Re: The newbie's dilemma!

RJK

Sep 10, 2008, 7:57:56 AM9/10/08
I haven't a clue ! ...I looked at your, (4th on this thread), post header /
Properties, that I tried to "Reply to Group" with, and just wondered if any
of it was what my OE / or MS GN server objected to with the "malformed
header" warning !

...and even though I copied and pasted in plain text, ...all that stuff is
not appearing as it does when viewing that 4th post | properties | details |
Message Source ?

regards, Richard

"BoaterDave" <Boate...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
> On 10 Sep, 10:57, "RJK" <notatos...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> e.g. ?
>>
>> From: "~BD~" <BoaterD...@nospam.invalid>
>> <rLudndgZ9ZxOoUXbnZ2dnUVZ_ommn...@bright.net>
>> <Xns999E853BD1C6FHHI2948AJD...@69.28.186.121>
>> <epDBVsU7HHA....@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>
>> <Xns999F75E1EF697HHI2948AJD...@69.28.186.121>
>> <#tXjnLf8HHA.4...@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>
>> <uqzLOCWAIHA.1...@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>
>> <D9CF1052-EBB7-463E-974D-295D419E2...@microsoft.com>
>> <BD.3fd...@news.home.local> <u6wrvsPEJHA.4...@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>
>> <7648cfa1-c7aa-4247-8a84-ee760fe4a...@f63g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>
>> Subject: Re: The newbie's dilemma!
>> Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 20:43:03 +0100
>> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.security.virus
>
> Hi Richard! Thanks for posting. :)
>
> Now - can you, or anyone else, explain just where all those
> 'References' have come from?
>
> Interesting 'stuff'! (to me anyway!)
>
> Dave

FromTheRafters

Sep 10, 2008, 9:15:49 AM9/10/08

That is how usenet posts are threaded - when you crosspost,
dig up old posts, and change subject lines in the middle of a
conversation - (and use web interfaces?) things might get a
little confused.

If you have a new subject - start a new thread rather than
hijacking an old or current (different subject) thread. In fact
even if your subject is the same as the subject of the thread
the conversation may have drifted to the point that others
have chosen to ignore the entire thread - starting a new one
is the best option. This is not a web forum in the traditional
sense where you would be asked to post within a preexisting
topic structure laid out by the webmaster.

Also, replying to a post from months ago probably won't help
the person that made that post because that person has probably
moved on by then (there is no webmaster to declare a subject
as "dead" or "resolved" or whatever).

~BD~

Sep 10, 2008, 9:25:32 AM9/10/08
Moved to bottom post!

--

--

Hi Richard. You've no doubt noticed that when I post using Outlook Express, I'm using ~BD~ an my
'nickname'. When checking on *my* PC at the 4th in this thread, I see "References:

When posting from Google Groups I use BoaterDave. On checking here, in OE, the 3rd post *all* the
References are showing in the Properties just as you have indicated.

Puzzled, I looked again at the Properties box for the post *from* OE. Then I noticed ... Doh! There
are *scroll* bars! So I copied and pasted everything I could under References: and pasted it into
Notepad (word wrap). This was the result:

<efmicmI5...@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl> <eXkj9RJ5...@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>
<XtGdnTPldJuFQlPb...@bright.net> <Xns9997127BF7B...@69.28.186.121>
<M4adnSamyaHcSVLb...@bright.net> <Xns99991C9459F...@69.28.186.121>
<cJudnfB5hf4nDk_b...@bright.net> <Xns999CB36A776...@69.28.186.121>
<rLudndgZ9ZxOoUXb...@bright.net> <Xns999E853BD1C...@69.28.186.121>
<epDBVsU...@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl> <Xns999F75E1EF6...@69.28.186.121>
<#tXjnLf8...@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl> <uqzLOCWA...@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>
<D9CF1052-EBB7-463E...@microsoft.com> <BD.3...@news.home.local>
<u6wrvsPE...@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>
<7648cfa1-c7aa-4247...@f63g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>

As far as I can tell- it is EXACTLY the same information as shown in the header from google.!!!!

