Can't open Navigation in SPD

Mike in Nebraska

Mar 27, 2009, 10:47:48 AM3/27/09
SPD is running on a Vista Business PC under Domain Admin rights. MOSS is
running on a member server running Windows Server 2003 R2. I have not put
it in production yet (still learning). I've created a MySites top-level
site, and a main site using the Collaboration template. I've done nothing
to it except give everyone at least Read access (only have 10 staff members
at present). I have full access to the site as does the Admin account I
used.

I am going through the MS Press book, "Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer
2007 Step by Step", and am on Chapter 1. I have the main site open in SPD
and clicked on Navigation at the bottom of the Document Window. However, I
see "The Navigation view cannot be displayed for this Web site. Click here
to change Navigation settings." in the middle. I click as directed and my
browser opened with a login prompt. I couldn't get in and soon got the
following in the browser window: "The Local Security Authority cannot be
contacted." The URL path is
http://<site-name>/_layouts/areanavigationsettings.aspx .

I'm still too new at MOSS - what's going on and how do I correct it?

--
Mike Webb
Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.

Mike in Nebraska

Mar 27, 2009, 1:03:43 PM3/27/09
Got it figured out. My default browser is Firefox; once I changed it to IE7
it worked (sorta). I still get the error message in the Document Window,
but IE7 opens when I click the Click Here link and I can see the Navigation
page.

Mike

"Mike in Nebraska" <Mike_in_...@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message

Reuben

Feb 1, 2012, 8:54:58 AM2/1/12
I have the same problem, with my default browser being IE 9 and I still get the same error message:The navigation view cannot be displayed for this web site. Click here to learn more.

Anyone with a clue on this?

> On Friday, March 27, 2009 10:47 AM Mike in Nebraska wrote:

> SPD is running on a Vista Business PC under Domain Admin rights. MOSS is
> running on a member server running Windows Server 2003 R2. I have not put
> it in production yet (still learning). I've created a MySites top-level
> site, and a main site using the Collaboration template. I've done nothing
> to it except give everyone at least Read access (only have 10 staff members
> at present). I have full access to the site as does the Admin account I
> used.
>
> I am going through the MS Press book, "Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer
> 2007 Step by Step", and am on Chapter 1. I have the main site open in SPD
> and clicked on Navigation at the bottom of the Document Window. However, I
> see "The Navigation view cannot be displayed for this Web site. Click here
> to change Navigation settings." in the middle. I click as directed and my
> browser opened with a login prompt. I couldn't get in and soon got the
> following in the browser window: "The Local Security Authority cannot be
> contacted." The URL path is
> http://<site-name>/_layouts/areanavigationsettings.aspx .
>
> I'm still too new at MOSS - what's going on and how do I correct it?
>
> --
> Mike Webb
> Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.
> a conservation non-profit (501 (c)(3)) organization
> Wood River, NE

Reuben

Feb 1, 2012, 8:57:26 AM2/1/12
I have MOSS 2007 site trying to use SharePoint Designer 2007 and I experience the same problem. IE 9 is my default browser and I still get the same error message:The navigation view cannot be displayed for this web site. Click here to learn more.