How do I secure my powerpoint presentation from being copied

Ravenxx

Jul 8, 2007, 6:24:01 PM7/8/07
I am new to powerpoint presentations, could anyone please tell me how I make
my presentation read only or secure the document so it can't be copied or
changed by anyone, so I can burn onto a disc and not worry about my ideas
being copied off the disc, thanks

Tom Conrad

Jul 8, 2007, 6:38:03 PM7/8/07
Ravenxx,

In Office 2003, MS introduced Information Rights Management (IRM).
IRM features can only be accessed after the IRM module is installed.

See the following link, for furhter information
<http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/HA010397891033.aspx>

Permissions are set via, the File menu, permissions, {options}.

I have not used IRM. Perhaps other users in this group can comment.

--
Tom Conrad

===

Echo S

Jul 8, 2007, 8:49:37 PM7/8/07
IRM in 2003 requires a Windows Rights Management client application
installation -- it's really for corporate use and not for regular users. I
know not one person who has ever used it, even within corporations.

Here's some info on protecting a presentation. It's probably a little more
practical.

Password protect a presentation
http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00038.htm

Additionally, PPT 2007 does have a "restrict permission" option (Office
button | Prepare | Restrict Permission). You have to sign up for
"credentials" using a Windows Live ID, but it does seem to give you the
option to restrict access using email addresses and such. I don't have a lot
of experience with it, but it looks promising...especially since it seems to
be available even for a regular joe user like me! (In other words, it
doesn't require corporate stuff like Windows Rights Management clients and
such.) And I think it must be free, because I sure don't recall paying for
such a service.

--
Echo S [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.com
What's new in PowerPoint 2007? http://www.echosvoice.com/2007.htm

"Tom Conrad" <TomC...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

shark3steven

Jul 9, 2007, 12:20:20 AM7/9/07
1.save the PowerPoint presentation as PPS. go to
File>Save As> PowerPoint Show

2.convert the PowerPoint presentation into flash or video by some
presentation tools.
presentation tool: PPT2Flash,PPT2Video
http://www.sameshow.com/download/download.html

I prefer to the latter solution. when PPS is opend, it will play
automatically. But this can not prevent other people editing your
presentation absolutely. if you convert PPT to flash or video, your
presentation will not be edited easily

Deloresw

Jul 9, 2007, 3:46:01 AM7/9/07
My PowerPoint slideshows as well as Word files are "Read Only" by default.
The only way someone can edit them is if they save the file to another name.
For example, if someone sends you a PowerPoint slideshow or a Word file as an
attachment, look at the top, left hand corner by the file name, and it will
say "Read Only." I hope this helps.
Deloresw

william

Jul 9, 2007, 6:29:52 AM7/9/07
As I know, savin' ppt to pps can't keep your presentations from being
copied. pps files can be opened and edited in PowerPoint by others.
And the Rstrict Permission is complicated and unfriendly for viewers.

I agree the idea that converting ppt files to other formats such as
Flash, which really can't be copied and be easily shared online. You
can search "PPT to SWF":
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&newwindow=1&q=PPT+to+SWF

If you're using PowerPoint 2007, try this search:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=PowerPoint+2007+to+Flash
But as I know, Wondershare PPT2Flash is the only conversion tool which
supports PowerPoint 2007 properly. You may have a try:
http://www.sameshow.com/powerpoint-to-flash.html

allant.

Jul 12, 2007, 4:09:37 AM7/12/07
Hi. Try this.
Open your .ppt presentation for editing.
Select Tools/Options/Security.
Enter a password in the Password to Modify field.
Save your presentation as a .pps file.
The .pps file will run as a slideshow as normal without the need for a password but, if anyone attempts to open it for editing using the Windows Explorer 'New' option they will be prompted to enter your password or open as read-only.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Steve Rindsberg

Jul 12, 2007, 11:09:40 AM7/12/07
In article <20077124925...@fsmail.net>, wrote:
> Hi. Try this.
> Open your .ppt presentation for editing.
> Select Tools/Options/Security.
> Enter a password in the Password to Modify field.
> Save your presentation as a .pps file.
> The .pps file will run as a slideshow as normal without the need for a password but, if anyone attempts to
open it for editing using the Windows Explorer 'New' option they will be prompted to enter your password or
open as read-only.

Seems reasonable, at least on the surface:

When you run the PPS as a slideshow, you can't modify it so there's no reason for PPT to ask for a modify
password.

If you try to open it for editing, then it SHOULD ask for the modify password.

So, that's the surface report. What've I missed underneath? ;-)

Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
PPTools: www.pptools.com

philipmccready

Jul 9, 2008, 7:05:05 PM7/9/08
For higher level copy protection for PowerPoint (e.g. Print Screen image capture, piracy software, virtual machine etc.) have a look at SoftShield (www.softshield.com).

This application converts the .ppt file into a secure format that then has the ability to set and manage viewing rights (by trial period, expiry date, days, minutes or uses). The program also has the ability to collect revenue from online users that trial the PPT material and want to purchase/lease access rights.