Hopefully then ............. Your question "... ~BD~ 's security has been compromised ?" has been
answered in the negative (but one never knows! <wink!>

No doubt there are complicated technical reasons for showing things in a different format, but I
suspect I don't really need to know! (or do I?!!)

Dave

~BD~

Sep 10, 2008, 10:05:18 AM9/10/08

"FromTheRafters" <err...@ne.rr.com> wrote in message

~BD~

Sep 10, 2008, 10:17:34 AM9/10/08

"FromTheRafters" <err...@ne.rr.com> wrote in message

<snip>

> That is how usenet posts are threaded - when you crosspost,
> dig up old posts, and change subject lines in the middle of a
> conversation - (and use web interfaces?) things might get a
> little confused.
>
> If you have a new subject - start a new thread rather than
> hijacking an old or current (different subject) thread. In fact
> even if your subject is the same as the subject of the thread
> the conversation may have drifted to the point that others
> have chosen to ignore the entire thread - starting a new one
> is the best option. This is not a web forum in the traditional
> sense where you would be asked to post within a preexisting
> topic structure laid out by the webmaster.
>
> Also, replying to a post from months ago probably won't help
> the person that made that post because that person has probably
> moved on by then (there is no webmaster to declare a subject
> as "dead" or "resolved" or whatever).

All your points noted and much appreciated FTR. Thank you.

You will recall this link which I posted for those very reasons:
http://ms-os.com/virus-information/90006-the-newbies-dilemma.html

What I had hoped was that Dan, or someone like yourself, would take the time to read, and comment
maybe on all that had gone before ......... and is now but a muddle in my head! There's a clue in
there somewhere though!

I have a mission - and was/am looking for help and/or guidance.

Additionally, it might just help others if they read the original thread. I do hope so anyway.

Dave

~BD~

Sep 10, 2008, 1:31:26 PM9/10/08

"~BD~" <Boate...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message news:erK4QtYE...@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Do you know how long Microsoft leaves these messages on its servers?
>
> TIA
>
> Dave
<snip>

Anyone else know how long Microsoft leaves these messages on its' servers?

Dave

FromTheRafters

Sep 10, 2008, 7:20:58 PM9/10/08

"~BD~" <Boate...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

It may be there until the space it occupies is needed
for another message - that is the newest in pushes the
oldest out. If that is the way they have it set up, then
your question cannot be answered quantitatively.

~BD~

Sep 10, 2008, 7:56:22 PM9/10/08

"FromTheRafters" <err...@ne.rr.com> wrote in message

Thanks for your comment, FTR. However, you speculate! <wink>

Does anyone *know* the answer? Simply curious is all.

Dave

FromTheRafters

Sep 10, 2008, 8:18:42 PM9/10/08
> You will recall this link which I posted for those very reasons:
> http://ms-os.com/virus-information/90006-the-newbies-dilemma.html

I won't participate in web forums even if they're not
really forums but only usenet web interfaces.

> What I had hoped was that Dan, or someone like yourself, would take the
> time to read, and comment maybe on all that had gone before ......... and
> is now but a muddle in my head! There's a clue in there somewhere though!

I would have if it had been convenient for me to do so.

> I have a mission - and was/am looking for help and/or guidance.

It's hard to know who to trust, and you shouldn't base
trust on the alphabet soup in someones signature block.
You get a feel for who to trust after taking the time to
read various posts.

...and even this is no guarantee

> Additionally, it might just help others if they read the original thread.
> I do hope so anyway.

Information is a good thing! :o)

FromTheRafters

Sep 10, 2008, 8:33:30 PM9/10/08

"~BD~" <Boate...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

Different group, years ago, but maybe some insight for you.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?pg=2&p=1&tid=fcbd6cf1-e372-4c05-a4ef-22433579473f&dg=microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb&cat=en-us-msdn&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=en-us

FromTheRafters

Sep 10, 2008, 8:36:35 PM9/10/08
I couldn't find msnews.microsoft.com listed, but this
may be of interest to you.

http://www.newsgroupservers.net/usenet_groups/article_retention_rates.htm

~BD~

Sep 11, 2008, 4:26:45 AM9/11/08

"FromTheRafters" <err...@ne.rr.com> wrote in message news:O0OL1Z6E...@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...

