Trying to Determine CTI Implementation of Current Environment

Anthony M. Davis

Feb 2, 2006, 8:33:25 PM2/2/06
Hi all,

I'm new to TAPI and I'm trying to deduce how the CTI implementation works in
our current environment.

We are an inbound call center and have a Comdial FXT model PBX and a
CTI/Voice Mail server running Windows 2000 Pro on a Windows 2003 Active
Directory domain. I'm a little fuzzy on the TSP/MSP/TAPI relationships
going on here, as I don't know enough about the technologies involvled yet.
All I know is the CTI server is running something called "WideOpen.office"
on TCP port 1024. This is a 32-bit server version. We also have a client
application called Impact Attendant on a few of the managers' workstations
to enable them to monitor real-time call activity. This application uses a
16-bit client version of "WideOpen.office" to communicate with the server
and requires the installer to specify the server's IP and port number during
setup.

(Is anybody familiar with these products?)

With that said, I'm slightly disoriented here because I expected to be able
to instantiate some TAPI 3.1 COM object and invoke some method to connect to
the CTI server by passing it's LAN IP address and port # (1024), then being
able to enumerate the lines and whatnot from the returned object. Of course,
a few minutes of browsing through MSDN docs on TAPI/TSPI/MSPI and I realized
the process is might be more complex.

I installed the WideOpen.Office client on my XP SP2 workstation, assuming I
would need it. I expected to see an additional TSP in TELEPHON.CPL, but I
still only had the TSPs provided with Windows:

Microsoft H.323 Telephony Service Provider
Microsoft HID Phone TSP
Microsoft Multicast Conference TAPI Service Provider
NDIS Proxy TAPI Service Provider
TAPI Kernel-Mode Service Provider
Unimodem 5 Service Provider

I then checked TELEPHON.CPL on the managers' workstations and these are the
only TSPs listed on theirs' as well. Therefore, I'm not sure which, if any,
of these TSPs is being used by the WideOpen.office clients. Maybe the
WideOpen.office really is its own TSP, but it doesn't expose itself to the
control panel listing due to it's ancient 16-bit architecture?

I then thought I might be able to bypass this WideOpen.office client by
using the Microsoft Windows Remote Service Provider (remotesp.tsp) so I ran:

tcmsetup /c cti-vm-srvr

(sidenote: after further testing, I found that tcmsetup reports success upon
completion even if the server name provided does not exist on the network)

Needless to say, I was disappointed when I open tapimgmt.msc and saw "There
are no items to show in this view." under the Microsoft Windows Remote
Service Provider node.

I'm hoping somebody can help shed some light on the relationships between
components here because it is not evident to me. Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks,

Tony

Matthias Moetje [MVP]

Feb 3, 2006, 9:23:51 AM2/3/06
Anthony,

if there is no local TSP installed that provides a proprietary client/server
infrastructure, the remote TSP is the right way to go.

To be able to see any lines after using tcmsetup, you need to assign the
lines to users on the server. First you need to check if there is at least a
TSP installed at the server (normally the server is connected via a serial
cable or other link to the PBX). Then you open the telephony adminstration
console to assign lines to users.

You can find more information in Andreas' FAQ:

http://www.i-b-a-m.de/Andreas_Marschall's_TAPI_and_TSPI_FAQ.htm#_Q:_What_is_10

Best regards,

Matthias Moetje
-------------------------------------
TERASENS GmbH
Augustenstraße 24
80333 Munich, GERMANY
-------------------------------------
Fon: +49 89 143370-0
Fax: +49 89 143370-22
e-mail: moetje at terasens dot com
www: www.terasens.com
-------------------------------------

"Anthony M. Davis" <to...@fnwarranty.com> wrote in message

Andreas Marschall [MVP TAPI]

Feb 3, 2006, 9:30:31 AM2/3/06
"Anthony M. Davis" <to...@fnwarranty.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> We are an inbound call center and have a Comdial FXT model PBX and a
> CTI/Voice Mail server running Windows 2000 Pro on a Windows 2003 Active
> Directory domain.

Tony, in addition to Matthias' reply
for MS TAPI client/server architecture you need a server OS on the Telephony
server.
W2k Pro is a client OS.

--
Best Regards
Andreas Marschall

Anthony M. Davis

Feb 3, 2006, 10:02:16 AM2/3/06
Thanks, Andreas. Then how do you suppose the supervisors' Impact Attendant
apps are working? (I know they use the so-called "WideOpen.office" software
on both client & server.)

Tony

"Andreas Marschall [MVP TAPI]" <Andreas....@I-B-A-M.de> wrote in
message news:eCi6k5M...@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

Grant Schenck

Feb 3, 2006, 10:04:28 AM2/3/06
In addition to what Mathias and Andreas have said, be aware that TAPI 3.x is
not supported from .NET (you didn't mention your development environment.)

Also, you mention MSP. Media support is not provided via MS' client/server
architecture.
--
Grant Schenck
http://grantschenck.tripod.com

"Anthony M. Davis" <to...@fnwarranty.com> wrote in message

Andreas Marschall [MVP TAPI]

Feb 3, 2006, 10:11:41 AM2/3/06

> Thanks, Andreas. Then how do you suppose the supervisors' Impact Attendant
> apps are working? (I know they use the so-called "WideOpen.office" software
> on both client & server.)

Tony,
you said that there is no additional TSP to see either on client than on
"server".
Hence I presume your CTI implementation is proprietary and doesn't use TAPI at
all.
Does the manufacturer claim to be TAPI-compliant?
Please provice a link to your CTI solution for reference.

BTW It is recommended to post TAPI questions only to the managed TAPI
newsgroup:
microsoft.public.win32.programmer.tapi

Anthony M. Davis

Feb 3, 2006, 10:21:42 AM2/3/06
Thanks, Matthias. Yes, the CTI/Voice Mail server has 3 serial connections to
the PBX, but the only TSPs listed are:

Microsoft H.323 Telephony Service Provider

Microsoft Multicast Conference TAPI Service Provider
NDIS Proxy TAPI Service Provider
TAPI Kernel-Mode Service Provider
Unimodem 5 Service Provider

The "WideOpen.office" server process must be running, however, in order for
the Impact Attendant supervisor software to work. Perhaps it can be
deduced, based on Andreas' reply, that since the CTI server is only running
Win2k Pro (not a server OS), the CTI software we use does not conform to a
true MS TAPI client/server architecture?

Tony

"Matthias Moetje [MVP]" <moetje@terasens_nospam_.de> wrote in message

Anthony M. Davis

Feb 3, 2006, 11:02:24 AM2/3/06
Thanks, I didn't realize that TAPI isn't part of the .NET framework. Looks
like I'll be using C++.

Tony

"Grant Schenck" <sche...@optonline.net> wrote in message