no connection with active sync

Wolfgang Wienke

Jan 2, 2012, 5:02:21 PM1/2/12
Hi!
I cannot get a connection between Windows XP SP3 active sync 4.5 and a
pda with windows mobile V5.1.195
It worked a long time, I do not know what carshesd it.
I did a repair installation of active sync.
I can see the network connection, ping works from PDA to PC and from PC
to PDA.
There is only the windows firewall working.
What can I do?
--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen

Wolfgang Wienke

Todd Allcock

Jan 2, 2012, 5:30:39 PM1/2/12
At 02 Jan 2012 23:02:21 +0100 Wolfgang Wienke wrote:
> Hi!
> I cannot get a connection between Windows XP SP3 active sync 4.5 and a
pda with windows mobile V5.1.195
> It worked a long time, I do not know what carshesd it.
> I did a repair installation of active sync.
> I can see the network connection, ping works from PDA to PC and from PC
to PDA.
> There is only the windows firewall working.
> What can I do?

Soft reset the device, if you haven't already, then try again. If it
still doesn't connect, try removing the device in the PC's device manager
(set it to show hidden devices so it will show unconnected devices and
delete it) then plug in the device hoping it will reinstall.

If that doesn't work, look for an applet on the device in
Settings/Connections called "USB-to-PC" and in it, uncheck "Enable
Advanced Network Functionality" which will make the device connect in
serial-over-USB mode rather than as a network adapter. That syncs a
little slower, but is typically more reliable connecting.

Wolfgang Wienke

Jan 5, 2012, 2:51:59 PM1/5/12
Hi!
Am 02.01.2012 23:30, schrieb Todd Allcock:
> At 02 Jan 2012 23:02:21 +0100 Wolfgang Wienke wrote:
>> Hi!
>> I cannot get a connection between Windows XP SP3 active sync 4.5 and a
> pda with windows mobile V5.1.195
>> It worked a long time, I do not know what carshesd it.
>> I did a repair installation of active sync.
>> I can see the network connection, ping works from PDA to PC and from PC
> to PDA.
>> There is only the windows firewall working.
>> What can I do?
>

> Soft reset the device, if you haven't already, then try again. If it
> still doesn't connect, try removing the device in the PC's device manager
> (set it to show hidden devices so it will show unconnected devices and
> delete it) then plug in the device hoping it will reinstall.

Thank you, for the hints but this did not work. I cannot deinstall the
"device-network card" because it's "necessary for the boot of the PC".
Deactivation did not work.

> If that doesn't work, look for an applet on the device in
> Settings/Connections called "USB-to-PC" and in it, uncheck "Enable
> Advanced Network Functionality" which will make the device connect in
> serial-over-USB mode rather than as a network adapter. That syncs a
> little slower, but is typically more reliable connecting.
I do not have such an applet (FSC N560).

Todd Allcock

Jan 6, 2012, 11:16:20 PM1/6/12
At 05 Jan 2012 20:51:59 +0100 Wolfgang Wienke wrote:
> Hi!
> Am 02.01.2012 23:30, schrieb Todd Allcock:
> > At 02 Jan 2012 23:02:21 +0100 Wolfgang Wienke wrote:
> >> Hi!
> >> I cannot get a connection between Windows XP SP3 active sync 4.5 and
> > pda with windows mobile V5.1.195
> >> It worked a long time, I do not know what carshesd it.
> >> I did a repair installation of active sync.
> >> I can see the network connection, ping works from PDA to PC and from
PC
> > to PDA.
> >> There is only the windows firewall working.
> >> What can I do?
> >

> > Soft reset the device, if you haven't already, then try again. If it
> > still doesn't connect, try removing the device in the PC's device
manager
> > (set it to show hidden devices so it will show unconnected devices and
> > delete it) then plug in the device hoping it will reinstall.
> >
> Thank you, for the hints but this did not work. I cannot deinstall the
> "device-network card" because it's "necessary for the boot of the PC".
> Deactivation did not work.

I don't think that's the correct device you're trying to uninstall. I
skipped an important step- I did this so long ago I had forgotten the
preparation, but Google to the rescue!

First you need to enable showing disconnected devices in Device Manager,
which by default only shows hardware currently connected.

