SYNCING WITH TWO EXCHANGE SERVERS -- SOLVED

cseilern

Sep 16, 2006, 12:38:29 PM9/16/06
As of Activesync 4.x, for some unfathomable reason, MSFT has removed
the possibility to sync one device with two exchange servers, or two
PC's connected to excahnge servers. This drive me insane when I bought
my first WM5 device. But after much googleing, I found a workaround.

So, to sync two exchange servers, put this in the device's registry:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ActiveSync\EnableNonLocalCrossPollination]
= (DWORD) 1

This key will most probably be there already, but if it is, its value
will be 0. If so, change it to 1.

Soft reset, then, setup activesync ON THE DEVICE (If you try setting up
on the PC, it will still fail).

I'm now syncing an Exchange connected PC with with another Exchange
Server directly - work like a CHARM.

(thanks to Chris de Herrera for the registry key hint)

Chris De Herrera

Sep 16, 2006, 5:10:26 PM9/16/06
Hi,
The reasoning for this limitation is that most companies do not want their
data copied to another company.

--
Chris De Herrera
http://www.pocketpcfaq.com

ActiveSync 4.x Troubleshooting Guide -
http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/faqs/activesync/tshoot-as4x.htm

"cseilern" <csei...@gmail.com> wrote in message

csei...@collins-stewart.com

Oct 3, 2006, 10:54:12 AM10/3/06
Hi Chris

I see your point. But as with the castrating of WiFi syncing, I suspect
that MSFT just ticked off more users (who ended using workarounds)
instead of figuring out how to make it open AND secure (how about some
policies?).