MUI shortcut

shahabl

Nov 6, 2009, 3:21:01 PM11/6/09
I would like get more detailed information on how to create the MUI shortcut
with Windows Installer. I have seen the following MSDN article, but the
information is not enough:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa816179(VS.85).aspx

Adrian Accinelli

Nov 12, 2009, 5:22:19 PM11/12/09
"shahabl" <sha...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Are you looking for a prebuilt sample of some sort? I don't think there is
one from Microsoft anyways.

Unfortunately with many of the MSDN Windows Installer "examples" you don't
always get all the field contents listed on the page. Which means that
often you need to create your own fake data to place in a field in order to
actually create such a row in an MSI editor (like orca).

Essentially the point of the page is that you need to use latest schema for
Shortcut table and fill out the new fields including DisplayResourceDLL,
DisplayResourceId, DescriptionResourceDLL, and DescriptionResourceId. The
end result of using this new table and populated fields is that instead of
an actual string in the shortcut file you end up with MUI resource path and
id for both title and description.
e.g. C:\Program Files\Something\YourApp.exe,-25.
For older Windows Installer versions the new fields are not used and it uses
original shortcut table filename and description.

The Path YourApp.exe must have proper YourApp.exe.MUI files located in
appropriate folders for the shortcut to correctly switch strings when UI
language changes. This is why the example talks about file table and new
components. This aspect is discussed in MSDN pages for MUI itself rather
than those for the Windows Installer.

Do you have a specific question?

Sincerely,
Adrian Accinelli

information is helpful@discussions.microsoft.com That information is helpful

Nov 25, 2009, 9:40:02 PM11/25/09
Dear Adrian Accinelli,
I am Sean Gao, colleague of Shahab, thanks for your information. that's
helpful. I will try it and let you know if I have more questions. thanks
again.

Regards,
Sean