Open a Command window (click the Start button in XP, select Run and type
"cmd"), type "set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1", enter, type
"devmgmt.msc", enter, and leave the window open until you're done with
the following. Open Device Manager and select Show Hidden Devices. Now
your device should be present under "Portable Devices". Uninstall that
device, then close Device Manager, the Command window, and then try
reconnecting.

You mentioned you did a repair install of Activesync. You might try a
complete uninstall followed by a reinstall if the above suggestion
doesn't help.

> > If that doesn't work, look for an applet on the device in
> > Settings/Connections called "USB-to-PC" and in it, uncheck "Enable
> > Advanced Network Functionality" which will make the device connect in
> > serial-over-USB mode rather than as a network adapter. That syncs a
> > little slower, but is typically more reliable connecting.
>
> I do not have such an applet (FSC N560).

Sorry, I was hoping that wasn't the case. WM5 changed the USB connection
method from the older "Pocket PC" serial-over-USB connection to the new
RNDIS network adapter method. So many people had problems connecting, MS
added a control applet to switch back in later WM5 releases and in WM6.x.
I was hoping your device had it, but apparently not.

If all of the above fails, I really don't have any other suggestions,
other than trying Bluetooth or Infrared sync, depending on what your
device supports, with the appropriate dongle on your PC, or to try and
cope without desktop sync.

Personally, I abandoned desktop sync long ago- about three years ago, and
sync everything over-the-air, though the apps, services, and tools I've
used have changed over time. Currently, I sync Outlook data using
Exchange Activesync (the wireless form of Activesync) using a Microsoft
Live/Hotmail account as an Exchange server on the device, synced with
Outlook via the MS Outlook Connector plug-in (requires Outlook 2003 and
up). This also has the advantage of keeping multiple PCs and devices
using Outlook all in sync, (my desktop, my laptop, a netbook, and four
phones.)

For file sync, I use a free 2GB Dropbox account with a third-party
Windows Mobile application called DroppedBoxx ($3 US at Handango.com) to
sync multiple folders on the device with my PC via Dropbox's cloud
storage service. I just periodically run the DroppedBoxx app on the
device and hit "Sync" and let it all happen over WiFi. This also lets me
access any synced file on my main phone from any connected PC or device
via a web interface. Another advantage is unlike Activesync, I'm not
limited to the device's "My Documents" folder. The app lets me sync
other folders on the device, including those on my storage card.

An obvious advantage to this strategy of cloud syncing is that it makes
moving to a new device or platform much easier. Aws much as I love and
rely on Windows Mobile, it's at its end-of-life, and migrating to a new
platform is inevitable. (I also have Android and Windows Phone 7 devices,
but still prefer Windows Mobile's power and flexibility.) iPhones, iPod
Touch, Symbian, Android, and the new Windows Phone 7s all support
Exchange Activesync, and all have Dropbox-compatible apps, so moving all
of your data to another device is extremely simple, without involving a
PC at all.

Good luck, and I'll be happy to provide whatever assistance I can
whatever the outcome.

Wolfgang Wienke

Jan 7, 2012, 12:27:30 PM1/7/12
Hi!
I did so, but it did not work.

> You mentioned you did a repair install of Activesync. You might try a
> complete uninstall followed by a reinstall if the above suggestion
> doesn't help.
Did not work too.

>>> If that doesn't work, look for an applet on the device in
>>> Settings/Connections called "USB-to-PC" and in it, uncheck "Enable
>>> Advanced Network Functionality" which will make the device connect in
>>> serial-over-USB mode rather than as a network adapter. That syncs a
>>> little slower, but is typically more reliable connecting.
>>
>> I do not have such an applet (FSC N560).
>

> If all of the above fails, I really don't have any other suggestions,
> other than trying Bluetooth or Infrared sync, depending on what your
> device supports, with the appropriate dongle on your PC, or to try and
> cope without desktop sync.
I'll will have to get a bluetooth dongle.
I do not need the sync for mail and adresses but only for programm
installation (if I only get an *.exe) and file transfer.
I think, I will habe to do this with the SD-card. I do not like a cloud.

Anyway I'm looking for a new PDA, but there are only smartphones left.
I want a device, which does not only show apps, but has a real file
explorer and allows to change configurations.
As far as I know, none of the new operation systems supports this, the
nearest ist android IMO.

