PWA - Security Issue & Processing hung

David F-H

Jul 16, 2007, 2:58:00 AM7/16/07
I am currently running a pilot MS Project Server installation and have the
following problems:
1. When I logon to PWA as an authenticated LAN user, I keep getting asked
to sign-on again when I try to perform certain tasks (eg. Approving task
updates). Note that I am set up as an administrator. Further, when I
re-enter my user password (or another valid administrator user/password), the
logon screen just keeps re-appearing, and I have to close the browser down.
However, if I change my user details to point to a local account on the
actual server (instead of my LAN account), I am able to logon and perform all
tasks in PWA.
2. My second problem is that I have successfully accepted some task updates
(using a local server account), but the status update task appears to be
stuck in processing mode when I look at the queue in PWA. The job state says
"Processing" and it is 40% complete, and has been for several hours. There
is nothing else running in the queue. I have tried cancelling the job,
rebooting the server, and explicitly restarting the Project Server Queue
Service, but it won't budge!

Can someone please offer some advice?

Ben Howard

Jul 16, 2007, 5:30:03 AM7/16/07
Re 1) - Are you assigned to the correct groups (its not enough just to be an
administrator, you need to be a member of the Project Manager group etc).
Make sure you logged on as the correct Windows Account. You should only need
to type in a username\password if you are using forms authentication.
Potentially it could be IE caching usernames and passwords, and these will
need to be cleared.
--
Thanks, Ben.
http://appleparkltd.spaces.live.com/

David F-H

Jul 17, 2007, 1:50:02 AM7/17/07
Excellent - thanks for that Ben. It appears to have fixed the security issue
- I have set myself up in the following groups (Administrators, Project
Managers & Resource Managers), and assigned the following categories with
full permissions (My Direct Reports, My Projects, My Resources and My Tasks).

However, approval processing for Task Updates still does not appear to work:
- I have approved a timesheet for another resource.
- I have logged on as that resource and imported the timesheet in My
Tasks, and submitted for approval.
- I have then logged on again as myself, and approved the Task Updates.

However, when I look at the job queue, it is again stuck on 40% complete in
a job state of "Processing". The same thing (approving a task update) from
yesterday ended overnight with a job state of cancelled (because I tried to
cancel it yesterday) - so I'm not sure if the associated error message is
still relevant (see following).

Error summary/areas:
ProjectHasNoWriteLock
ProjectHasNoWriteLock
Queue
GeneralQueueJobFailed
Error details:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
<errinfo>
<general>
<class name="ProjectHasNoWriteLock">
<error id="1042" name="ProjectHasNoWriteLock"
uid="a5f78181-66ba-4314-8a83-253a2c237314" />
</class>
<class name="Queue">
<error id="26000" name="GeneralQueueJobFailed"
uid="8cd73b84-d748-47ce-ab98-e18ae4b967f8"

JobUID="82283daf-a875-4699-975a-03517db46d27" ComputerName="SGAPSYS011"
GroupType="StatusApproval"

MessageType="StatusApprovalReleaseProjectWriteLockMessage" MessageId="4"
Stage="" />
</class>
</general>
</errinfo>

Brian Tkatch

Jul 17, 2007, 9:02:22 AM7/17/07
On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 23:58:00 -0700, David F-H
<Dav...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am currently running a pilot MS Project Server installation and have the
>following problems:
>1. When I logon to PWA as an authenticated LAN user, I keep getting asked
>to sign-on again when I try to perform certain tasks (eg. Approving task
>updates). Note that I am set up as an administrator. Further, when I
>re-enter my user password (or another valid administrator user/password), the
>logon screen just keeps re-appearing, and I have to close the browser down.
>However, if I change my user details to point to a local account on the
>actual server (instead of my LAN account), I am able to logon and perform all
>tasks in PWA.

In IIS, allow anonymous access to virtual directory. If only Windows
authentication is allowed, whenever a local resource is pulled (like
an ActiveX control), it will ask for a second login.

IIS\xxx (local computer)\Web Sites\Default Web Site\Project Server
->Properties->Directory Security\Edit

and check "Enable anonymous access" on top. In "Authenticated Access"
the option "Integrated Windows Authentication" should already be
checked, and it should be left that way.

