ISAPI file sync. help

Sled66

Jan 6, 2010, 5:55:02 PM1/6/10
hi,
I have an isapi ext that creates/updates gifs that are used in iis5. The
trouble is that this could cause problems if a web request tries to access
the gif while they're being deleted/updated. So how do I protect them?
Thanks for any help.

David Wang

Jan 7, 2010, 1:27:16 AM1/7/10

This is not an ISAPI issue. You have the general problem of updating a
shared resource that can be accessed by multiple threads, which you
need to somehow synchronize. The problem has nothing to do with ISAPI
nor IIS, and likewise the solution has nothing to do with ISAPI nor
IIS.

If the ISAPI is creating/updating GIFs which are directly accessible
by URL, then you have no choice other than hope users will hit F5
again to reload the GIF.

If you abstract access to the GIF resources and introduce
synchronization, either using a database or even an ISAPI Extension
using parameters to provide GIF resources, then you can resolve the
issue.

//David
http://w3-4u.blogspot.com
http://blogs.msdn.com/David.Wang