Wolfgang Wienke

Jan 8, 2012, 5:25:41 PM1/8/12
Hi!
Am 07.01.2012 05:16, schrieb Todd Allcock:

> Good luck, and I'll be happy to provide whatever assistance I can
> whatever the outcome.
It would be very nice If you had a look at these logs. Maybe, you
understandwhat they mean.

I read Chris De Herrera's Windows CE Website "Active sync
troubleshooting" and found some hints. I proved, that all neccessary
services are started. PING works from PC to device and vice versa.
I copied these logs:

I found in WCESLog.log:
01/08/2012 18:53:40.234 **************** Logging Started****************
01/08/2012 18:53:40.234 Process
C:\Programme\MicrosoftActiveSync\WCESMgr.exe p(4024)
01/08/2012 18:59:49.531 p(3820) t(3884) TraceToFile -> ERROR in
CRAPIListener::AcceptConnection : hr = 0x8007274a - rapiconnection.cpp(268)
01/08/2012 18:59:49.531 p(3820) t(3884) TraceToFile -> ERROR in
CRAPIDesktopPrivate::ReceiveConnection : hr = 0x8007274a -
RAPIDesktopPriv.cpp(372)
01/08/2012 18:59:49.531 p(3820) t(3884) TraceToFile -> ERROR in
ServerThread : hr = 0x8007274a - rapimgr.cpp(493)
01/08/2012 18:59:49.531 p(3820) t(3824) RAPIMgr -> Disabling RAPIMgr
process for SessionID: 0, ProcessID: 3820 - rapimgr.cpp(2079)
01/08/2012 22:16:39.484 **************** Logging Started ****************
01/08/2012 22:16:39.484 Process C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\rapimgr.exe p(3684)
01/08/2012 22:16:39.484 p(3684) t(3688) RAPIMgr -> Enabling RAPIMgr
process for SessionID: 0, ProcessID: 3684 - rapimgr.cpp(1910)

and in WCESCOMM.log:
01/08/2012 23:02:15.265 - USB: RNDIS device id
\\?\USB#Vid_0bf8&Pid_1011#5&cb86d54&0&1#{a5dcbf10-6530-11d2-901f-00c04fb951ed}
01/08/2012 23:02:15.328 - USB: found RNDIS device id
USB\Vid_0bf8&Pid_1011&Rev_0000
01/08/2012 23:02:22.562 - USB RNDIS: Device Arrival notification
01/08/2012 23:05:14.953 - USB: RNDIS device id
\\?\USB#Vid_0bf8&Pid_1011#5&cb86d54&0&1#{a5dcbf10-6530-11d2-901f-00c04fb951ed}
01/08/2012 23:05:15.203 - USB: found RNDIS device id
USB\Vid_0bf8&Pid_1011&Rev_0000
01/08/2012 23:05:15.203 - USB RNDIS: Device Removal notification

Todd Allcock

Jan 14, 2012, 10:14:59 AM1/14/12
The logs really didn't say much- the error code you're getting,
0x8007274a, isn't specific- the code just means "connection error".

A few searches turned up little. The few people posting about that error
never found an actual solution, the few that did resolve it, did it by
turning off "advanced networking" (which your device doesn't support, and
in reality doesn't fix the problem, it just avoids the connection error by
using a different type of connection, much like using Bluetooth instead of
USB would) or a hard reset- wiping the device to its original state and
reinstalling everything. That seems pretty drastic, and would of course,
permanently lose any data added to the device since the last sync.

A few last things you might try, would be to delete the device partnership
from the device and the PC then try syncing. Someone theorized the
problem wasn't with Activesync, but with corrupt files in Outlook, and
breaking the partnership severs the connection with Outlook data as well.
I'm skeptical that that's a solution, but it wouldn't hurt to try it.

Other than that, I really don't have any advice other than basic generic
troubleshooting suggestions. Try syncing to a different PC to see if the
problem is in the PC or the device, or try to remember back to when the
problem first started and remember if anything in your system has changed
(new Windows updates, an update or change in your security software or
firewall, etc.) The last sync date/time should be visible in Activesync,
so you might even consider using a system restore point to rollback your
system to a time before the problem started and see if that fixes it.

Good luck! I am sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

-Todd