B.

Brian Tkatch

Jul 17, 2007, 9:06:34 AM7/17/07
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 22:50:02 -0700, David F-H
<Dav...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>However, when I look at the job queue, it is again stuck on 40% complete in
>a job state of "Processing". The same thing (approving a task update) from
>yesterday ended overnight with a job state of cancelled (because I tried to
>cancel it yesterday) - so I'm not sure if the associated error message is
>still relevant (see following).

>Error summary/areas:
>ProjectHasNoWriteLock
>ProjectHasNoWriteLock
>Queue
>GeneralQueueJobFailed
>Error details:

ProjectHasNoWriteLock sound like a DB error. Is everything OK with the
DB? Can you query without issue in the ProjectServer DB?

B.

David F-H

Jul 18, 2007, 1:14:00 AM7/18/07
I can successfully query the ProjectServer_Draft, ProjectServer_Published &
ProjectServer_Reporting databases, and I tried adding a test row (with dummy
data) to the MSP_TASKS_SUBMITTED table in the ProjectServer_Published
database, which was successful (and then I deleted the row OK as well).
The MSP_TASKS_SUBMITTED table (in both the Published and Draft databases)
have zero rows - but from the name I thought there may have been at least one
row as I have submitted a task for approval (but I'm guessing at the way it
works).
Note that I am using SQL Server 2005 installed on the same machine as
Project Server 2007.

Brian Tkatch

Jul 18, 2007, 10:34:49 AM7/18/07
On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 22:14:00 -0700, David F-H
<Dav...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I can successfully query the ProjectServer_Draft, ProjectServer_Published &
>ProjectServer_Reporting databases, and I tried adding a test row (with dummy
>data) to the MSP_TASKS_SUBMITTED table in the ProjectServer_Published
>database, which was successful (and then I deleted the row OK as well).
>The MSP_TASKS_SUBMITTED table (in both the Published and Draft databases)
>have zero rows - but from the name I thought there may have been at least one
>row as I have submitted a task for approval (but I'm guessing at the way it
>works).
>Note that I am using SQL Server 2005 installed on the same machine as
>Project Server 2007.

Perhaps someone else can answer then. I'm on PS 2003 with SQL Server
2000.

I say it still sounds like a DB error.

B.

David F-H

Jul 23, 2007, 1:14:03 AM7/23/07
OK, thanks for your thoughts Brian.
I have tried cancelling this job in the queue, but it has no effect. Unless
someone else has a different suggestion, I am going to clean out the server
and reinstall all the software (SQL Server 2005 and MS Project Server 2007).
I will then set up my users & custom fields again, create a very simple
project, and try the same sequence :

Timesheet entry -> submit -> approve -> Task update - import Timesheet ->
submit for approval -> (try to) approve ....

martinwais

Mar 8, 2010, 10:11:07 AM3/8/10
We have the same problem. The job is not really stuck, but it lasts for 20 minutes and the Queue uses 100% of one CPU during this time.
Status updates for other projects are completed in seconds and some time ago status updates for the now affected project worked in seconds, too. I am not aware of any significant change in that project.
I even made a copy of that project and made a status update and had the same effect. SO something seems to be special about that project, but what?

DavidF wrote:

OK, thanks for your thoughts Brian.

23-Jul-07

OK, thanks for your thoughts Brian.
I have tried cancelling this job in the queue, but it has no effect. Unless
someone else has a different suggestion, I am going to clean out the server
and reinstall all the software (SQL Server 2005 and MS Project Server 2007).
I will then set up my users & custom fields again, create a very simple
project, and try the same sequence :

Timesheet entry -> submit -> approve -> Task update - import Timesheet ->
submit for approval -> (try to) approve ....

"Brian Tkatch" wrote:

On Monday, July 16, 2007 2:58 AM
DavidF wrote:

[...]

On Monday, July 16, 2007 5:30 AM
BenHowar wrote:

Re 1) - Are you assigned to the correct groups (its not enough just to be an
Re 1) - Are you assigned to the correct groups (its not enough just to be an
administrator, you need to be a member of the Project Manager group etc).
Make sure you logged on as the correct Windows Account. You should only need
to type in a username\password if you are using forms authentication.
Potentially it could be IE caching usernames and passwords, and these will
need to be cleared.
--
Thanks, Ben.
http://appleparkltd.spaces.live.com/

"David F-H" wrote:

On Tuesday, July 17, 2007 1:50 AM
DavidF wrote:

[...]

