Is Install Per User or Per Machine?

Dennis Bareis

Aug 23, 2004, 7:18:23 PM8/23/04
Hi,

This is either a hole in the API or I'm missing something obvious.

During an install how can I tell if the install is per-user or
per-machine?
Windows Installer obviously makes this decision at some stage.
The ALLUSERS property can't be used.
A verbose log doesn't show any likely properties.
There appears to nothing in the condition syntax to support it.
The Mode method of the session object doesn't supply it.
No other objects seem to supply it.

Any ideas? At this stage I'll call this a limitation (if only in
documentation)...

I probably wouldn't care too much if it wasn't for the limitation in
the "Environment" table where unlike the "Registry" table I can't
leave the per-user/per-machine decision up to Windows Installer.

Thanks for any info,
Dennis

Phil Wilson

Aug 24, 2004, 12:41:11 AM8/24/04
Why can't ALLUSERS be used?
--
Phil Wilson
[MVP Windows Installer]
"Dennis Bareis" <dba...@labyrinth.net.au> wrote in message

"Martin v. Löwis"

Aug 24, 2004, 2:28:15 AM8/24/04
Phil Wilson wrote:
> Why can't ALLUSERS be used?

It doesn't work on W9X. Of course, I *think* the
expression

Version9X or (ALLUSERS=1) or (ALLUSERS=2 and Privileged)

might be pretty close to determining whether this is an
allusers install - except that, on W9x, allusers depends
on whether the system has user profiles or not.

Regards,
Martin

Dennis Bareis

Aug 24, 2004, 5:16:37 AM8/24/04

Thanks, I'd guessed that it was going to be something like that but I
was hoping that Windows Installer was smarter than that (I should have
known better).

You'd think that MS could at least have documented the workaround to
this issue (a condition that complicated is not something we should
have to guess). But again I suppose only a small fraction of what you
need to know is documented..

I'll use your condition as it is close to my "worrst case scenario
guess".

Bye,
Dennis

Dennis Bareis (dba...@KillSpam.labyrinth.net.au)
http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~dbareis/index.htm

Freeware automated MSI creation or updating tool (overnight builds etc):
http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~dbareis/makemsi.htm