sync PIM to PC

Linea Recta

Mar 19, 2011, 5:38:24 PM3/19/11
Since my PIM data in WM2003SE got messed up, I thought that clearing the
contents was enough, before a resync with my PIM (EssentialPIM) on PC.
But... it seems my PC got synced to the (empty) PPC, instead of the other
way round, leaving them both empty now!

Is there any way to achieve what I want (without a hard PPC reset)?

--
regards,

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

mike

Mar 19, 2011, 10:42:21 PM3/19/11
Linea Recta wrote:
> Since my PIM data in WM2003SE got messed up, I thought that clearing the
> contents was enough, before a resync with my PIM (EssentialPIM) on PC.
> But... it seems my PC got synced to the (empty) PPC, instead of the other
> way round, leaving them both empty now!
>
> Is there any way to achieve what I want (without a hard PPC reset)?

Restore the synchronization file from a recent PC backup.

Todd Allcock

Mar 20, 2011, 1:17:59 AM3/20/11

Yep, unless your PC PIM app has a "trash can."

I'm not familiar with Essential PIM, but last time I made that same
mistake (erasing the PPC data thinking it'd "refresh" at next sync!) I
was using Outlook, so I just had to pull the data out of Outlook's
"Deleted Items" folder and back into my Contacts and Calendar and resync.

For next time, the proper way to accomplish what you wanted to do was
delete the partnership between the PC and PPC. At next sync, you'd re-
partner them and select "replace" rather than "merge" data on the device
when prompted.

Linea Recta

Mar 20, 2011, 7:11:22 AM3/20/11
"Todd Allcock" <elecc...@AnoOspamL.com> schreef in bericht

> At 19 Mar 2011 19:42:21 -0700 mike wrote:
>> Linea Recta wrote:
>> > Since my PIM data in WM2003SE got messed up, I thought that clearing
> the contents was enough, before a resync with my PIM (EssentialPIM) on PC.
>> > But... it seems my PC got synced to the (empty) PPC, instead of the
> other way round, leaving them both empty now!
>> >
>> > Is there any way to achieve what I want (without a hard PPC reset)?
>> >

>> Restore the synchronization file from a recent PC backup.
>

> Yep, unless your PC PIM app has a "trash can."
>
> I'm not familiar with Essential PIM, but last time I made that same
> mistake (erasing the PPC data thinking it'd "refresh" at next sync!) I
> was using Outlook, so I just had to pull the data out of Outlook's
> "Deleted Items" folder and back into my Contacts and Calendar and resync.

That isn't the problem, ofcourse I have backups of the data on PC. But
everytime the same thing happens. Don't know how to get the data on PPC.
In theory... it would be handy if there was such a thing as "one way sync"
option, but I suppose this only exist in my imagination...

> For next time, the proper way to accomplish what you wanted to do was
> delete the partnership between the PC and PPC. At next sync, you'd re-
> partner them and select "replace" rather than "merge" data on the device
> when prompted.

I'll have a go at that then and start fiddling with partnership.

Linea Recta

Mar 20, 2011, 8:10:10 AM3/20/11
"Todd Allcock" <elecc...@AnoOspamL.com> schreef in bericht

Before making attempts, look what I found:

"If you have a Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition or earlier device you will
not be able to change the settings or delete partnerships on your device.
To delete partnerships in this case, I suggest that you consider a hard
reset. However with a hard reset you will lose all the data on your
device."

http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/faqs/activesync/partnerships.htm

Bad news...

Todd Allcock

Mar 20, 2011, 4:37:27 PM3/20/11
At 20 Mar 2011 13:10:10 +0100 Linea Recta wrote:
> "Todd Allcock" <elecc...@AnoOspamL.com> schreef in bericht news:im42mu
$bvi$2...@news.eternal-september.org...

> > I'm not familiar with Essential PIM, but last time I made that same

> > mistake (erasing the PPC data thinking it'd "refresh" at next sync!) I
> > was using Outlook, so I just had to pull the data out of Outlook's
> > "Deleted Items" folder and back into my Contacts and Calendar and
resync.

> > For next time, the proper way to accomplish what you wanted to do was
> > delete the partnership between the PC and PPC. At next sync, you'd
re-
> > partner them and select "replace" rather than "merge" data on the
device
> > when prompted.
> >

> Before making attempts, look what I found:
>
> "If you have a Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition or earlier device you
> will not be able to change the settings or delete partnerships on your
> device. To delete partnerships in this case, I suggest that you
> consider a hard reset. However with a hard reset you will lose all the
> data on your device."
>
> http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/faqs/activesync/partnerships.htm
>
> Bad news...

