Picture It'99 and Vista

sandy

Apr 2, 2010, 9:52:04 AM4/2/10
Hi. Can I safely add my previously purchased Picture It '99 to my new Vista
Home Basic operating system. I have disc. I really liked using Picture It
'99 better than 2000.

John Inzer

Apr 2, 2010, 11:14:21 AM4/2/10
=======================================
No guarantees that everyone will have the same result
but I installed PI99 on a Vista system with no problems.
(this was before any Service Packs were released for
Vista so I don't know if that would make a difference)

(FWIW...it's always a good idea to create a System
Restore point before installing software or updates)

BTW...MS Picture It! eventually became MS Digital Image
and the best version for Vista was the last version.
There's still a 60 day trial version available if you would
like to see what it's like.

Microsoft Digital Image
Starter Edition 2006
http://tinyurl.com/28loxr
or...
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7C3B3DED-A15F-48C5-B724-7796FE8C151E&displaylang=en
(this product line has been
discontinued but you can still
download the Starter Version
and run it for 60 days)

--

J. Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

sandy

Apr 4, 2010, 8:50:49 AM4/4/10

"John Inzer" <oo...@doobie.zyx> wrote in message

Thanks John for answering promptly. Once I get unpacked, after moving across
the country, I will try uploading '99.

John Inzer

Apr 4, 2010, 2:03:22 PM4/4/10
sandy wrote:
> Thanks John for answering promptly. Once I get unpacked, after moving
> across the country, I will try uploading '99.
You're welcome.

Thanks for the update.

sandy

May 6, 2010, 8:32:38 AM5/6/10
Hi John. I have found my Picture It '99 disc and am about to install it. At
what stage of the installation do I use the compatibility program to make it
work with Vista?
You said

"Right click the executable (desktop shortcut) and
from the menu...choose...Properties / Compatibility tab.
Check the box..."Run As Administrator" / Apply / OK.
Try to open the program."

As I am installing from disc, and not wanting to screw things up, I am a bit
apprehensive. I also don't know how to create a restore point. I have never
made a backup or a restore point before. My hard drive seems to have half
its space partitioned into what's called 'D drive - Data'. Is that where a
back-up would go? It is currently totally empty. Is creating a restore point
the same as creating a back-up?

There are things I've just never learned about windows, even though I've
been using for over 12 years.
So once again, my questions are:
How do I make a restore point, and
At what stage of the install do I use the compatibility feature.

Thanks for your help.
Sandy

"John Inzer" <oo...@doobie.zyx> wrote in message

John Inzer

May 6, 2010, 10:25:56 AM5/6/10
sandy wrote:
> How do I make a restore point, and
====================================
Maybe the following links will be useful:

Windows Vista -
System Restore:
frequently asked questions
http://tinyurl.com/ycukdl5
or.....
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/System-Restore-frequently-asked-questions

Using Windows Vista
System Restore
http://tinyurl.com/2qhd77
or...
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-system-restore/
====================================

> At what stage of the install do I use the compatibility feature.

====================================
First...create a System Restore point. Then if
the installation causes issues...you can use the
Restore Point to revert your system to a time
before the installation.

Second...install PI99. If the install goes well...try
to run the program. If it will not run...maybe the
following info will help.:

Windows Vista - Make older programs run in this
version of Windows
http://tinyurl.com/24nzgo9
or.....
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows

Also...try:

Right click the executable (PI99 desktop shortcut) and

from the menu...choose...Properties / Compatibility tab.

Check the box..."Run As Administrator" / Apply / OK.

Try to open the program.

--

Volunteer J - MS-MVP

sandy

May 7, 2010, 6:48:48 AM5/7/10
The install of PI99 was successful and runs perfectly without having to use
the compatibility feature.
Thank you for your patience and knowledge. Now I can make the image mobile
in time for my 4th grandchild's birth.

Sandy

"John Inzer" <oo...@doobie.zyx> wrote in message

John Inzer

May 7, 2010, 8:08:44 AM5/7/10
sandy wrote:
> The install of PI99 was successful and runs perfectly without having
> to use the compatibility feature.
> Thank you for your patience and knowledge. Now I can make the image
> mobile in time for my 4th grandchild's birth.
>
> Sandy
Excellent news!

You're quite welcome and thank you for the update.