePoint. Site ID’s seems to be ok in this
table. This table may not have been updated when the content databases where
detached and attached (could be a bug in SharePoint). After deleting the rows
from this table the errors gone away and the table is re-populated back with
correct sites and database id’s next time when the service ran (usually
hourly).

I also found that you can actually run this stsadm command which also does
the same thing mentioned above (deleting rows from site sync table) and is
probably a better way since this is a command from MS.

Run the following command .

stsadm -o sync -DeleteOldDatabases 0

The results of this command will be a list of old database id’s that have
been cleaned up and the sitesync table will be emptied.

Note: Since there is no documentation on any of these commands .All the
above fixes are based on my personal investigation so please makes sure this
works for you in your environments before you run. Backup the sharedservices
and configuration databases just in case if this don’t work for you. It’s
been couple of days since we ran this in our environment and we haven’t seen
any issues and all the event log errors gone away.

Good Luck.
Vikram Garlapati

Vikram

Feb 5, 2007, 3:31:00 PM2/5/07

Good Luck.
Vikram Garlapati

alan.c...@sdm.com.au

Feb 15, 2007, 5:43:31 PM2/15/07
> > ad91-6c6ca40548c3(https://mysite url) was found. This might be caused

> > by restoring a content database from one server farm into a different
> > server farm without first removing the original database and then
> > running stsadm -o preparetomove. If this is the cause, the stsadm -o
> > preparetomove command can be used with the -OldContentDB command line
> > option to resolve this issue.
>
> > Techinal Details:
> > Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.ProfileSynchronizationDuplicateSit
> > eIDException: A duplicate site ID e988d221-a48b-4ae8-
> > ad91-6c6ca40548c3(https://mysite url) was found. This might be caused

> > by restoring a content database from one server farm into a different
> > server farm without first removing the original database and then
> > running stsadm -o preparetomove. If this is the cause, the stsadm -o
> > preparetomove command can be used with the -OldContentDB command line
> > option to resolve this issue.
> > at
> > Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.ContentDBSynchronizer.RegisterSite
> > sForSynch(Guid[] rgGuid, Int32 nGuids, Object dummy)
> > at
> > Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.SynchCollection`2.FlushAdds()
> > at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.SynchCollection`2.Add(T
> > objAdd)
> > at
> > Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.ContentDBSynchronizer.AddRemoveSit
> > es(String strFirstChangeToken, SPChangeToken lastChangeToken)
> > at
> > Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.ContentDBSynchronizer.SynchContent
> > DB()
> > at
> > Microsoft.Office.Server.Diagnostics.FirstChanceHandler.ExceptionFilter(
> > Boolean fRethrowException, TryBlock tryBlock, FilterBlock filter,
> > CatchBlock catchBlock, FinallyBlock finallyBlock)- Hide quoted text -

I have had the same problem at a client site (which I will try to fix
using the command above). One question I had about the migration is
that the MS doco is very poor around the restoring of the profile
database. In our environment, after creating the web application for
the portal (not a site collection), I removed the default content
database associated with it by using stsadm -o deletecontentdb -url
http://myserver -databasename SharePoint_Content. I then restored the
SPS2003 _SITE database and ran stsadm -o addcontentdb -url http://myserver
-databaseserver MYDBSVR -databasename Sharepoin1_SITE. This second
command upgraded and attached the db's. After doing the other config
steps (e.g. re-install web parts) and doing an IISRESET the site came
up. The problem is that I had not restored the _PROF db (therefore I
have no profiles or audiences, but I do have the personal my sites).
I noticed in an inplace upgrade that the content db associated with
the SSP uses the _PROF db (so audiences exist). The addcontentdb
command fails if you try to attach the _PROF db to the portal
application, so I assume I should try to attach it to the SSP web
application. The problem is I don't know when I should be doing
this. For example, do you create the SSP and configure the Search
first (which creates the SSP and Search dbs), then detach the SSP
content db and re-attach the _PROF db?

Alan C.
Melbourne, Australia