Not really a problem- you just delete the partnership in Activesync on
the PC, then plug the device in. It should then prompt you to create a
new partnership. The only catch I remember, is that the new partnership
must have a different name than the old (IIRC, a bug in Activesync showed
the just deleted partnership as still in use since the connected device
still had it when first connected.)

In any case, you shouldn't need to do this now- you already deleted the
PIM data- now you just need too move it back to Essential PIM and resync.

Todd Allcock

Mar 20, 2011, 4:44:47 PM3/20/11
At 20 Mar 2011 12:11:22 +0100 Linea Recta wrote:
> "Todd Allcock" <elecc...@AnoOspamL.com> schreef in bericht news:im42mu
$bvi$2...@news.eternal-september.org...
> > the contents was enough, before a resync with my PIM (EssentialPIM)
on PC.
> > other way round, leaving them both empty now!

> >> Restore the synchronization file from a recent PC backup.
> >

> > Yep, unless your PC PIM app has a "trash can."
> >
> > I'm not familiar with Essential PIM, but last time I made that same
> > mistake (erasing the PPC data thinking it'd "refresh" at next sync!) I
> > was using Outlook, so I just had to pull the data out of Outlook's
> > "Deleted Items" folder and back into my Contacts and Calendar and
resync.

> That isn't the problem, ofcourse I have backups of the data on PC. But
> everytime the same thing happens. Don't know how to get the data on PPC.

That's between you and Essential PIM, unfortunately. By default, PPCs
only sync with Outlook. A brief look at EPIM's site says you need a
"Pro" version to sync with PPCs.

Having said that, there's another option- you could try Google Mobile
Sync as an intermediary. EPIM claims it syncs with Google's cloud, then
you set up a cloud sync on the device, by adding Google as an Exchange
Server in Activesync (on the device.) server name is m.google.com,
username is your entire GMail address, and domain is "google" (lowercase,
no quotes.)

> In theory... it would be handy if there was such a thing as "one way
> sync" option, but I suppose this only exist in my imagination...

It exists in Funambol, a third-party sync app I used to use. AOL uses it
for their free "AOL Sync" cloud sync product (which EPIM is also
compatible with.)

Linea Recta

Mar 23, 2011, 1:25:05 PM3/23/11

> At 20 Mar 2011 12:11:22 +0100 Linea Recta wrote:
>> "Todd Allcock" <elecc...@AnoOspamL.com> schreef in bericht news:im42mu
> $bvi$2...@news.eternal-september.org...
> clearing
>> > the contents was enough, before a resync with my PIM (EssentialPIM)
> on PC.
>> > other way round, leaving them both empty now!

>> > Yep, unless your PC PIM app has a "trash can."
>> >
>> > I'm not familiar with Essential PIM, but last time I made that same
>> > mistake (erasing the PPC data thinking it'd "refresh" at next sync!) I
>> > was using Outlook, so I just had to pull the data out of Outlook's
>> > "Deleted Items" folder and back into my Contacts and Calendar and
> resync.
>>

>> That isn't the problem, ofcourse I have backups of the data on PC. But
>> everytime the same thing happens. Don't know how to get the data on PPC.
>
> That's between you and Essential PIM, unfortunately. By default, PPCs
> only sync with Outlook. A brief look at EPIM's site says you need a
> "Pro" version to sync with PPCs.

My version op essentialpim (3.74) syncs with my PPC, as I have been doing
succesfully before I had problems.
It also seems to sync with Outlook, but I don't use Outlook. The very reason
I use essentialpim is because I hate Outlook.

> Having said that, there's another option- you could try Google Mobile
> Sync as an intermediary. EPIM claims it syncs with Google's cloud, then
> you set up a cloud sync on the device, by adding Google as an Exchange
> Server in Activesync (on the device.) server name is m.google.com,
> username is your entire GMail address, and domain is "google" (lowercase,
> no quotes.)
>
>> In theory... it would be handy if there was such a thing as "one way
>> sync" option, but I suppose this only exist in my imagination...
>
> It exists in Funambol, a third-party sync app I used to use. AOL uses it
> for their free "AOL Sync" cloud sync product (which EPIM is also
> compatible with.)

Perhaps I'll check out the above when I have time again. I have no
experience with those services.
Anyway, today I worked on your suggestion from your other reply, removing
the partnership from PC and making a new one. After this I tried an
essentialpim sync again, but to no avail. The same effect over and over
again: it keeps emptying my PC instead of filling my PPC... :-((

sh1...@gmail.com

Apr 28, 2013, 6:00:43 PM4/28/13
I'm not sure about your device, but mine allows me (in the settings) to pick either to always update the device from the PC, or the PC from the device, or to select the latest file (based on date & time) to be considered as the new one regardless of what device it is on (the phone/PPC, or the computer).

I hope you have something similar in your device, or ActiveSync.