Help With Error-1639 Invalid command line argument

Larry Hall

Nov 14, 2007, 7:23:00 PM11/14/07
In the process of trying to install PeachTree software I encountered error
message - "1639 - Invalid command line argument. Consult Windows Installer
SDK for detailed command line help." I repeated the process several times
with the same result.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry

Navas

Jun 28, 2008, 3:05:01 AM6/28/08

Dianne

Jan 8, 2009, 4:34:14 PM1/8/09
I am having the exact same problem. I have tried a couple of the registry
fixing programs, but to no avail. I hope we get some answers' Navas!

sidebender

Mar 12, 2009, 6:50:01 PM3/12/09
You may need to remove a bad instance of the InstallShield entry for
Peachtree that "misfired" using the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.

Follow these steps:

1. In Internet Explorer, open the web link
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301.
2. The Microsoft Support article titled "Description of the Windows
Installer Cleanup Utility" appears. Scroll down the web page until you see
the phrase The following file is available for download from the Microsoft
Download Center. Click the web link Download the Windows Installer Cleanup
Utility package now.
3. If the message prompt "Do you want to run or save this file?" appears,
click Run.
4. The "Windows Installer Clean Up Setup" window appears. Click Next.
5. Select "I accept the License Agreement". Click Next.
6. Click Next to begin the installation process.
7. The installation screens appear.
8. The "Windows Installer Clean Up has been successfully installed"
window appears. Click Finish.
9. From the Start menu, open "Windows Installer Clean Up".
10. In the "Installed Products" section of the wizard, highlight the
release of Peachtree Accounting you wish to uninstall. Click Remove.
11. Click Exit.
12. Remove the program INI file from the following directories depending
on the operating system:
13. a. Windows XP/Vista: C:\WINDOWS
14. b. Windows 2000: C:\WINNT
15. Reinstall Peachtree Accounting.