PPT opens in slideshow mode in Internet Explorer

Michael Koerner

Nov 21, 2002, 4:59:13 PM11/21/02
Windows Explorer or Internet Explorer do not open PowerPoint presentations.

In Windows Explorer, you double click on the PowerPoint presentation, and it has
a .PPT extension, it will open in the edit mode. If it has a .PPS extension, it
will open in the slideshow mode.

--
<><><>DO NOT POST ATTACHMENTS IN THIS NEWSGROUP<><><>
Michael Koerner [MS PPT MVP]

"Ziad" <zakm...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Is their a setting in Windows Explorer or Internet
Explorer that opens Powerpoint presentations in edit mode
rather than slideshow mode?

Thanks in advance

Ziad

Nov 22, 2002, 8:25:02 AM11/22/02
Thanks for the reply, actually the issue I'm having is in
Internet Explorer, all links to Powerpoint (.PPT) files
are opening in Slideshow mode when we would rather have
them open natively in Powerpoint.

Any idea how to change this behavior in IE?

>.

Michael Koerner

Nov 22, 2002, 9:46:35 AM11/22/02
I really don't understand how your able to open a PowerPoint file, in IE unless
it was originally published as html, and then by default, it opens in the
Outline view, with an option to enter the slide show mode.

Now, if your linking to a PowerPoint file from a web page, it comes up in the
slideshow mode, as editing cannot be done in IE. this as far as I know the
default mode, with no way to change it.

--
<><><>DO NOT POST ATTACHMENTS IN THIS NEWSGROUP<><><>
Michael Koerner [MS PPT MVP]

"Ziad" <zakm...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Susan

Nov 26, 2002, 3:42:18 PM11/26/02
The workaround we use at my workplace is described in the
snippet below:

- - - - - -

Internet Explorer by default uses the system settings on a
PC, so it will recognize all file extensions already used
locally. With most MS Office applications, it will display
the linked files in the Explorer window rather than launch
the file in its native format. If you wish to change this
default, go to the desktop and select My
Computer/Tools/Folder Options.../File Types/Registered
file types:

- MS Powerpoint:
click on Extensions: PPT
click on the Advanced button
unselect the Browse in same window checkbox
click on the OK button
click on the OK button
Note: The native format is always launched as a slide show
rather than a PowerPoint file

- - - - - -

In this case, you'll want to *select* the "Browse in same
window" checkbox so it will display in the browser window.
You can then use the browser menu to manipulate the
powerpoint file. Keep in mind that if you choose to edit
the file, you'll be working on a local copy of the file
(not the original linked-to file) -- a standard browser
behavior.

Good luck,

Susan

>.

Michael Koerner

Nov 26, 2002, 4:28:40 PM11/26/02
Interesting, I have never looked at PowerPoint this way. You might want to ask
your question in the IE Newsgroup. It only seems logical to me that opening in
IE is always going to provide the slideshow mode, as it is not an editor.

--
<><><>DO NOT POST ATTACHMENTS IN THIS NEWSGROUP<><><>
Michael Koerner [MS PPT MVP]

"Susan" <saj...@sandia.gov> wrote in message

Ziad

Nov 29, 2002, 8:33:57 AM11/29/02
Thanks, Susan. That seems to be the only workaround we
have come up with as well.

The general issue our user population has with the
slideshow mode is that it doesn't behave at all similarly
to the other Office applications like Word and Excel which
open the native MS-Word and MS-Excel applications. In
addition, slideshow mode does not provide full PowerPoint
functionality such as printing, editing, etc.

Will post to the IE newsgroup just as an alternative,
thanks.