Editing Individual Column Permissions

bill

Sep 5, 2007, 2:30:03 PM9/5/07
Greetings group,

I have built a site in MOSS 2007 that we are using to track budgets on
specific projects. The site contains a list with columns such as project
names and budget numbers. The head management want to be the only ones to be
able to edit the budget number field, but have other personnel be able to
edit other fields in the list, such as start and end dates.

My question is if it is possible to allow for one field in a list to be
protected and editable by only one group of folks, but the rest of the fields
in the list can be edited by anyone else in the team? If this is not
possible, what might be another way?

Thank you in advance,

--
bill

Scott

Sep 19, 2007, 8:34:03 AM9/19/07
Possibly something you could do in InfoPath.

Cornelius J. van Dyk [MVP]

Sep 21, 2007, 3:24:36 AM9/21/07
To the original question the answer is NO.
You cannot control permissions down to field level.
SharePoint only controls permissions on item level which means if you
have update rights to the item, you have update rights to all fields
that make up the item.

As Scott pointed out, if you used an InfoPath form to track the
information instead, you could protect any field based on any criteria
you want.
You could then promote the data fields out to metadata fields in the
form library view to allow for sorting and management as you would with
the original list.

--
Thanks
Blog: http://www.cjvandyk.com/blog

"Scott" <Sc...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

Cornelius J. van Dyk [MVP]

Sep 25, 2007, 7:16:41 AM9/25/07
You cannot control public views across multiple people.
A public view is a public view and everyone can see it.
Only the data displayed in the public view is security trimmed.
The only way to achieve what you're trying to get to is to define
PRIVATE views for the users.
The problem is that private views are defined for each user individually
so you'll have to repeat the process, while logged on as each user in
turn, over and over and over again... not a pretty option...

"tlyczko" <tly...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> CVD said the answer is no...
>
> Is it possible to control the number and types of VIEWS available to a
> given group of users, then have Group X only able to see a certain
> view which contains only the desired fields, then have Group Y able to
> see a different view which has different fields in it??
>
> Thank you, Tom
>
> On Sep 21, 3:24 am, "Cornelius J. van Dyk [MVP]"

Candice

Nov 14, 2007, 10:36:00 PM11/14/07
I have a similar situation in which we would like 7 countries of data in one
list but each country can not view the others revenue and related columns.

What is your opinion in using Audience Targeting for each item? The down
side I can see is each item will need to have an alert for me to approve and
set up the appropriate audience. Also any contributor can change the
audience.

Would the suggestion to use infopath work in this case also?
Any other suggestions on how to manage the data?

Thank you!
--
Candice

Ethan Bach

Jul 1, 2011, 4:20:13 AM7/1/11
Well, you can do by using InfoPath as your data entry layer.

There is also a good article by Laura from Sharepoint911 about doing it with SharePoint designer, though it's not so straightforward
http://www.sharepoint911.com/blogs/laura/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?List=676af157%2D7d96%2D4e15%2Da987%2D54b8a3e4d948&ID=3

The third option it to use our Smart List Lite which is a free SharePoint add-on that can do the job and much more.
Check it out - http://www.infowisesolutions.com/product.aspx?id=SmartListLite

Ethan Bach
Infowise