LiveSearch requires Bing update my phone can't support

M Skabialka

Aug 2, 2010, 11:40:12 AM8/2/10
I have an almost 2 year old phone with Windows Mobile 6.1
A few days ago I went to use LiveSearch and got a message that there is an
update from Bing, do I want to install it? No matter whether I choose Yes
or No, the message does not go away so LiveSearch is unusable.
I went to the Bing download site and downloaded the installation file but it
could not install because my phone's resolution is too low.
I tried using the m.bing.com website that was suggested as an alternative
but it doesn't give me the instant results I was getting from LiveSearch,
where I set a default location and could type in the name of any kind of
local business and it would find it immediately, and I could then click the
phone number link to call them. I have used that feature many times.

Apparently Microsoft is abandoning its customers again and giving me yet one
more reason to get an Android phone when my contract runs out, and not wait
for Windows Phone 7, which doesn't have copy/paste anyway - another feature
I use a lot.

Todd Allcock

Aug 3, 2010, 1:28:43 AM8/3/10
At 02 Aug 2010 10:40:12 -0500 M Skabialka wrote:
> I have an almost 2 year old phone with Windows Mobile 6.1
> A few days ago I went to use LiveSearch and got a message that there is
> an update from Bing, do I want to install it? No matter whether I
> choose Yes or No, the message does not go away so LiveSearch is unusable.

I have the last "low-res" version of Bing on one of my phones, and it, too,
is behaving like yours. I checked the Bing Mobile download page and all
old low-res versions have been removed. (There used to be a link to
older versions- now it's gone.) I guess the older Bing Mobile/Live
Search app is dead.

> I went to the Bing download site and downloaded the installation file
> but it could not install because my phone's resolution is too low.
> I tried using the m.bing.com website that was suggested as an
> alternative but it doesn't give me the instant results I was getting
> from LiveSearch, where I set a default location and could type in the
> name of any kind of local business and it would find it immediately,
> and I could then click the phone number link to call them. I have used
> that feature many times.

Yeah, m.bing.com is certainly no substitute for the Bing Mobile app.

Google Maps, while not quite as functional as Bing should work just fine
on your device.

M Skabialka

Aug 3, 2010, 10:06:44 AM8/3/10
Google maps is OK if you want a map. But with LiveSearch if I wanted e.g.
furniture I just typed that in and I'd get a list of one liners of local
furniture stores. I could then select one and decide if I needed more info.
From there I'd get the address, phone number and a map. With the m.bing I
get some sponsored ads, then two multiline entries with a URL, then I have
to go to the next page to see more. So instead of 10 or 15 entries I'm
getting 2. How is that an improvement?
Also, Internet Explorer is so much slower than LiveSearch which seemed to
come up with results almost immediately, while IE takes minutes to return
results on one page then you have to load another.
Where's the gas price list? On Bing I still haven't found a site that lists
the local gas stations each on one line then lets you highlight to expand
the entry and see the prices. I'll really miss this application (LiveSearch)
and would have paid for it to stay.

"Todd Allcock" <elecc...@AnoOspamL.com> wrote in message

Todd Allcock

Aug 3, 2010, 11:11:43 PM8/3/10
At 03 Aug 2010 09:06:44 -0500 M Skabialka wrote:
> Google maps is OK if you want a map. But with LiveSearch if I wanted
> e.g. furniture I just typed that in and I'd get a list of one liners of
> local furniture stores. I could then select one and decide if I needed
> more info. From there I'd get the address, phone number and a map.

Google Maps does essentially the same thing as Bing. Once it knows your
location, you tap "Search," type "Furniture" (or whatever) and get a
bunch of push pins pop up on the map that you can select from, or tap
"List" to get a list. (The big difference between Google and Bing is
Bing brought up the list first, and required you to tap "Map All" to get
a map- Google brings up a map first, and makes you tap for a list.)

> With
> the m.bing I get some sponsored ads, then two multiline entries with a
> URL, then I have to go to the next page to see more. So instead of 10
> or 15 entries I'm getting 2. How is that an improvement?

It's not- the "improvement" (supposedly) is the new Bing app which
doesn't run on QVGA phones. I assume MS decided it's easier/cheaper to
cut older phone users loose than recode the new Bing app for low-res
displays.

> Also, Internet Explorer is so much slower than LiveSearch which seemed
> to come up with results almost immediately, while IE takes minutes to
> return results on one page then you have to load another.

Yep.

> Where's the gas price list? On Bing I still haven't found a site that
> lists the local gas stations each on one line then lets you highlight
> to expand the entry and see the prices. I'll really miss this
> application (LiveSearch) and would have paid for it to stay.

Agreed. Gas Prices was invaluable when traveling in unfamiliar areas.
If it's any consolation, the new Bing app got rid of the Gas Prices
applet completely. Searching for gas now just brings up the 25 closest
stations, without any price info.