0x80072F7D

car...@gmail.com

Aug 10, 2007, 3:28:42 PM8/10/07

My company just upgraded their exchange server to 2003 SP2. Most
mobile device users still use sprint biz connect. I want to use
activesync to sync my phone with our exchange server. Sync always
fails with error 80072F7D. I have confirmed with my IT manager that
activesync is enabled on the server and that the servername and domain
are correct. I tried entering the wrong password to see if I would get
a different error but I did not. Im assuming this means that its
failing before authentication. I get the same error when I sync OTA or
using desktop passthrough. Im the only one using activesync so I don't
know if its just me. I tried using IP addresses instead of server and
domain names but I got the same error. I tried connecting over the air
to my previous employers exchange server (which I no longer have an
active user/pass) and the only error I got was a bad password error.
My IT manager has said he won't support activesync but if I can get it
to work then good for me. I think the problem is with the exchange
server but I don't know what. Im using a sprint mogul running WM6. My
IT manager won't troubleshoot this but if I had an idea what the
problem is he would likely be cool about it and check it out. Any
advice would greatly appreciated.

Carl Wolz [MSFT]

Aug 11, 2007, 4:08:14 PM8/11/07
ERROR_INTERNET_SECURITY_CHANNEL_ERROR = 0x80072f7d

Exchange Sync requires SSL, you will need to verify that the trusted root
cert is installed on the device.

This might be note worthy

"Windows CE-based devices do not recognize IIS server certificates signed by
using either the MD4 or RSA/SHA1 signature algorithms and rejects
certificates with the error: "ERROR_INTERNET_SECURITY_CHANNEL_ERROR". To be
acceptable to a Windows CE-based device, an IIS server certificate must be
signed using either the MD2 or MD5 signature algorithm."

Can anyone confirm that this is still true?

--
Carl Wolz [MSFT]
This Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

<car...@gmail.com> wrote in message

car...@gmail.com

Aug 12, 2007, 3:01:58 PM8/12/07
Thanks for your help, unfortunately root certs are not an area which I
am particularly knowledgeable. Could you suggest a link that may offer
me some advice as to how to determine if the correct root cert is on
my device?

many thanks

On Aug 11, 4:08 pm, "Carl Wolz [MSFT]" <ca...@online.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> ERROR_INTERNET_SECURITY_CHANNEL_ERROR = 0x80072f7d
>
> Exchange Sync requires SSL, you will need to verify that the trustedroot
> cert is installed on the device.
>
> This might be note worthy
>

> "Windows CE-based devices do not recognize IIS servercertificatessigned by
> using either the MD4 or RSA/SHA1 signature algorithms and rejectscertificateswith the error: "ERROR_INTERNET_SECURITY_CHANNEL_ERROR". To be

> acceptable to a Windows CE-based device, an IIS server certificate must be
> signed using either the MD2 or MD5 signature algorithm."
>
> Can anyone confirm that this is still true?
>
> --
> Carl Wolz [MSFT]
> This Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Carl Wolz [MSFT]

Aug 12, 2007, 6:46:55 PM8/12/07
I'm not too much of an expert in this area, but I would try to go to OWA
(Outlook Web Access) on the PC and click on the lock (lower right corner) in
Internet Explorer. It will give you detailed information on the server's
certificate. There should be a Certificate Path. The top entry should appear
on the list on the device (Smartphone: Settings->Security->Certificates or
PocketPC: Settings->System->Certificates->Root)

Also note, you HAVE to type the server's name as it appears on the cert. You
can't use the IP address unless the IP address was used to register the
server.

--
Carl Wolz [MSFT]
This Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

<car...@gmail.com> wrote in message

car...@gmail.com

Aug 12, 2007, 9:09:53 PM8/12/07
Thats an interesting suggestion. I had not noticed this before but our
OWA site is not a secure https site. There is no lock in the bottom
right hand corner. Im not sure how this is impacting my issue.

On Aug 12, 6:46 pm, "Carl Wolz [MSFT]" <ca...@online.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> I'm not too much of an expert in this area, but I would try to go to OWA
> (Outlook Web Access) on the PC and click on the lock (lower right corner) in
> Internet Explorer. It will give you detailed information on the server's
> certificate. There should be a Certificate Path. The top entry should appear
> on the list on the device (Smartphone: Settings->Security->Certificates or
> PocketPC: Settings->System->Certificates->Root)
>
> Also note, you HAVE to type the server's name as it appears on the cert. You
> can't use the IP address unless the IP address was used to register the
> server.
>
> --
> Carl Wolz [MSFT]
> This Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Steve

Sep 30, 2008, 1:29:07 AM9/30/08
Had this problem just now.

Turns out that Windows Mobile 6.1 (or earlier) can not handle SSL certificates greater than 4096 bits.

Once I re-keyed the SSL certificate to be 4096 bits the problem went away.

Chris De Herrera

Sep 30, 2008, 12:34:14 PM9/30/08
Thanks for the note. Was this for Exchange ActiveSync? Also, it sounds
like the issue is in importing the certificate.

