Does VBScript run on Mac OS X?

Peter Olcott

Dec 29, 2007, 4:34:53 PM12/29/07
Does VBScript run on Mac OS 10?

mr_unreliable

Dec 30, 2007, 10:47:40 AM12/30/07
Peter, this may be the wrong forum to ask about what is
available for the mac os, but I strongly suspect the
answer will be _NO_.

The very idea of Steve Jobs implementing anything invented
by Bill Gates boggles the imagination. After all, you
can't make claims of being consistently superior to windows
if you are just offer "me too" capabilities.

There is always applescript and others. If you know
vbScript, you will have no trouble with the various
mac scripting languages.

cheers, jw

You got questions? WE GOT ANSWERS!!! ..(but,
no guarantee the answers will be applicable to the questions)

Nex6

Jan 8, 2008, 1:32:28 PM1/8/08

"Peter Olcott" <NoS...@SeeScreen.com> wrote in message

> Does VBScript run on Mac OS 10?

No,

use applescript, Perl, python, and shell scripting.

-Nex6

applen...@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2013, 6:29:48 PM7/24/13
On Saturday, December 29, 2007 4:34:53 PM UTC-5, Peter Olcott wrote:
> Does VBScript run on Mac OS 10?

no it does not work on mac os x how ever you can use apple script editor you can find it in the utilities folder

Auric__

Jul 24, 2013, 11:34:01 PM7/24/13
Google Groupies strike again. The original post is 5-1/2 years old; Peter is
probably not still waiting for an answer.

--
Why is his name Nathaniel when everybody else has a name like
"Click-Click-Pop-Grunt"?

Mayayana

Jul 24, 2013, 11:51:10 PM7/24/13
| Google Groupies strike again. The original post is 5-1/2 years old; Peter
is
| probably not still waiting for an answer.

And since when do Apple devotees know about
Usenet, anyway? I wonder about these kind of
posts. They seem completely out of touch, and
I don't think I've ever seen one of these people
follow up in any way. It makes me wonder whether
it might be some kind of oddball spam. Could anyone
really be so stupid as to intentionally answer a
6-year-old question?

Auric__

Jul 25, 2013, 12:17:03 AM7/25/13
ISTR seeing one that replied to a 12- or 13-year-old post.

--
You eat pieces of shit for breakfast?

Dave "Crash" Dummy

Jul 25, 2013, 6:30:57 AM7/25/13
Auric__ wrote:
> applenews4579 wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, December 29, 2007 4:34:53 PM UTC-5, Peter Olcott wrote:
>>> Does VBScript run on Mac OS 10?
>> no it does not work on mac os x how ever you can use apple script editor
>> you can find it in the utilities folder
>
> Google Groupies strike again. The original post is 5-1/2 years old; Peter is
> probably not still waiting for an answer.

I've begun treating Google Groupies like trolls and decline to feed them.
--
Crash

Today is the first day of the rest of your life,
and there's not a damned thing you can do about it.

Evertjan.

Jul 25, 2013, 7:34:39 AM7/25/13
Dave "Crash" Dummy wrote on 25 jul 2013 in
microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript:

> I've begun treating Google Groupies like trolls and decline to feed them.

So why not use a general ploncking-rule?

[I do this for this NG and sleep better.]

You won't miss an accidental genuine posting,
since you won't be aware of it.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Dave "Crash" Dummy

Jul 25, 2013, 9:44:12 AM7/25/13
Evertjan. wrote:
> Dave "Crash" Dummy wrote on 25 jul 2013 in
> microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript:
>
>> I've begun treating Google Groupies like trolls and decline to feed
>> them.
>
> So why not use a general ploncking-rule?
>
> [I do this for this NG and sleep better.]
>
> You won't miss an accidental genuine posting, since you won't be
> aware of it.

I considered that, but I don't see how I can do that with the limited
filtering
available in my old TBird reader, and I don't want to change newsreaders
just to get rid of Google Groupies.

Auric__

Jul 25, 2013, 10:47:15 AM7/25/13
Dave "Crash" Dummy wrote:

> Evertjan. wrote:
>> Dave "Crash" Dummy wrote on 25 jul 2013 in
>> microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript:
>>
>>> I've begun treating Google Groupies like trolls and decline to feed
>>> them.
>>
>> So why not use a general ploncking-rule?
>>
>> [I do this for this NG and sleep better.]
>>
>> You won't miss an accidental genuine posting, since you won't be
>> aware of it.
>
> I considered that, but I don't see how I can do that with the limited
> filtering
> available in my old TBird reader, and I don't want to change newsreaders
> just to get rid of Google Groupies.