>I couldn't find msnews.microsoft.com listed, but this
> may be of interest to you.
>
> http://www.newsgroupservers.net/usenet_groups/article_retention_rates.htm

<snip>

Thank you FTR.

An interesting read. It also reminded me of the word 'Binaries' - an expression which I simply could
not recall when making a post recently! :)

Dave

~BD~

Sep 11, 2008, 4:52:02 AM9/11/08

<snip>>>>>

>>> It may be there until the space it occupies is needed
>>> for another message - that is the newest in pushes the
>>> oldest out. If that is the way they have it set up, then
>>> your question cannot be answered quantitatively.
>>>

>> Thanks for your comment, FTR. However, you speculate! <wink>
>>
>> Does anyone *know* the answer? Simply curious is all.
>
> Different group, years ago, but maybe some insight for you.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?pg=2&p=1&tid=fcbd6cf1-e372-4c05-a4ef-22433579473f&dg=microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb&cat=en-us-msdn&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=en-us

It is most kind of you to seek out such items for my review, FTR. Thank you!

Interesting comment there from Joseph, viz

"There is no firewall on the computer ..... "

Dave

~BD~

Sep 11, 2008, 5:00:22 AM9/11/08
Ooops! My finger slipped! Sorry!

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 11, 2008, 11:28:34 AM9/11/08
>> Anyone else know how long Microsoft leaves these messages on its'
>> servers?

The default rention period for MS public newsgroups is 90 days.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

~BD~

Sep 11, 2008, 2:56:58 PM9/11/08

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message
--

Thank you, Robear :)

BD

~BD~

Sep 12, 2008, 8:23:31 PM9/12/08
I couldn't send this in the original thread position, so trying here!

Hi FTR.... in-line

"FromTheRafters" <err...@ne.rr.com> wrote in message news:%23Tn01P6...@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...

>> You will recall this link which I posted for those very reasons:
>> http://ms-os.com/virus-information/90006-the-newbies-dilemma.html
>
> I won't participate in web forums even if they're not
> really forums but only usenet web interfaces.
>
>> What I had hoped was that Dan, or someone like yourself, would take the time to read, and comment
>> maybe on all that had gone before ......... and is now but a muddle in my head! There's a clue in
>> there somewhere though!
>
> I would have if it had been convenient for me to do so.

Thank you. Maybe you will in due course!

>> I have a mission - and was/am looking for help and/or guidance.
>
> It's hard to know who to trust, and you shouldn't base
> trust on the alphabet soup in someones signature block.
> You get a feel for who to trust after taking the time to
> read various posts.
>
> ...and even this is no guarantee

Hahaha! :) Maybe you'll have time to peek here:-
http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5656&st=20&p=27599&#entry27599

>> Additionally, it might just help others if they read the original thread. I do hope so anyway.
>
> Information is a good thing! :o)

Indeed. That's what our P o l i c e told me! <wink>

Cheers

Dave

BoaterDave

Sep 17, 2008, 11:01:10 AM9/17/08
On 13 Sep, 01:23, "~BD~" <BoaterD...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> I couldn't send this in the original thread position, so trying here!
>
> Hi  FTR.... in-line
>
> "FromTheRafters" <erra...@ne.rr.com> wrote in messagenews:%23Tn01P6...@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...

