MS Project will not add data in Cost field

Django

Feb 10, 2010, 9:26:01 PM2/10/10
Can anyone help me with the following problem? I have a column for cost, I
enter the data, however, MS Project will not add the data and provide a total
in the summary line. Appreciate any assistance in resolving this problem.

--
Django

John

Feb 10, 2010, 10:20:36 PM2/10/10
In article <DCBA6A63-573B-4D7A...@microsoft.com>,
Django <djan...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Django,
Since you are entering the data I assume you are using a spare cost
field (e.g. Cost1). Project will only sum up data in spare fields if
that field is customized with a formula, and then only if the user
selects the option to sum up data for summary lines. Simply entering
data will not create a formula.

Off hand I can't think of any way to create a formula in the same field
where you want to enter data. However you can do what you want using two
spare cost fields. Enter your data in one field (e.g. Cost1). Customize
another spare cost field (e.g. Cost2) with a formula that simply equals
the value in Cost1. The formula and the option to sum up the data is set
using Tools/Customize/Fields.

Hope this helps.

John
Project MVP

Trevor Rabey

Feb 11, 2010, 12:01:19 AM2/11/10
If you enter $ directly in the task Cost field, without assigning resources
which themselves have costs, MSP assumes that you mean this to be a Fixed
Cost, ie one which accrues to the task due to something other than resource
assignments.

You can see this most clearly if you have the Cost Table active, because it
has the Fixed Cost field and the Cost field.
Fixed Cost does not roll up, which leaves availiable the possibility of
assigning Fixed Cost to Summaries.
However, it is generally good practice to not assign any resources or costs
(or Work) to Summaries.
Also, it is good practice to not use Summaries for anything (other than as
simple headings and sub-headings), including predecessor/successor links.
(Note, this is especially a good idea because the "analyse time scaled data
in excel" button on the Analysis toolbar does not "see" costs of Summaries,
only of tasks, for the Cumulative Cost curve)

--
Trevor Rabey
0407213955

"Django" <djan...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

JulieS

Feb 11, 2010, 5:31:37 AM2/11/10

Just a quick clarification. In Project 2007 at least, you can select a
summary function (sum, min, max) for group or summary fields still
allowing the user to enter data into the subtasks. See Tools >
Customize > Fields.

I hope this helps.
Julie

John

Feb 11, 2010, 11:26:10 AM2/11/10
In article <uh7TmVwq...@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>,
JulieS <Jul...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

Julie,
Thanks for the clarification. When I responded I didn't have Project
open so I was going from memory. At least I "covered" myself by saying I
couldn't think of a way :-)

John

JulieS

Feb 11, 2010, 12:14:45 PM2/11/10

> Julie,
> Thanks for the clarification. When I responded I didn't have Project
> open so I was going from memory. At least I "covered" myself by saying I
> couldn't think of a way :-)
>
> John

John you have forgotten more about Project that I ever knew :-)

vip001

Jul 9, 2012, 5:39:43 PM7/9/12
> Django

Product: MS Project 2007 OR 2010
Steps:
1. Change to Gantt Chart view mode
2. Display the cost column
3. On any task item that also has a resource assigned, manually enter the task
(Resource does not have a std or ovt cost in the resource sheet)

Issues:
1. cost correctly displays in Cash Flow - visual report
2. cost does NOT display in Resource Cost summary - visual report
3. If you update the std and ovt cost, the cost column does not update itself
4. If you delete the manually entered cost, it remains "0" forever,
does not update based on recalculation

Request for assistance: Anyone else manually entered the cost and run into
similar problems? what is the fix? Only way i was able to resolve was to
re-create the whole task. That would be combersome if you have over 300 tasks
in
the plan.

Darren Lafferty

Sep 24, 2020, 5:59:06 PM9/24/20
Cost works, but 'spare cost' fields take a few steps. For MS Project 2016, right click the column header, click customer fields, choose your custom field (Cost1 for example), under Calculation for tasks and groups summary rows choose 'rollup'