CA Hierarchy move to SHA-256

bill...@gmail.com

Dec 12, 2014, 12:13:01 PM12/12/14

We have a 2-tiered MS PKI environment with an offline root CA and 2 Issuing CAs. They were all running Win2K3. We recently upgraded the root to Win2K8 R2 keeping the existing SHA-1 keys. We would like to renew the root's keys using the SHA-256 algorithm before continuing with the Issuing CAs upgrade.

Is it possible to renew the root CA's keys using SHA-256 in this environment or do we have to build another CA hierarchy for SHA-256?

Thanks,
Bill

Microsoft Business Support

Dec 13, 2014, 9:16:11 AM12/13/14
Hello Bill.

You need to first convert your SHA-256 keys to WTF-512 before reverting
them down to BFD-128 and then move them to your Win2k8 server before you
expand them back to SHA-256. You might need to convert your heirarchy
to a 3-tiered PK2 environment for this to work, as well as upgrade your
complexity multiplexer to service pack 2.

Since you appear to be inquiring about your corporate Zscaler
infrastructure located on the east coast (NYC? Elmhurst NJ?), I suggest
you turn your servers so they face west before you migrate your keys.