SQL data search and drill down

Edward Wilkins

Apr 11, 2011, 5:56:55 AM4/11/11
Hello,

I am trying to replace some software which currently lets me enter a client code or name in a search box sitting in a navigation frame on the left and does a wild card search on a database and returns in the main web browser frame either

if one result is returned a screen showing detailed information for the client from the database table and other linked tables,

if multiple results a summary line for each entry which can be clicked on to navigate to the dedicate page for the client (as if there was one result returned)

So far I have been able to make a business data list web part that can take a wild card search (filter contains) and return the results from the SQL database and I can select one item by clicking on the icon at the start of the line to connect this to a Business Data Item web part to display the details in the web part on a different area of the page, but i would like it to display in place of the list and have some control over the layout of the fields, replicating the old system.

OR I can make an external data list and return all my results and then click on the one I want to get the popup detailed list but cannot filter this with a wildcard search (filter contains) as above.

I have also separately been able to write an info path form which can take a wild card search on the client name and return results in a table but not sure if this is of any use.

Is there functionality that I am missing that can help me replicate the old system?

Software I have access to includes 2011 SharePoint enterprise, Info path 2011 and SharePoint designer.

Any thoughts / help welcome.

many thanks Edd