WMDC Just doesn't work at all for me. Can anyone help me?

Brian Richards

Feb 7, 2007, 5:00:09 PM2/7/07
I have an upgrade instal of Vista Ultimate. I upgraded fro XP PRO where I
originally had activesync 3.8.

My device is an Audiovox SMT5600. It is set up to sync with Exchange server
as well as with this computer.

Originally when I installed the WMDC RTM I did it by following the
instructions on the download page. I plugged in the device, then ran the
install.

Right away this failed. It originally said theat it couldn't install the
driver for the Windows Mobile Device. After that first install, in the
Device Manager it showed 2 devices. One was and is called "Mobile
Devices->SmartPhone USB Sync" and the other was called I think "Portable
Devices->Uknown Portable Device". The second one I'm trying to remember
because it's not there anymore. The Portable device one ALWAYS showed an
Exclamation and listed a Code 10 that it wasn't working, dirver couldn't be
loaded, etc.

From the VERY FIRST installation, the actual WMDC program listed in the
Start Menu would not and will not open. When I click it, the mouse working
icon spins once then nothing happens. No error, nothing in the event log
that I can see. It just ignores me basically. This happens with or without
the phone plugged in. the program has never run even once. It doesn't ask me
to configure the phone, etc.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the software about a dozen times and
eventually, the portable device driver message went away, and now at least
when I plug the phone in the device manager LOOKS clean.

Can someone please tell me how the heck to get this stupid program to work?

I saw a post earlier in this news group that explained how to use a
"wmdc.exe.config" etc files with XML in them to create log files but this
causes an error mssage when clicking on WMDC which at least is something
new.

Steve Spiller [MSFT]

Feb 7, 2007, 5:35:12 PM2/7/07
What's the error you get after creating the wmdc.exe.config file? If you
rename the file so it has the .xml extension, will it load correctly in IE?
It may just be an XML parsing error...

Although based on your description of the banged-out portable device in the
device manager, i think the wmdc logs would just confirm that the device
object isn't working correctly.

Do you have any RapiMgr or WcesComm entries in your system Event Log? If
so, what are they?

--
Thanks,
Steve

Gary Waliczek [MSFT]

Feb 7, 2007, 5:41:48 PM2/7/07
Because you are having install problems, you need the device installer log
files to look for the error. What you need is in the \Windows\inf directory
and is called setupapi.dev.log. You can zip it up and post it and I'll take
a look or - if you're brave - you can search for !! from the bottom of that
file going up and see if you can figure out what went wrong in the device
installer.

"Brian Richards" <br...@richardsit.com> wrote in message

Brian Richards

Feb 7, 2007, 6:21:57 PM2/7/07

OK, I fixed the XML thing. I had erroneously copied the "----" lines into the file. Now I don't get an error message. I also do not get the %TEMP%\WMDC.LOG or %TEMP%\WMDHOST.LOG files after reboot or after clicking the WMDC icon in START.

> Although based on your description of the banged-out portable device in the
> device manager, i think the wmdc logs would just confirm that the device
> object isn't working correctly.
>
> Do you have any RapiMgr or WcesComm entries in your system Event Log?  If
> so, what are they?

For WCESCOMM, all I can find is instances of informational items like:

DCOM  started the service WcesComm with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{373E19B5-76AA-46D5-93A9-2E39A99B39B2}

Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service WcesComm for Device Instance ID WINDOWSMOBILEDRIVERINSTALLER\UMB\2&26A98E85&9&{4746138A-EFDF-4DFE-A5C4-98FE2F407630} with the following status: 0.

Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service WcesComm for Device Instance ID USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0A51\5&269A58E2&0&3 with the following status: 0.

For Rapimgr, I see some informationl items like:

DCOM started the service RapiMgr with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{ED081F25-6A77-4C89-B689-C6E15C582EC1}

And an error:

Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
Date:          2/7/2007 2:06:06 PM
Event ID:      10005
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service RapiMgr with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{ED081F25-6A77-4C89-B689-C6E15C582EC1}

Brian Richards

Feb 7, 2007, 6:29:19 PM2/7/07
file forwarded.

Thanks.

"Gary Waliczek [MSFT]" <gar...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Gary Waliczek [MSFT]

Feb 9, 2007, 9:16:43 AM2/9/07
Unfortunately, the only thing I can find out from the install log is that
the device is having problems connecting. When you hit these problems does
the ActiveSync application on the device say connected?

"Brian Richards" <br...@richardsit.com> wrote in message

Brian Richards

Feb 9, 2007, 12:30:43 PM2/9/07
I don't think so.

It reports an error "Synchronization cancelled by user."

It allows me access to the "Options" menu on the phone which normally isn't
accessible when connected to activesync as I recall.

