Expand Slide PPT 2000

Andy

Apr 3, 2001, 3:53:59 PM4/3/01
Anyone know what happened to the "expand slide" feature that used to be
under the tools menu in PPT 97. This used to create new slides with titles
taken from the bullet points on the current slide.

This feature seems to have vanished on PPT 2000, and there seems to be no
mention of it in the help files. Anybody know if it's gone for good (or if
it's merely changed it's name)?

Thanks

Angela

Andy

Apr 3, 2001, 5:42:49 PM4/3/01

Echo S

Apr 3, 2001, 9:42:39 PM4/3/01
It's gone, Angela. Sorry to report that.

If you'd like to see it back, send your wish to msw...@microsoft.com and
tell them why you'd like to see them put that feature into future
versions of PPT.

Echo

Kathy Jacobs

Apr 3, 2001, 10:42:16 PM4/3/01
Expand slide was removed for PPT 2000. However, after this message is a
macro you can create which performs the needed functionality. I got it
from someone on the list back in August, but I can't remember who
(?Shyam or Brian or Steve, I think?). Hope it helps.

Kathy Jacobs
Macro ExpandSlide (To insert this macro, create a macro called
"ExpandSlide" and copy the following code between the Sub... and End...
statements.)
' Enable the error handler.
'
On Error GoTo ErrorHandler

Dim oShape As Shape
Dim i As Long
Dim oSlide As Slide
Dim strTitle As String
Dim lStrLen As Long
Dim lParas As Long
Dim lCurrIndex As Long
Dim lLastSlide As Long
Dim ErrMsg As String

' Check to see if the presentation is in the correct view.
' Raise the custom error message 555.
'
If ActiveWindow.ViewType <> ppViewNormal And ActiveWindow.ViewType _
<> ppViewSlide Then
Err.Raise 555, "Expand Slide Macro", _
"Not in Slide View or Normal View"
End If

With ActiveWindow.Selection
' Set lCurrIndex to the current slide index.
' Set lLastslide to the current slide index.
'
lCurrIndex = .SlideRange.SlideIndex
lLastSlide = lCurrIndex

' Check each shape of the current slide; check to
' see if it is a Body placeholder.
'
For Each oShape In .SlideRange.Shapes
If oShape.PlaceholderFormat.Type = ppPlaceholderBody Then

' Set lParas to the number of paragraphs in the
' Body placeholder. Does not differentiate between
' first level bullets and lower level bullets.
'
lParas = oShape.TextFrame.TextRange.Paragraphs.Count

For i = 1 To lParas

' Set strTitle to the current paragraph index.
'
strTitle = oShape.TextFrame.TextRange.Paragraphs(i).Text

' Determine how long the string is. Then, as long as
' it is not the last parapgraph in the Body placeholder,
' strip off the last two characters, the line feed and
' carriage return.
'
lStrLen = Len(strTitle)
If lParas <> i Then
strTitle = Left(strTitle, lStrLen - 2)
End If

' Set lLastSlide to the next available index position.
' Create a news slide, with the Bulleted Text layout.
' Assign the text from the current paragraph to the
' title placeholder. Return to the original slide.
'
lLastSlide = lLastSlide + 1
Set oSlide = _
ActivePresentation.Slides.Add(lLastSlide, ppLayoutText)
oSlide.Shapes(1).TextFrame.TextRange.Text = strTitle
ActiveWindow.View.GotoSlide (lCurrIndex)
Next i
End If
Next
End With
Exit Sub
ErrorHandler:
' Create Error message and raise dialog with error message.
'
ErrMsg = "Error:" & Err.Source & vbNewLine & Err.Description
MsgBox ErrMsg, vbCritical, "Error Message"

Andy wrote:

--
Kathryn Jacobs, BrainBench MVP MS PowerPoint
Get Certified at http://www.brainbench.com

Shyam Pillai

Apr 3, 2001, 10:21:27 PM4/3/01
Angela,
If you have fair knowledge of macros, MS has put a watered down VBA example
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q240/1/89.ASP.

Merely edit the KBase example to incorporate the level differentiation using
the IndentLevel property. Something like this:

if (oShape.TextFrame.TextRange.Paragraphs(I).IndentLevel) = 1 then

'Add a new slide

end if

IndentLevel property returns or sets the indent level for the specified text
as an integer from 1 to 5, where 1 indicates a first-level paragraph with no
indentation

--
Regards
Shyam Pillai

http://www.mvps.org/skp

Try Image Importer Wizard
http://www.mvps.org/skp/iiw.htm

"Echo S" <ec...@indy.net> wrote in message

Kedamono

Apr 3, 2001, 10:35:46 PM4/3/01
In article <3ACA8D95...@jacobs.coxatwork.com>, Kathy Jacobs
<jaco...@jacobs.coxatwork.com> wrote:

> Expand slide was removed for PPT 2000. However, after this message is a
> macro you can create which performs the needed functionality. I got it
> from someone on the list back in August, but I can't remember who
> (?Shyam or Brian or Steve, I think?). Hope it helps.
>
> Kathy Jacobs
> Macro ExpandSlide (To insert this macro, create a macro called
> "ExpandSlide" and copy the following code between the Sub... and End...
> statements.)

It's from a MS KB article: Q240189 PPT2000: Sample Code to Expand Slides

Giving credit where credit is due. Some poor MS slob must have spent
days coding this... I probably would have done it in a couple of hours
meself...

--
The Kedamono Dragon | xrqn...@pbapragevp.arg | xrqn...@nugt.pbz
Visit my Bryce art page: http://www.concentric.net/~kedamono

Andy

Apr 4, 2001, 3:01:45 AM4/4/01
Thanks all,

I'll give the macros a try, but at least you've stopped me searching through
the menus thinking "it must be here somewhere!"

Ange

"Kedamono" <xrqn...@pbapragevp.arg> wrote in message

Michael Koerner

Apr 4, 2001, 8:16:53 AM4/4/01
When your good your good. when you brag about it your an idiot.

Steve Rindsberg

Apr 4, 2001, 10:33:00 AM4/4/01
> macro you can create which performs the needed functionality. I got it
> from someone on the list back in August, but I can't remember who
> (?Shyam or Brian or Steve, I think

Credit (and/or blame) where due: that would have come from MSDN, I think.