"Ben Howard" wrote:

On Tuesday, July 17, 2007 9:06 AM
Brian Tkatch wrote:

Re: PWA - Security Issue & Processing hung

ProjectHasNoWriteLock sound like a DB error. Is everything OK with the
DB? Can you query without issue in the ProjectServer DB?

B.

On Wednesday, July 18, 2007 1:14 AM
DavidF wrote:

I can successfully query the ProjectServer_Draft, ProjectServer_Published &
I can successfully query the ProjectServer_Draft, ProjectServer_Published &
ProjectServer_Reporting databases, and I tried adding a test row (with dummy
data) to the MSP_TASKS_SUBMITTED table in the ProjectServer_Published
database, which was successful (and then I deleted the row OK as well).
The MSP_TASKS_SUBMITTED table (in both the Published and Draft databases)
have zero rows - but from the name I thought there may have been at least one
row as I have submitted a task for approval (but I'm guessing at the way it
works).
Note that I am using SQL Server 2005 installed on the same machine as
Project Server 2007.

"Brian Tkatch" wrote:

On Wednesday, July 18, 2007 10:34 AM
Brian Tkatch wrote:

Re: PWA - Security Issue & Processing hung
Perhaps someone else can answer then. I am on PS 2003 with SQL Server
2000.

I say it still sounds like a DB error.

B.

On Monday, July 23, 2007 1:14 AM
DavidF wrote:

OK, thanks for your thoughts Brian.
OK, thanks for your thoughts Brian.
I have tried cancelling this job in the queue, but it has no effect. Unless
someone else has a different suggestion, I am going to clean out the server
and reinstall all the software (SQL Server 2005 and MS Project Server 2007).
I will then set up my users & custom fields again, create a very simple
project, and try the same sequence :

Timesheet entry -> submit -> approve -> Task update - import Timesheet ->
submit for approval -> (try to) approve ....

"Brian Tkatch" wrote:

Sending SMTP email from within BizTalk Orchestration
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/9dd0f346-baf9-4674-a50f-1716445b26bc/sending-smtp-email-from-w.aspx

martinwais

Mar 8, 2010, 10:15:29 AM3/8/10

DavidF wrote:

Excellent - thanks for that Ben.

17-Jul-07

"Ben Howard" wrote:

"David F-H" wrote:

On Tuesday, July 17, 2007 1:50 AM
DavidF wrote:

"Ben Howard" wrote:

B.

"Brian Tkatch" wrote:

B.

"Brian Tkatch" wrote:

On Monday, March 08, 2010 10:11 AM
Martin Wais wrote:

Status Update Job stuck at 40%

We have the same problem. The job is not really stuck, but it lasts for 20 minutes and the Queue uses 100% of one CPU during this time.
Status updates for other projects are completed in seconds and some time ago status updates for the now affected project worked in seconds, too. I am not aware of any significant change in that project.
I even made a copy of that project and made a status update and had the same effect. SO something seems to be special about that project, but what?

Featured Product / Service Review: TekPub
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/ae6e21fa-3443-4134-9d2e-39384482c80e/featured-product--servic.aspx

tita...@gmail.com

Aug 7, 2015, 3:53:16 PM8/7/15
My organization is encountering the very same issue that the original poster (David F-H on 7/16/2007) reported (issue #2 - Status Update stuck "Processing" at 40%).

Our Status Update was approved by one of the Admins and is now stuck at 40% for more than 28 hours. Other Project Managers continue to be able to check out, save, publish, and check projects back into Server without issues over this time, but this *one* Administrator now cannot save, publish, or check-in any of the schedules that are checked out to her.

We are running Project Server 2010 with June 9, 2015 Hotfixes applied (I assume this includes all cumulative updates). ONLY this one master user is being impacted by the issue (well, no users can check out the schedules that are checked out to her, either).

We have tried:
- Cancelling the job several times--no success.
- Rebooted the server--no success.
- Restarted the Project Server Queue Service--no success.