change id numbers to task numbers

Bac@discussions.microsoft.com Rich Bac

Feb 27, 2007, 10:01:51 AM2/27/07
if i create aprogramme with the dates out of order and then want to rearange
them to run in sequence how do I get the ID numbers to run in sequence
instead of being out of order

John

Feb 27, 2007, 10:30:13 AM2/27/07
In article <59764B68-77B6-4C24...@microsoft.com>,

Rich,
Simple, first go to Project/Sort. Set the sort for Start date, (I assume
that's what you mean by "in sequence"), and then check the option to
"permanently renumber tasks". You may or may not want to "keep outline
structure".

John
Project MVP

Jan De Messemaeker

Feb 27, 2007, 2:45:29 PM2/27/07
Hi all,

Just for the sake of completeness, when you uncheck Keep outline structure
there is no way to permanently renumber.
HTH

--
Jan De Messemaeker
Microsoft Project MVP
"John" <mje...@theriver.com> wrote in message

John

Feb 28, 2007, 10:26:16 AM2/28/07
In article <ONosXfqW...@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>,

"Jan De Messemaeker" <jandemes at prom hyphen ade dot be> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just for the sake of completeness, when you uncheck Keep outline structure
> there is no way to permanently renumber.
> HTH
>
> --
> Jan De Messemaeker

Jan,
Good catch. Sometimes I forget the little details. Thanks for clarifying.

John

Steve Haw

Aug 28, 2020, 7:37:53 PM8/28/20
On Tuesday, February 27, 2007 at 11:45:29 AM UTC-8, Jan De Messemaeker wrote:
> Hi all,
> Just for the sake of completeness, when you uncheck Keep outline structure
> there is no way to permanently renumber.
> HTH
> --
> Jan De Messemaeker
> Microsoft Project MVP
> http://users.online.be/prom-ade
>

> >> if i create aprogramme with the dates out of order and then want to
> >> rearange
> >> them to run in sequence how do I get the ID numbers to run in sequence
> >> instead of being out of order
> >
> > Rich,
> > Simple, first go to Project/Sort. Set the sort for Start date, (I assume
> > that's what you mean by "in sequence"), and then check the option to
> > "permanently renumber tasks". You may or may not want to "keep outline
> > structure".
> >
> > John
> > Project MVP

This didn't work at all. I don't understand why people don't understand this question. Tasks have been moved around and we want to KEEP that new order, NOT sort it back to the way it was. Say the new ID order is 2, 4, 1, 3. I want to REASSIGN ID numbers so that 2 is now 1, 4 is now 2, 1 is now 3, and 3 is now 4. So frustrating the entire internet doesn't understand this simple question. Facepalm