Bill Dilworth

Jul 9, 2008, 11:11:06 PM7/9/08

<Philip McCready> wrote in message news:2008791954p...@msn.com...

> For higher level copy protection for PowerPoint (e.g. Print Screen image
> capture, piracy software, virtual machine etc.) have a look at

spiderweb

Nov 2, 2009, 8:05:22 AM11/2/09

Ravenx wrote:

How do I secure my powerpoint presentation from being copied
08-Jul-07

On Sunday, July 08, 2007 6:24 PM
Ravenx wrote:

How do I secure my powerpoint presentation from being copied

On Sunday, July 08, 2007 6:38 PM
TomConra wrote:

Ravenxx,In Office 2003, MS introduced Information Rights Management (IRM).
Ravenxx,

In Office 2003, MS introduced Information Rights Management (IRM).
IRM features can only be accessed after the IRM module is installed.

See the following link, for furhter information
<http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/HA010397891033.aspx>

Permissions are set via, the File menu, permissions, {options}.

I have not used IRM. Perhaps other users in this group can comment.

--
Tom Conrad

===
"Ravenxx" wrote:

On Sunday, July 08, 2007 8:49 PM
Echo S wrote:

On Monday, July 09, 2007 12:20 AM
shark3steven wrote:

On Monday, July 09, 2007 3:46 AM
Delores wrote:

My PowerPoint slideshows as well as Word files are "Read Only" by default.
My PowerPoint slideshows as well as Word files are "Read Only" by default.
The only way someone can edit them is if they save the file to another name.
For example, if someone sends you a PowerPoint slideshow or a Word file as an
attachment, look at the top, left hand corner by the file name, and it will
say "Read Only." I hope this helps.
Deloresw

"Ravenxx" wrote:

On Monday, July 09, 2007 6:29 AM
william wrote:

As I know, savin' ppt to pps can't keep your presentations from beingcopied.
As I know, savin' ppt to pps can't keep your presentations from being
copied. pps files can be opened and edited in PowerPoint by others.
And the Rstrict Permission is complicated and unfriendly for viewers.

I agree the idea that converting ppt files to other formats such as
Flash, which really can't be copied and be easily shared online. You
can search "PPT to SWF":
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&newwindow=1&q=PPT+to+SWF

If you're using PowerPoint 2007, try this search:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=PowerPoint+2007+to+Flash
But as I know, Wondershare PPT2Flash is the only conversion tool which
supports PowerPoint 2007 properly. You may have a try:
http://www.sameshow.com/powerpoint-to-flash.html

On Thursday, July 12, 2007 4:09 AM
Allan T. wrote:

Securing your Powerpoint presentation.

Hi. Try this.
Open your .ppt presentation for editing.
Select Tools/Options/Security.
Enter a password in the Password to Modify field.
Save your presentation as a .pps file.
The .pps file will run as a slideshow as normal without the need for a password but, if anyone attempts to open it for editing using the Windows Explorer 'New' option they will be prompted to enter your password or open as read-only.

On Sunday, July 15, 2007 5:24 AM
Steve Rindsberg wrote:

Re: Securing your Powerpoint presentation.

On Wednesday, July 09, 2008 7:05 PM
Philip McCready wrote:

Securing your Powerpoint presentation
For higher level copy protection for PowerPoint (e.g. Print Screen image capture, piracy software, virtual machine etc.) have a look at SoftShield (www.softshield.com).

This application converts the .ppt file into a secure format that then has the ability to set and manage viewing rights (by trial period, expiry date, days, minutes or uses). The program also has the ability to collect revenue from online users that trial the PPT material and want to purchase/lease access rights.

Object-Relational Mapping as a Persistence Strategy
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/e957c6de-8400-4748-b42d-027f7a228063/objectrelational-mapping.aspx

Echo S

Nov 2, 2009, 8:27:11 AM11/2/09
http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00038.htm will get you started. Lots of ideas
there. PDF, pictures, passwords, Secure Pack, etc.

IRM, as Tom mentioned below, is another option.

Know that if you add a modify password to a PPTX or PPSX file in PowerPoint
2007, PowerPoint 2003 can open and edit the files without supplying the
password.

Ben Oostdam

Sep 12, 2020, 2:55:20 AM9/12/20
Securing a PowerPoint presentation is real easy with the free iSlide PowerPoint add-in.
Just take a look at it and find some great other features as well.
https://islide-powerpoint.com
Message has been deleted

Hill Stone

Nov 29, 2021, 9:10:03 AM11/29/21
Thanks for the interesting and most importantly useful information, now I know how to protect my presentation from being copied. To be honest, it's very difficult for me to make a presentation on my own. I always order it from https://slidepeak.com/pitch-deck-design so it would not be nice if someone copied it and used someone else's work for their own personal purposes. Now I know how to protect myself from this. Thank you again.