VBS Script Delete SQL Record

Joshua C. Clark

Apr 11, 2003, 4:12:35 PM4/11/03
Any way to delete a record, I can add, update, just not able to delete
records..

Ray at work

Apr 11, 2003, 4:30:33 PM4/11/03
What does "can't" mean? Error?

"DELETE FROM [TableName] WHERE [Field]='value';"

Ray at work

"Joshua C. Clark" <Jo...@Network-Medics.Com> wrote in message

Joshua C. Clark

Apr 11, 2003, 4:37:42 PM4/11/03
What about if want to delete Multiple Rows?

"Ray at work" <r...@work.spam> wrote in message

Joshua C. Clark

Apr 11, 2003, 4:37:20 PM4/11/03
Just did not know the syntax, thanks!!

Ray at work

Apr 11, 2003, 4:46:14 PM4/11/03
That's where your WHERE clause comes in. You identify which rows you want
to delete by using a WHERE clause.

Ray at work

"Joshua C. Clark" <Jo...@Network-Medics.Com> wrote in message

Ray at work

Apr 11, 2003, 5:33:49 PM4/11/03
1. Posting attachments will get you scolded by many. :]

2. Don't do "DELETE * FROM" It's just "DELETE FROM" When you delete, the
entire row is deleted, so you do not have to (/cannot) specify which columns
to delete.

If you execute "DELETE FROM TABLE" it will clear out the whole table, btw.

> I have a SQL DB called eventlog, I have a table called table, my ODBC is
> correct, and I am using this Script, what am I missing,
>
> Const adOpenStatic = 3
> Const adLockOptimistic = 3
> Const adUseClient = 3
> Set objConnection = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
> Set objRecordset = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
> objConnection.Open "DSN=eventlogs;"
> objRecordset.CursorLocation = adUseClient
> objRecordset.Open "Delete * FROM table" , objConnection, adOpenStatic,
> adLockOptimistic
> objConnection.Close

Ray at work

Apr 11, 2003, 5:40:12 PM4/11/03
Oh, and you don't need to create a recordset. Just do objConnection.Execute
"DELETE FROM TABLE"

Ray at work

"Ray at work" <r...@work.spam> wrote in message

Joshua C. Clark

Apr 11, 2003, 6:34:18 PM4/11/03
Something like this, I cannot get it working though..

Const adOpenStatic = 3
Const adLockOptimistic = 3
Const adUseClient = 3
Set objConnection = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

objConnection.Open "DSN=eventlogs;"
objConnection.Execute DELETE FROM TABLE "TABLE"
objConnection.Close

"Ray at work" <r...@work.spam> wrote in message

Ray at work

Apr 11, 2003, 6:42:24 PM4/11/03
It's not "delete from table table"

DELETE FROM THENAMEOFYOURTABLEFROMWHICHYOUWOULDLIKETODELETERECORDS

Ray at work

"Joshua C. Clark" <Jo...@Network-Medics.Com> wrote in message

Joshua C. Clark

Apr 11, 2003, 6:48:36 PM4/11/03
I got it stupid me, thanks!!!!!

Const adOpenStatic = 3
Const adLockOptimistic = 3
Const adUseClient = 3
Set objConnection = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
Set objRecordset = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
objConnection.Open "DSN=eventlogs;"
objRecordset.CursorLocation = adUseClient

objRecordset.Open "Delete FROM event" , objConnection, _

adOpenStatic, adLockOptimistic
objConnection.Close
"Ray at work" <r...@work.spam> wrote in message

Ray at home

Apr 12, 2003, 3:51:10 AM4/12/03
Nice, although there is still no need to create a recordset.

Set objConnection = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

With objConnection
.Open "DSN=eventlogs;"
.Execute "DELETE FROM EVENT"
.Close
End With
Set objConnection = Nothing

Ray at home

"Joshua C. Clark" <Jo...@Network-Medics.Com> wrote in message

Paul White

Apr 12, 2003, 5:12:37 AM4/12/03

"Ray at home" <r...@ajf8jalskdfna.sefrhja7yasdf.com> wrote in message

> Nice, although there is still no need to create a recordset.
> Set objConnection = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
> With objConnection
> .Open "DSN=eventlogs;"
> .Execute "DELETE FROM EVENT"
> .Close
> End With
> Set objConnection = Nothing

That will still delete all records in the table. Remember to use your WHERE
clause.

DELETE FROM EVENT WHERE EVENT_DATE < Date() - 30

Ray at home

Apr 13, 2003, 1:26:13 AM4/13/03
He's been warned more than once about that. :]

Ray at home

"Paul White" <p...@bigpond.net.auNOSPAM> wrote in message

Joshua C. Clark

Apr 14, 2003, 8:30:45 AM4/14/03
Thank you all for your help, actually I do want to delete everything in my
Table, what I created was, for all of my servers I have every 30 seconds the
Event logs exported, then SQL imports them every minute, but since I want
them to be always current I needed to delete everything in the Table instead
of using an Update, then I use an ASP page I created to display them which
is refreshed every minute, so that way when I or a collegue is paged instead
of wasting time VPN'ing into our WAN we can simply open our browser and see
all of the event logs.