"Gary Waliczek [MSFT]" <gar...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Brian Richards

Feb 9, 2007, 12:57:31 PM2/9/07
The device is able to charge from usb no problem.

Also, is the WMDC program itself normally able to open up without a device
installed?

"Brian Richards" <br...@richardsit.com> wrote in message

Gary Waliczek [MSFT]

Feb 9, 2007, 2:28:18 PM2/9/07
WMDC is able to open with no device. The easiest way to tell if the device
thinks its connected is that the device Activesync app should turn green
when connected and the spinner should be grey when disconnected.

"Brian Richards" <br...@richardsit.com> wrote in message

Brian Richards

Feb 9, 2007, 5:07:31 PM2/9/07
WMDC will not open with or without a device.

Maybe you are thinking of wm5 devices for the icons? On my SMT5600 it has
WM2003SE. The icon for the program is amulticolor circle with green, red,
yellow, and blue around the outside and a black cicle in the middle with
whit arrows.

No icons appear inside the program itself. The only way to tell whetehr it's
connected to a computer or not is that certain options items on the menu
tuen grey when it's connected.

"Gary Waliczek [MSFT]" <gar...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Brian Richards

Feb 12, 2007, 4:13:37 AM2/12/07
I figured out a way to make the stupid thing give an error code. Although
the error seems like a blank to me.

I can make it throw an error if I go into Network and Sharing Center and
click on the Windows Mobile Device Center link in the bottom left area.

The error is:
Faulting application wmdc.exe, version 6.0.6783.0, time stamp 0x45b7b290,
faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x00000000, exception
code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00000000, process id 0x14ec, application
start time 0x01c74e85a9095172.

Brian Richards

Gary Waliczek [MSFT]

Feb 14, 2007, 5:16:38 PM2/14/07
I tend to know more about the lower level rather than the UI parts, but I've
heard this kind of behaviour can happen if you had a beta version and
installed RTM on top of it. Can you uninstall WMDC from control panel and
re-download/install it and see if that helps?

"Brian Richards" <br...@richardsit.com> wrote in message

Brian Richards

Feb 15, 2007, 2:05:31 AM2/15/07
I have uninstalled, re-downloaded it, and re-installed about 5 times.

I never had a beta of Vista or WMDC on this machine. Just went from XP (with
ActiveSync 3.8) to Vista then installed WMDC.

I'll reinstall it again right now, but not too hopeful.

"Gary Waliczek [MSFT]" <gar...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Brian Richards

Feb 15, 2007, 2:44:46 AM2/15/07
Yeah, reinstalled it again, no change.

IS there some system process that exists that might be actively blocking the
msdc.exe process?

I mean the way it just does absolutely nothing when I try to run it is
pretty odd. You would think it would at least make the log requested by the
.config file or have an error message ir do SOMETHING.

It seems to me like some other process is blocking it actively.

"Brian Richards" <br...@richardsit.com> wrote in message

BR

Feb 28, 2007, 5:11:12 AM2/28/07
Come on Microsoft guys.

This WMDC software still doesn't work at all for some of us based on a few
of the threads in this newsgroup.

Have you solved it yet? I mean a software that leaves no error log and just
doesn't open?

Abdulkadar [MSFT]

Feb 28, 2007, 11:59:29 AM2/28/07

I think you are running into the same problem as experienced by one of the
users earlier. Posting this resolution from that thread.
Try it out and see if it helps.
It sounds like your problem is a result of some of the older Beta versions
of WMDC interfering with the operation of the released version.

Can you look in Task Manager and tell me how much memory the wmdc.exe
process is taking up? If it's something small like 2 - 3MB, then the
"managed" portion of the process is failing to load. If everything is
working properly, the wmdc.exe process should have a memory footprint of
around 20 - 30MB (or larger). If your wmdc.exe process is only around 2 -
3MB in memory, please try the following workaround and see if it solves your
problem.

1. Open the registry editor (Run->Regedit)
2. Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID.
3. Completely delete the key titled,
"{3B5AA27A-CBF9-48C9-96F8-4ACE84FB8512}"
4. Open the Vista Control Panel and launch the 'Programs' applet.
5. Click the 'Uninstall a Program' link.
6. Find 'Windows Mobile Device Center' in the list of installed programs and
rigth-click it.
7. Select the 'Repair' option.
8. Reboot the PC just to be safe. :)
9. Connect your device and attempt to launch WMDC.

Let me know how this goes for you.

--
Christian Carroll [MSFT]
Thanks,

"BR" <br...@nospam.richardsit.com> wrote in message

BR

Feb 28, 2007, 10:57:00 PM2/28/07
1. Never had a beta of this program installed.

2. The program doesn't load into memory at all. It has no memory footprint.
When it's clicked on the mouse pointer spins for a second then nothing.