> >> You will recall this link which I posted for those very reasons:
> >>http://ms-os.com/virus-information/90006-the-newbies-dilemma.html
>
> > I won't participate in web forums even if they're not
> > really forums but only usenet web interfaces.
>
> >> What I had hoped was that Dan, or someone like yourself, would take the time to read, and comment
> >> maybe on all that had gone before ......... and is now but a muddle in my head! There's a clue in
> >> there somewhere though!
>
> > I would have if it had been convenient for me to do so.
>
> Thank you. Maybe you will in due course!
>
> >> I have a mission - and was/am looking for help and/or guidance.
>
> > It's hard to know who to trust, and you shouldn't base
> > trust on the alphabet soup in someones signature block.
> > You get a feel for who to trust after taking the time to
> > read various posts.
>
> > ...and even this is no guarantee
>
> Hahaha!  :)  Maybe you'll have time to peek here:-http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5656&st=20&p=2...

> >> Additionally, it might just help others if they read the original thread. I do hope so anyway.
>
> > Information is a good thing! :o)
>
> Indeed. That's what our P o l i c e told me! <wink>
>
> Cheers
>
> Dave
>
> --

Link updated http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5656&st=40

~BD~

Jul 8, 2013, 8:20:55 AM7/8/13
BoaterDave wrote:

>> The default retention period for MS public newsgroups is 90 days.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> PABear might have mentioned that such messages are retained on Usenet for posterity - for many, many years, in fact, on Giganews!
>
> Just an oversight, I expect! :-)
>
> BD

Oops! I meant to add the MID

FromTheRafters

Jul 8, 2013, 9:14:01 AM7/8/13
~BD~ has brought this to us :
The question asked, was answered correctly however.

~BD~

Jul 15, 2013, 11:28:14 AM7/15/13
I'd be grateful if you would substantiate that claim, FTR
BD

FromTheRafters

Jul 15, 2013, 1:15:43 PM7/15/13
It happens that ~BD~ formulated :
The question about a microsoft group included the "on its servers"
restriction. Had you asked about Usenet retention or Usenet archives
you *might* have gotten a different answer.

~BD~

Jul 15, 2013, 1:23:48 PM7/15/13
You will appreciate that, at that time, I had no idea that Microsoft
Communities groups ended up on Usenet!

Confusing, eh? ....... and a real minefield! ;-)

FromTheRafters

Jul 15, 2013, 1:34:20 PM7/15/13
~BD~ wrote :
As I recall, retention was even less on the *test* groups on their
servers.

~BD~

Jul 15, 2013, 2:13:47 PM7/15/13
How *many* test groups do *you* think they (Microsoft) had, FTR?

--
"God made the cat in order that man might have the pleasure of stroking
the tiger"

~ Fernand Mery

FromTheRafters

Jul 15, 2013, 3:33:42 PM7/15/13
~BD~ laid this down on his screen :
I only knew about "test" and "test.here" until somebody (you?)
mentioned "test1". "Test1" isn't on the E-S server(s) but the others
are.

~BD~

Jul 15, 2013, 3:46:20 PM7/15/13
If you look here, there was *no* Microsoft 'test' group!

I wonder where it came from!

~BD~

Jul 15, 2013, 3:52:46 PM7/15/13
~BD~ wrote:
[....]
> If you look here, there was *no* Microsoft 'test' group!

Oops! http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

FromTheRafters

Jul 15, 2013, 4:52:50 PM7/15/13
~BD~ pretended :
Evidently, that's not an exhaustive list.

~BD~

Jul 15, 2013, 5:40:10 PM7/15/13
Do you have another one?

FromTheRafters

Jul 15, 2013, 5:50:53 PM7/15/13
~BD~ brought next idea :
No, but we both know the test group was there and yet is not listed on
that page. I was actually using the microsoft servers when I was
posting to those groups for quite a while. They didn't carry the alt.*
hierarchy so I eventually switched to motzarella.

David H. Lipman

Jul 15, 2013, 7:15:15 PM7/15/13
From: "FromTheRafters" <err...@nomail.afraid.org>
There's 10's of thousands of Usenet news groups and he's asking for an
exhaustive list ?

