I need a replacement for Picture It 99

sandy

Apr 29, 2010, 8:52:42 AM4/29/10
I am trouble finding a decent replacement for Picture It '99. Microsoft no
longer supports or creates such programs. Searching the net has proved
difficult cause they lie.
Anyone know of a program like Picture It that is not too massive, has photo
editing, produces seamless collages with transparencies, saves and prints in
different formats, has frames, works with Vista, and is as easy to use?
A lot to ask for, I know.

John Inzer

Apr 29, 2010, 10:20:08 AM4/29/10
=================================
A lot to read...I know...but maybe it will be useful
to you.

MS Picture It! changed to MS Digital Image and
the latest/last version of Digital Image was 2006.

Microsoft Digital Image Suite 2006 Anniversary
Edition was optimized for Vista but any of the
2006 versions will work with Vista with the
compatibility patch.

MS Digital Image 2006
*Vista Compatibility* Update
http://tinyurl.com/w5u58
or...
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ef930fe7-8dfd-4a5c-9bef-084cfa691104&DisplayLang=en
(Not required for the Anniversary Edition)

All of your old Picture It! .mix files will be compatible.

It is possible to find retail copies of the 2006 version
at online sites like eBay and Amazon.

There is still a 60 day trial version available for
download if you would like to try it.

Microsoft Digital Image
Starter Edition 2006
http://tinyurl.com/28loxr
or...
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7C3B3DED-A15F-48C5-B724-7796FE8C151E&displaylang=en
(this product line has been
discontinued but you can still
download the Starter Version
and run it for 60 days)

Unlike the retail version...the trial does not
have the ability to create VCDs and it does
not include the clipart and pre-formatted
projects.

--

Volunteer J - MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

sandy

Apr 30, 2010, 9:11:09 AM4/30/10

"John Inzer" <oo...@doobie.zyx> wrote in message

I downloaded the 60 day Digital Image starter version, It worked fine with
my Vista but the updates no longer work. I suppose I would have been better
off to try to download the Anniversary Edition. Thanks for the information,
but I still would like to find a replacement. A current application that
could do all Picture It would do.
Do you think Microsoft has any plans to produce a new program?

John Inzer

Apr 30, 2010, 10:41:01 AM4/30/10
sandy wrote:
> I downloaded the 60 day Digital Image starter version, It worked fine
> with my Vista but the updates no longer work. I suppose I would have
> been better off to try to download the Anniversary Edition. Thanks
> for the information, but I still would like to find a replacement. A
> current application that could do all Picture It would do.
> Do you think Microsoft has any plans to produce a new program?
====================================
First...I'm just wondering...have you tried running
PI99 on your Vista machine in Compatibility Mode?

Windows Vista - Make older programs run in this
version of Windows
http://tinyurl.com/24nzgo9
or.....
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows

Also...try:

Right click the executable (desktop shortcut) and
from the menu...choose...Properties / Compatibility tab.

Check the box..."Run As Administrator" / Apply / OK.

Try to open the program.

Now back to the original question...

Not sure which updates you are referring to...the
Starter (trial) version does not require an update.

Digital Image 2006 will do what Picture It! does...
actually...it is Picture It! they just changed the name.

I have a .pdf copy of the 2006 owners manual. If
you're interested...let me know and I'll upload it
to a site where you can download a copy.

As far as I know...MS has no plans to release any
new digital image editing programs.

sandy

May 4, 2010, 9:05:59 AM5/4/10
John... thanks for the responses. I still haven't unpacked my Picture It 99.
But I am sure I'll find it soon. I will be trying the compatibility change.

What I am looking for are frames and seamless collages. But now, after
downloading and looking at DI2006 and not finding frames... they were grayed
out, trying the update (which was discontinued by Microsoft) I'm beginning
to wonder if PI99 ever had frames. I can't remember. DI2006 did have the
ability to make transparencies and seamless collages but no framing ability,
and I find it more difficult to maneuver.

Thanks again,
Sandy

"John Inzer" <oo...@doobie.zyx> wrote in message

John Inzer

May 4, 2010, 11:32:28 AM5/4/10
sandy wrote:
> John... thanks for the responses. I still haven't unpacked my Picture
> It 99. But I am sure I'll find it soon. I will be trying the
> compatibility change.
> What I am looking for are frames and seamless collages. But now, after
> downloading and looking at DI2006 and not finding frames... they were
> grayed out, trying the update (which was discontinued by Microsoft)
> I'm beginning to wonder if PI99 ever had frames. I can't remember.
> DI2006 did have the ability to make transparencies and seamless
> collages but no framing ability, and I find it more difficult to
> maneuver.
> Thanks again,
> Sandy
===============================
Maybe you can run PI99 on your system.

Yes...the retail version of DIS2006 has frames.

Good luck finding software that works for you.

kimlizzy

May 4, 2010, 7:54:07 PM5/4/10
DIS2006 has frames, both ready made and also the ability to make your own
from an image on your computer BUT the clipart/frames that come in DIS and
PI are only 150ppi and probably not the best for printing. The way around
it is to make your frame (Effects/Edges/Frames). Make a new canvas at
300ppi then drag the frame onto the new canvas.

If there is anything specific you want to do in DIS just yell and I 'll be
able to help you.

Kim

"John Inzer" <oo...@doobie.zyx> wrote in message

John Inzer

May 4, 2010, 9:34:52 PM5/4/10
kimlizzy wrote:
> DIS2006 has frames, both ready made and also the ability to make your
> own from an image on your computer BUT the clipart/frames that come
> in DIS and PI are only 150ppi and probably not the best for printing.
> The way around it is to make your frame (Effects/Edges/Frames). Make
> a new canvas at 300ppi then drag the frame onto the new canvas.
>
> If there is anything specific you want to do in DIS just yell and I
> 'll be able to help you.
>
> Kim
================================
As always...thanks for your input Kim...

I think if Sandy will give DIS2006 a chance
she will find it to be everything she hoped
for and more.

AFAIK...there is nothing on the market (even
to this day) that is even close to having the
level of editing power coupled with ease of
use that the Picture It!/Digital Image line had.

Cheers...

hachettdan

May 10, 2010, 10:27:01 PM5/10/10

Hi, i know its been along time since you posted this but I have PI200,and
PI2001.And I've noticed that it has the same problems unless I install it on
xp with sp1.But if I try to put it on after sp2 updates it fails,and the
newer Picture it programs suck,but I have a standalone of each if you need 2
borough it

sandy

May 11, 2010, 9:40:28 AM5/11/10
Thanks for your offer. I have gotten my PI99 to work successfully with Vista
Home Basic. It started up and runs complete with no problems.
Sandy

"hachettdan" <hache...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message