3. That registry key mentioned doesn't exist anywhere in the registry.

4. I've uninstalled and reinstalled repeatedly.

"Abdulkadar [MSFT]" <abd...@microsoft.com> wrote in message

sha...@gmail.com

Mar 8, 2007, 4:06:07 PM3/8/07
On Feb 28, 10:57 pm, "BR" <b...@nospam.richardsit.com> wrote:
> 1. Never had a beta of this program installed.
>
> 2. The program doesn't load into memory at all. It has no memory footprint.
> When it's clicked on the mouse pointer spins for a second then nothing.
>
> 3. That registry key mentioned doesn't exist anywhere in the registry.
>
> 4. I've uninstalled and reinstalled repeatedly.
>
> "Abdulkadar [MSFT]" <abdu...@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > "BR" <b...@nospam.richardsit.com> wrote in message

> >> Come on Microsoft guys.
>
> >> This WMDC software still doesn't work at all for some of us based on a
> >> few of the threads in this newsgroup.
>
> >> Have you solved it yet? I mean a software that leaves no error log and
> >> just doesn't open?

I wonder if you guys ever sorted this out. I have exactly the same
problem. However, for a different reason, I had to reformat my hard
drive and reinstall vista home premium, and WMDC worked fine with my
Audiovox SMT5600. Until then I had the same problem you all are
discussing here. But, then, my computer crashed again and had to do
another reinstall, and this time WMDC stopped working. Although the
phone shows that it is connected, the WMDC shows it is not connected,
and in device manager there is error code 10 with an exclamation mark
next to the mobile device. The only difference between these
reinstalls that I can think of is that the second time when it did
work I had not yet transferred any programs from my old XP machine
which had Activesync installed on it. I suspect that when your old
programs get transferred, ActiveSync also gets transfered although it
is not listed in the program list (however it is listed in startup
programs under "msconfig"), you do get an error about activesync. This
activesync leftover somehow may be causing the problem we are
discussing here.

Any thoughts, this is driving me insane!

PJPG

Mar 9, 2007, 7:09:13 AM3/9/07
I've not had any luck resolving this. (My thread is farther down.)

After my thread got stale, I did submit a case via e-mail to Microsoft, but
after sending them the files they asked for it now appears that they may
have stopped writing back.

I've been hunting around some more, and I would be curious what you might
have in your registry for
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{ED081F25-6A77-4C89-B689-C6E15C582EC1}

Do you have a sub-key for InprocServer32?

I don't, and at first glance it seems strange not to.

Thanks,
.pjpg

<sha...@gmail.com> wrote in message

PJPG

Mar 9, 2007, 7:40:06 PM3/9/07
Well I'm impressed.

I've done some experimenting with the registry key
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{ED081F25-6A77-4C89-B689-C6E15C582EC1} and I got
Windows Mobile Device Manager to work.

I think there is an order to the solution that I'm not 100% sure of, but it
involves fixing the missing sub-key and then reinstalling the device - I
think. Well I'm not sure what the correct order is because my first few
experiments didn't work and now that it is working I'm not going to mess
with it any more.

.pjpg

"PJPG" <n...@home.today> wrote in message

wmpierro

Mar 10, 2007, 10:04:21 AM3/10/07
I have a XV6700 Pocket PC from Verizon that syncs perfectly If
connected with Windows XP pro and Active Sync 4.5. This is even in a
Small Business Server 2003 domain. There are no issues or errors when
the device syncs through the USB cable to the cradle.
I upgraded a different PC from a clean install of XP pro SP2 to Vista
business edition. I never installed active sync or connected the phone
to this new PC. I installed the new Windows Mobile Device Center ver.6
and downloaded and installed the device drivers. I plugged in the USB
cable, WMDC recognised my phone, the drivers install sucessfully and
the connected checkmark appeared. I proceeded to set up a partnership
to sync with Outlook 2007 contacts,calendar and notes through the USB
cable and skipped the part where it wanted to connect to my Exchange
server. Everything was fine until it tried to sync. I keep getting an
error about a problem with the desktop and something about not being
able to log in to the domain.
This is completely unacceptable to me as a business owner that depends
on this for communication with my customers.
Microsoft should have never released this software without thourough
testing.
I am connecting my phone back to the XP machine.

Warren M Pierro
Professional Computer Services

cameadows

Jun 1, 2007, 8:16:00 PM6/1/07
Did this ever get fixed? I have the same problem and posted elsewhere to no
avail.

Abdulkadar Khambati [MSFT]

Jun 4, 2007, 12:59:56 PM6/4/07

Can you try the following steps and see if they work for you?

1. Delete the Vista partnership on the device.
2. Repair just the outlook profile or outlook on the desktop.
3. Reboot the machine.
4. Open outlook with the profile you want to sync with.
5. Connect the device and set up a new partnership.

Thanks,
Abdulkadar [MSFT]

"cameadows" <came...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message