How to parse msExchRecordedName?

Kartik Subbarao

Dec 2, 2009, 9:51:10 AM12/2/09
I'm trying to parse the recorded name attribute in Active Directory
(msExchRecordedName) stored by a Cisco Unity voicemail server. I'm using
the OpenLDAP version of ldapsearch on a Linux system:

% ldapsearch -x -t -h ad.server.name cn=username msExchRecordedName

I get the binary contents of the msExchRecordedName attribute
successfully dumped to a file in /tmp. But here's where I get stuck.
This file seems to have no resemblance to an audio file.

It looks like this attribute is stored as a Unicode String (UTF-16LE),
with attributeSyntax 2.5.5.12 and oMSyntax 64. But I've tried using
iconv to convert this and no matter which formats I use, can't seem to
decode the original binary from this.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction here?

Thanks,

-Kartik

Kartik Subbarao

Dec 2, 2009, 2:31:07 PM12/2/09

Figured it out. The binary contents of the msExchRecordedName attribute
are actually stored in UTF-8. The UTF-16LE values can be recovered with
this:

iconv -f utf-8 -t utf-16le msexchrecordedname.raw > recordedname.wav.base64

As the extension implies, the resulting UTF-16LE file is a base64 file
which can be decoded to reveal the WAV file. Problem solved!

-Kartik