Blinky the Shark suggested setting up your own private server to do the
filtering for you...

http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/filters_ex2.html

--
Hardware: The part you kick.
Software: This you corrupt!

Dave "Crash" Dummy

Jul 25, 2013, 11:20:59 AM7/25/13
Thanks! That's more work than switching newsreaders! I'll save that
link for when I am really, really desperate or really, really bored.
--
Crash

"It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory."
~ W. Edwards Deming ~

Todd Vargo

Jul 25, 2013, 6:36:03 PM7/25/13
I set up a filter in TB to tag all posts where Message-ID contains
@googlegroups.com so I know before even reading a post that it may be a
nuisance to read/respond. If you don't want to see them at all, you can
simply switch from tag to delete and not read any gg posts at all.

--
Todd Vargo
(Post questions to group only. Remove "z" to email personal messages)

Dave "Crash" Dummy

Jul 25, 2013, 6:50:39 PM7/25/13
My TB 2.0.0.24 doesn't have the "Message-ID" option, just "From,"
"Subject" and "Date." Most of the Google Groupie posts have "@gmail" in
the "From" entry. I've been using that in combination with "Re:" in the
"Subject" entry. I currently have it set to ignore thread and delete,
but it hasn't been active long enough to judge its effectiveness.

--
Crash

"I am not young enough to know everything."
~ Oscar Wilde ~

Todd Vargo

Jul 26, 2013, 5:29:55 PM7/26/13
On 7/25/2013 6:50 PM, Dave "Crash" Dummy wrote:

> My TB 2.0.0.24 doesn't have the "Message-ID" option, just "From,"
> "Subject" and "Date." Most of the Google Groupie posts have "@gmail" in
> the "From" entry. I've been using that in combination with "Re:" in the
> "Subject" entry. I currently have it set to ignore thread and delete,
> but it hasn't been active long enough to judge its effectiveness.

Sorry to hear this. It may be time to upgrade to a current version that
is supported with security updates. Note, not all posters having an
@gmail address are gg posters so you would erroneously be deleting
worthy posts along with the bad ones.

Dave "Crash" Dummy

Jul 26, 2013, 5:55:29 PM7/26/13
Todd Vargo wrote:
> On 7/25/2013 6:50 PM, Dave "Crash" Dummy wrote:
>>
>> My TB 2.0.0.24 doesn't have the "Message-ID" option, just "From,"
>> "Subject" and "Date." Most of the Google Groupie posts have
>> "@gmail" in the "From" entry. I've been using that in combination
>> with "Re:" in the "Subject" entry. I currently have it set to
>> ignore thread and delete, but it hasn't been active long enough to
>> judge its effectiveness.
>>

> Sorry to hear this. It may be time to upgrade to a current version
> that is supported with security updates. Note, not all posters having
> an @gmail address are gg posters so you would erroneously be deleting
> worthy posts along with the bad ones.

I know that a lot of people have gmail addresses, but all the ones I've
seen posted without brackets as "From" entries have been Googlers.

--
Crash

"Never underestimate the power of the Dark Side."
~ Obi-Wan Kenobi ~

alexdes...@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2016, 6:39:02 PM12/19/16
On Saturday, December 29, 2007 at 4:34:53 PM UTC-5, Peter Olcott wrote:
> Does VBScript run on Mac OS 10?

I know that I can't run .vbs directly on my mac without bootcamp or other virtual machine. Is there any way on macOS 10.12.3 to convert .vbs to .scptd?

Mayayana

Dec 19, 2016, 9:06:20 PM12/19/16
<alexdes...@gmail.com> wrote

| I know that I can't run .vbs directly on my mac without bootcamp or other
virtual machine. Is there any way on macOS 10.12.3 to convert .vbs to
.scptd?

By definition script is interpreted. VBS is interpreted
by Windows Script Host. In IE it's intrerpreted by IE.
Likewise with javascript. Perl can be run on Windows
but the Perl interpreter must be installed.

I have no idea what scptd is. Mac script? My
impression was that Macs only had "Apple script",
which seems to be simple commands written as
sentences. Someone would have to write a VBS
interpreter if you want to run it on a Mac. Though
Windows Script host can be installed under WINE
in Linux, so that's also a possibility.

The next issue you'd run into would be what to
do with it once you got it working. VBS is designed for
Windows and gets much of its power from COM
libraries. So you'd need to install the basics,
like scrrun.dll. Then you'd also have to figure out
how to use COM libraries on the Mac. What makes VBS
in WSH so different from browser script is the function
CreateObject. That allows VBS to load and use any
compatible COM object. But COM libraries are Windows.
They usually call Win32 API functions and/or other
Windows libraries. So it gets complicated. It's sort
of like asking if you can speak English in France. You
can, but it will only be useful when you find English-
speaking French people to talk to.

