Delete Folders using WMI

Babu VT

Jun 29, 2009, 11:51:08 AM6/29/09
Hi,
I'm trying to clean "$NTUninstall..." folders from remote machines and found
the below snippet useful.Unfortunately it isn't deleting any folders.Can
someone point me where is the fault... I can't use FSO objects since I need
to delete folders in multiple machines where C$ shares might not be
available.

strComputer ="."
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
strQueryString1 = "Select * from Win32_Directory where Name = '" &
OSRootDir & "'"
Set colSubfolders = objWMIService.ExecQuery (strQueryString1)
For Each objFolder in colSubfolders
If Instr( UCase(objFolder.Name), "$NTUNINSTALL" ) > 0 then
strReport = strReport & "Deleted :" & strcomputer & ":" & objFolder.Name
& " uninstall folder" & vbCrLf
objFolder.delete
End If

Next

Pegasus [MVP]

Jun 29, 2009, 1:02:27 PM6/29/09

"Babu VT" <bab...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

You need to assign a value to OSRootDir, e.g. "c:\\Windows". Alternatively
this Scripting Guy item might help:
How Can I Delete a Folder and All Its Subfolders?
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources/qanda/apr05/hey0405.mspx

Mark D. MacLachlan

Jun 30, 2009, 11:57:01 PM6/30/09
Babu VT wrote:

Rather than just deleting the uninstalls, I prefer to check the age of
the folders just to be sure it is safe to remove them. That is why I
wrote the following which will only delete the folders if they are more
than 2 weeks old.

[code]
'=======================================================================
===
'
' NAME: CleanHotfixUninstalls.vbs
'
' AUTHOR: Mark D. MacLachlan , The Spider's Parlor
' COPYRIGHT (c) 2008 All rights reserved
' DATE : 05/07/2008
'
' COMMENT:
'
' This script will enumerate Uninstall folders under the Windows
directory
' and delete them if they are more than two weeks old
'
'
' THIS CODE AND INFORMATION IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF
' ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO
' THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND/OR FITNESS FOR A
' PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
'
' IN NO EVENT SHALL THE SPIDER'S PARLOR AND/OR ITS RESPECTIVE
SUPPLIERS
' BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY
' DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS,
' WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS
' ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE
' OF THIS CODE OR INFORMATION.
'=====================================
Dim fso, WshShell
Dim oFolder, oSubFolder

Set WshShell=CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WinDir = WshShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%WinDir%")

Path = WinDir

Set oFolder = fso.GetFolder(Path)
Set colSubfolders = oFolder.Subfolders

For Each oSubfolder in colSubfolders
If Left(oSubFolder.Name,1) = "$" Then
If Right(oSubFolder.Name,1) = "$" Then
'If DateDiff("d", oSubFolder.DateCreated,Now) > 14 Then
fso.DeleteFolder(oSubFolder)
'End If
End If
End If
Next

Set oSubFolder = Nothing
Set oFolder = Nothing
Set fso = Nothing
[/code]

Mark D. MacLachlan

Jul 1, 2009, 3:11:26 PM7/1/09
Just realized the posted version had the two week check commented out.

Mark D. MacLachlan

Jul 2, 2009, 12:33:12 AM7/2/09
Sorry for the repost, but I noticed I had the date checks commented out
on the previously posted version.