--
Chris De Herrera
http://www.pocketpcfaq.com

kalenasprint-mogul

Jan 12, 2010, 5:39:57 AM1/12/10
I suddenly started having problems synchronizing when I decided to revert back to Vista on my laptop from Windows 7 while troubleshooting a battery problem that started as soon as I upgraded to Win7. Knowing it had been working with Exchange 2003 before and not wanting to have my techie-hubby fix it for me (being stubborn), I back-traced and tried fixing it from the mogul, but the passcode issue kept coming up when I tried to reconnect - no good. I then deleted the laptop as a Bluetwooth Device from my mogul and approached it from the Laptop side, as I thought it would be better to tie all the connections together and shoot one big "link" to the mogul vs. trying to make the mogul match all the right settings. (We host 5 of our own servers, all using Exchange and Server 2008.

ANYWAY, I opened the laptop Control Panel and then Bluetooth from the mogul and opened the "Control Panel", It found the mogul and immediately gave me a code to enter on the phone. Soon as I did, it automatically synchronized and worked great! We do have SSL securi

cardfa wrote:

0x80072F7D
10-Aug-07

On Friday, August 10, 2007 3:28 PM
cardfa wrote:

0x80072F7D

On Saturday, August 11, 2007 4:08 PM
Carl Wolz [MSFT] wrote:

ERROR_INTERNET_SECURITY_CHANNEL_ERROR = 0x80072f7dExchange Sync requires SSL,
ERROR_INTERNET_SECURITY_CHANNEL_ERROR = 0x80072f7d

Exchange Sync requires SSL, you will need to verify that the trusted root
cert is installed on the device.

This might be note worthy

"Windows CE-based devices do not recognize IIS server certificates signed by

using either the MD4 or RSA/SHA1 signature algorithms and rejects

certificates with the error: "ERROR_INTERNET_SECURITY_CHANNEL_ERROR". To be

acceptable to a Windows CE-based device, an IIS server certificate must be
signed using either the MD2 or MD5 signature algorithm."

Can anyone confirm that this is still true?

--
Carl Wolz [MSFT]
This Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

<car...@gmail.com> wrote in message

wrote:

advice would greatly appreciated

On Sunday, August 12, 2007 6:46 PM
Carl Wolz [MSFT] wrote:

I'm not too much of an expert in this area, but I would try to go to OWA
I'm not too much of an expert in this area, but I would try to go to OWA
(Outlook Web Access) on the PC and click on the lock (lower right corner) in
Internet Explorer. It will give you detailed information on the server's
certificate. There should be a Certificate Path. The top entry should appear
on the list on the device (Smartphone: Settings->Security->Certificates or
PocketPC: Settings->System->Certificates->Root)

Also note, you HAVE to type the server's name as it appears on the cert. You
can't use the IP address unless the IP address was used to register the
server.

--
Carl Wolz [MSFT]
This Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

<car...@gmail.com> wrote in message

On Sunday, August 12, 2007 9:09 PM
cardfa wrote:

Thats an interesting suggestion.

Thats an interesting suggestion. I had not noticed this before but our
OWA site is not a secure https site. There is no lock in the bottom
right hand corner. Im not sure how this is impacting my issue.

On Aug 12, 6:46 pm, "Carl Wolz [MSFT]" <ca...@online.microsoft.com>
wrote:

On Tuesday, September 30, 2008 1:29 AM
Steve wrote:

0x80072F7D

Had this problem just now.

Turns out that Windows Mobile 6.1 (or earlier) can not handle SSL certificates greater than 4096 bits.

Once I re-keyed the SSL certificate to be 4096 bits the problem went away.

On Tuesday, September 30, 2008 12:34 PM
Chris De Herrera wrote:

Thanks for the note. Was this for Exchange ActiveSync?
Thanks for the note. Was this for Exchange ActiveSync? Also, it sounds
like the issue is in importing the certificate.

"Steve" wrote in message news:20089301...@netwaynetworks.com.au...

How to make your Web Site More Googly
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/ed2489cf-efd0-46b9-a20b-e3ffb0363ac0/how-to-make-your-web-site.aspx

kalenasprint-mogul

Jan 12, 2010, 6:30:22 AM1/12/10
I've been having this problem since updating operating systems on my laptop. Since my Mogul kept asking for a device code and nothing would work, I decided to try to delete and reconnect FROM my laptop TO the phone instead. Here's what I did, and it worked like a charm!

IMPORTANT!!: After step 3, my laptop dropped my bluetooth mouse and keyboard, which I quickly reinstated while phone was synchronizing. Just wanted to mention it so you can be prepared with corded/wireless devices if needed.

Here is the process:
1. On your Mogul/PPC, Open your Bluetooth Devices REMOVE the computer as a Bluetooth Device.
2. Open Bluetooth Devices in computer's Control Panel. If the phone shows - delete it. Then search for your
PPC/phone to begin pairing.
3. When it locates your device, the computer will come pop up with a 9 or 10 digit code that you need to enter into the phone/ppc. Press Enter/OK when done and synchronization should start immediately.
4. Reconnect other bluetooth devices if needed!

cardfa wrote:

0x80072F7D

On Saturday, August 11, 2007 4:08 PM
Carl Wolz [MSFT] wrote:

many thanks

On Tuesday, January 12, 2010 5:39 AM
Kalena Sprint-Mogul wrote:

Fix for Active Sync error 0x80072F7D with mobile 6.1 and Server/Exchange 2008

[...]

Styling WPF UI using Resource Dictionaries
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/d7aa2411-c4bd-463d-89fe-3a58a615c3d7/styling-wpf-ui-using-reso.aspx