Auric__

Dec 20, 2016, 2:55:29 AM12/20/16
Mayayana wrote:

> <alexdes...@gmail.com> wrote
>
>| I know that I can't run .vbs directly on my mac without bootcamp or other
> virtual machine. Is there any way on macOS 10.12.3 to convert .vbs to
> .scptd?
>
> By definition script is interpreted. VBS is interpreted
> by Windows Script Host. In IE it's intrerpreted by IE.
> Likewise with javascript. Perl can be run on Windows
> but the Perl interpreter must be installed.
>
> I have no idea what scptd is. Mac script? My
> impression was that Macs only had "Apple script",
> which seems to be simple commands written as
> sentences. Someone would have to write a VBS
> interpreter if you want to run it on a Mac. Though
> Windows Script host can be installed under WINE
> in Linux, so that's also a possibility.

There are a few ports of Wine for OSX. I'm unwilling to try any of them on
*my* Mac, but they exist.

> The next issue you'd run into would be what to
> do with it once you got it working. VBS is designed for
> Windows and gets much of its power from COM
> libraries. So you'd need to install the basics,
> like scrrun.dll. Then you'd also have to figure out
> how to use COM libraries on the Mac. What makes VBS
> in WSH so different from browser script is the function
> CreateObject. That allows VBS to load and use any
> compatible COM object. But COM libraries are Windows.
> They usually call Win32 API functions and/or other
> Windows libraries. So it gets complicated. It's sort
> of like asking if you can speak English in France. You
> can, but it will only be useful when you find English-
> speaking French people to talk to.

...except you're a *lot* more likely to find English-speaking Frenchmen than
VBScript interpreters on any *nix system.

alexdesanmartin: There are BASIC interpreters available for OSX. They
generally aren't compatible with VBScript, and in fact are often
incompatible with any variant of MS BASIC. The one that comes immediately to
mind is Chipmunk Basic:

http://www.nicholson.com/rhn/basic/

There are also some OSX *compilers* that are VB-compatible to some degree
(and it's a fairly short step from VBScript to Visual Basic) if you'd like
to try that route. KBasic comes closest, IMHO:

http://www.kbasic.com/mac.html

--
Wow. You're as much an ass in real life as when
you're a faceless entity on a computer screen.

Mayayana

Dec 20, 2016, 10:29:25 AM12/20/16
"Auric__" <not.m...@email.address> wrote

| There are a few ports of Wine for OSX. I'm unwilling to try any of them on
| *my* Mac, but they exist.

I tried it on Linux at one point, a few years
ago. A WINE honcho came into a Windows
programming group looking for volunteers to
work on porting their Windows software to
WINE. The project didn't really work out. He
didn't want to cooperate or share info to help
us adapt Win32 API calls to what WINE could
handle. He just wanted us to work as lackey
bug testers in what turned out to be a sort of
paramilitary organization. (Thus, "honcho".
There was clearly a hierarchical command
structure in the WINE group. Maybe that's
just how corporate "cooperation" works. I
don't know. As someone who's self-employed
I didn't have patience with it, and it quickly
became clear that the WINE-os were not going
to provide any help to, or cooperate with,
Windows developers.)

In general I find WINE disappointing. It's over
20 years old now, with a new release about
every 10 days, yet they've never got the kinks
out. Their implementation of the API is inexplicably
unreflective of the Windows DLLs. And as is typical
on Linux, docs are all but non-existent. (Even
those were supposed to be specially "compiled".)
But even if they got their act together about
docs, if a shell32 call or kernel32 call on Windows
is not in shell32 or kernel32 under WINE then it
becomes very challenging to even look up what
functions are supported and how.

Nevertheless, in the course of my explorations I
tried out installing WSH on WINE and it worked
pretty well.
Since WINE interprets Windows API calls and then
sends them through the Linux API, VBS on Linux
was fairly useful. For instance, enumerating files
in a folder had no restrictions. I wrote up some
of the details here, for anyone who wants to do
similar:

http://www.jsware.net/jsware/vblinux.php5

That was several years ago. If anything WINE
should now be more adaptable to WSH than
it was back then.

kemani...@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2020, 12:27:08 AM7/15/20
ur gay

Auric__

Jul 15, 2020, 4:02:05 AM7/15/20
kemaniloprino wrote:

> ur gay

And you're an idiot.

--
Your anger can hurt the ones you care about.
The ones that care about you.