MS Malicious Software Removal Tool

jimbo30045

Nov 22, 2016, 1:18:53 PM11/22/16
every time i do a full scan with MSRT the display shows that 1 infected file has been found near the beginning of the run, but when i check the logfile after it's finished there is no file listed, nor when i click the 'show results' highlight on the run screen - that just shows all the items scanned for and shows 'not detected'. anyone have an explanation?

bre...@spamcop.net

Mar 6, 2017, 5:47:31 PM3/6/17
On 2016-11-22 11:18 AM, jimbo30045 wrote:
> every time i do a full scan with MSRT the display shows that 1 infected file has been found near the beginning of the run, but when i check the logfile after it's finished there is no file listed, nor when i click the 'show results' highlight on the run screen - that just shows all the items scanned for and shows 'not detected'. anyone have an explanation?

I don't know. You might have something running alongside MSRT that hides
itself during a run. It would hardly be the first virus to use some kind
of stealth. You might have to spring for third party tools.

Either that or take a screen shot and isolate (delete, unless you know
how to make submissions to McAfee, Norton, or M$) the file yourself so
that MSRT doesn't detect it at the beginning of a run. Hopefully, that
won't break anything.

Paul

Mar 8, 2017, 1:21:09 AM3/8/17
Scanners need a response to files they think are password protected.
So rather than being "infected", the file content is merely inaccessible to
the scanner and deemed "suspicious". You could try scanning with
some other AV, and see how many files are counted in that category.
Remove them from where MSRT can see them. Re-run the MSRT scan.
See if the "bogus count" disappears.

Paul