Bwaahahahahahahahahahah

One such listing is at his bloody fingertips.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

FromTheRafters

Jul 15, 2013, 8:22:24 PM7/15/13
David H. Lipman used his keyboard to write :
> From: "FromTheRafters" <err...@nomail.afraid.org>
>
>> ~BD~ brought next idea :

>>> Do you have another one?
>>
>> No, but we both know the test group was there and yet is not listed on that
>> page. I was actually using the microsoft servers when I was posting to
>> those groups for quite a while. They didn't carry the alt.* hierarchy so I
>> eventually switched to motzarella.
>>

> There's 10's of thousands of Usenet news groups and he's asking for an
> exhaustive list ?
>
> Bwaahahahahahahahahahah
>
> One such listing is at his bloody fingertips.

Not really, he was looking at a list of microsoft.public.* hierarchy at
"aumha" which doesn't list m.p.t but does list m.p.t.h - I recall
seeing m.p.t and m.p.t.h in the list from the MS servers when I was
using them.

You're probably right though that his big NNTP service should have a
very good list of groups.

~BD~

Jul 16, 2013, 5:18:43 AM7/16/13
When last I reset my BT (Giganews) newsgroups there were over 110,000
groups listed.

One of them is microsoft.public.test1

The odd thing is, apart from a few items early on, all the rest have
been made by me - look ---> http://i39.tinypic.com/2rrpif6.jpg

I simply cannot believe that Microsoft set up that group - so who did?!!

~BD~

Jul 16, 2013, 6:07:42 AM7/16/13
I wondered if a header from one of those posts would be useful. So .....

Here's one:-

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 09:51:19 +0100
From: ~BD~ <~BD~@nomail.afraid.com>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.test1
Subject: Re: Annex Cafe

https://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.test.here/browse_frm/month/2008-08?hl=en

>> <#kb#gEwAJH...@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>

http://al.howardknight.net/msgid.cgi?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3C%23kb%23gEwAJHA.4992%40TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl%3E

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/microsoft.public.security/HeXRp8yeyiU

Posts by Trolli

~BD~

Jul 18, 2013, 5:55:10 AM7/18/13
I remember that change-over!

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/rec.games.miniatures.warhammer/_bqt-6YIk5U/-jGVjStynfcJ

Do you know who pays the running costs at ES?

~BD~

Aug 15, 2014, 5:00:53 PM8/15/14
FromTheRafters wrote:
>> You will recall this link which I posted for those very reasons:
>> http://ms-os.com/virus-information/90006-the-newbies-dilemma.html
>
> I won't participate in web forums even if they're not
> really forums but only usenet web interfaces.
>
>> What I had hoped was that Dan, or someone like yourself, would take the
>> time to read, and comment maybe on all that had gone before ......... and
>> is now but a muddle in my head! There's a clue in there somewhere though!
>
> I would have if it had been convenient for me to do so.

Such a shame you were just too busy! :-)

>> I have a mission - and was/am looking for help and/or guidance.

> It's hard to know who to trust, and you shouldn't base
> trust on the alphabet soup in someones signature block.
> You get a feel for who to trust after taking the time to
> read various posts.
>
> ...and even this is no guarantee
>
>> Additionally, it might just help others if they read the original thread.
>> I do hope so anyway.
>
> Information is a good thing! :o)

It is! :-)

--
The only people who make a difference are the people who believe they can.

~BD~

Sep 23, 2014, 4:18:31 PM9/23/14
Do you trust RonNNN?

I heard a whisper that his daughter was converting to Islam - maybe to
become a 'sleeper'?

<shudder>

BurfordTJustice

Sep 24, 2014, 4:26:57 AM9/24/14

"~BD~" <~BD~@nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message

--

bd (david brooks of Devon)
Do you fuck children?

If so why?

Since as a "bad guy" hunter you refuse to go after
all the Pakis fucking British children one has to wonder why?

Did you fuck your own children or just others?
Do the Pakis share the spoils with you or maybe pay you off
if drugs?
Are you yourself maybe a Terrorist sleeper?

~BD~

Sep 25, 2014, 5:56:28 AM9/25/14